Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Recommended Charities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the last few months I've been selling a lot of stuff on eBay...mostly old electronics from my grandfather's shop. He passed away several years ago, and rather than throw away perfectly good equipment, I have become the designated family auctioneer.

I see that eBay now allows a certain portion of the sale to be contributed to a charity. Because I'm not exactly out to profit on my grandpa's stuff (other than to bring in a couple bucks for the hours it takes me to sell it) I'd like to contribute to our region. It won't be a lot of money - but every little bit counts, right? He lived in Detroit/Redford for 50+ years, after travelling from Syracuse, NY to install the original transmitter for Channel 2 in Southfield. He worked there until the mid-80's.

So, what are some good, reputable charities I can contribute to? This is of course assuming eBay's system is set up for them...

(Message edited by wazootyman on June 12, 2007)

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I recommend Children's Hospital of Michigan? CHM treats patients across the region, and does so without regard of ability to pay. That said, pediatric care is expensive, so any support the hospital receives goes to help area children. You can contact their Development Office, and I know someone there will be happy to help.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try this one...it's called Let's Help Out, Detroit!...they do things like park/playground rehabilitation in the Detroit area, and put together school supply and book drives for DPS schools

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=93684380&MyToken =b669b2fa-83bd-4750-a157-2af5a 580f2ab

http://www.lhod.org/

I used to be involved a great deal with this but I'm less active in it now that I'm fairly busy...

but it's run by a UofD law student named Bonnie Roberts who has put together some amazing projects

also, they are a 501(c)(3) non-profit...

(Message edited by thejesus on June 12, 2007)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with CHM...and Ronald McDonald House that puts up the families of sick kids.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much coin are you talking about? Would it be worth creating a trust fund to annually give the interest/investment income to a charity or maybe an electronics college scholarship to a Detroit/Redford youth?

Even $200/semester would help a poor kid in the city. While growing the principle to some degree for the future?

Can HR at channel 2 tell you if he did charitible giving to any favorite charities? You may also find the same info in his past tax returns. "In Memory of _____ _____" gifts are good alternatives.

The suggestions here are fine. Take the full amount of the sale and do the charitable giving yourself in equal shares to your family's inheritance from your grandfather. Or give it all away in a lump sum if you want to be finished with the project.

Don't trust Ebay. They are making money on the "float", I'll bet your last nickel on it.

James

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the above, I'm just tossing out ideas... The amount isn't important.

The intentions are, and your's and your family's are honorable. Thank you sir (Not sure what a Wazootyman is?).

James

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salvation Army has the best reputation for getting the most value to the targeted recipients, or so I've heard many times.

(not affiliated)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.