Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » More software jobs coming to the city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The moves announced by Compuware on Monday mean more software development work will be concentrated in Detroit, although company officials would not say how many jobs could be added here

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/B IZ/706120365&theme=Biz-Compuwa re

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about role reversal. In this case the shots are being called from Detroit and it's the jobs in Detroit that get saved/added. Usually we're on the short end of decisions made elsewhere, or in the case of the auto industries, decisions made right here that still hurt the city.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikipedia's Compuware article

Can anyone say what it's like to work there? What distinguishing characteristics does Compuware have as an employer? Do they encourage creativity or prefer that employees follow procedures? Both? Is there anything special about this connection with Poland?

quote:

"We are bringing more development work to Detroit, and we are always looking for talented people locally," said Lisa Elkin, Compuware vice president for communication and investor relations.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Poland thing is new, at least in the last couple of years.

It used to be a great place to work at, great benefits, change for advancement, training, etc.

I can not speak about the post Tommi White era.

Of course many in the industry will criticize this move and they are again shedding their product talent.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have worked there for many years and it has changed a lot. But that's to be expected when you become a public company.

Unfortunately, the company hasn't really changed with the times. Pete still tries to run the company as if it only had 100 employees.

Creativity is always encouraged but on the other hand you have to deal with antiquated systems that are still fed by paper! They are trying to change but with so much bureaucracy in place it's a slooooowwww process.

The Poland connection is due to a company we bought a while back that handle's the bulk of our network software development.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Formerspringgardener, thanks.

Understood. I've automated a few paper bureaucracies. Something like that might help him get this new efficiency he's seeking.

I'm tempted to send a resume. I have a boatload of software experience but I don't really need a job. I would like to help if there's a genuine need though. I'm still on the fence.

Is the employee turnover very high? Maybe not if you've been there for many years.

I love Compuware's committment to Detroit. That's very admirable for a corporation.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6040
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! more software jobs. Way to go Granholm! Stay the course.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5632
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, that was the first thing that struck me, that for once, and this is a very rare occurence, Detroit comes out on the top of downsizing and offshoring.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get a few more corporations in the city to make this more commonplace.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside of Compuware, what corporations currently have their IT in or near downtown Detroit?

Where do the GM Software Engineers work? Many years ago a large number of them were out in Warren - I think it was called something like the GM Tech Center.

I was wondering what kind of GM employees work in the RenCen? Any techies?

Also, did'nt Comerica and NBD have (some of) it's IT in downtown Detroit at some point?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Formerspringgardener, So you where around for the good times, pre Tommi White, DPRC and Spending spree, and from what it sounds like you were spared the multiple cuts she engineered to transfer the company into kelly services. How was after she was forced to leave?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was wondering what kind of GM employees work in the RenCen? Any techies? "

EDS was in the Ren Cen at one point (they handled GM's IT). I don't know if they are still there.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EDS occupies all of Tower 500 and still handles a significant portion of GM's IT support, as well as other clients. The logo is on the top of the building and is visible from Jefferson.

~Liza

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try to keep tabs on the downtown IT situation, although I don't work downtown (unfortunately). Aside from Compuware and EDS, I've seen Java/J2EE-related IT job postings at OnStar (also GM related), and at Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I don't know if EDS typically hires experienced IT people, or if they mainly just hire entry level. I remember back in the old days (80's/early 90's), EDS had an indentured servant type of hiring setup where they mainly hired entry level, but you had to go off to a boot camp style training in Texas for several weeks, and then if you left the company within the first 3 years, you paid a penalty. I don't believe they still do that, though.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work for EDS at the old GM building back in '99. They went from there to Southfield, then down to the Rencen, then back out to Southfield. I think they are now back downtown again.

Everyone in my group was an experienced IT person, but I think other departments did hire entry level personnel.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is what I recall about EDS (and GM) as well. I had a friend who worked in IT for EDS on "contract" to GM. At that time, the early to mid 80's, EDS and the GM IT offices were in the GM Tech Center in Warren.

As far the banks, I think the old Bank of the Commonwealth (anyone remember them!) and NBD had IT in downtown Detroit.

I'll also have to assume the City of Detroit has it's IT somewhere in downtown Detroit.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my first job with EDS and went through that program. Got some great training with it. Unfortunately they kept cutting back on it and I'm not even sure they are still doing it.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the 500 tower. There are 1000+ EDS employees there and spread around the other GM towers. There are alot of GM IT folks in the Ren Cen as well. The old boot camp program is gone, EDS does not seem to hire entry level any more - those jobs are overseas.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what kind of dynamic downtown would have if these 1,000 workers were in another downtown office building and not the highly disconnected Ren Cen. 93typhoon, do many of your colleagues go out to lunch in other parts of downtown? Do the vast majority stay in the Wintergarden/River promenade area (not that there is anything wrong with taking advantage of those great places)?

I know that I certainly don't like that sea of riverfront parking used by RenCen workers. Does GM have any realistic plans to unload any of these surface lots for mixed use development sometime soon?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5633
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM announced quite a few years back, now, that these parking lots are part of their RiverEast plan, and two developers were chosen last year (or was it 2005?) to start developing some of the lots. There has been no information since then, though, but there are definitely plans.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_
I assume you mean how is it after she was let go. It's seems to me that prior to her departure, Pete was ready to retire and leave the company in someone elses hands. After she didn't she prove to be the person he hoped for he has taken it upon himself to "save" his company. IMHO most of the decisions that have been made are for the better and should have been done long ago. Still more dead wood to trim from the tree.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Compuware bringing more development jobs to Detroit but as someone who is in the technology industry I can say they are becoming irrelevant in the IT marketplace.

93typhoon
Username: 93typhoon

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw -
Most EDS'er are from the burbs and get in and out as fast as they can. As i move from project to project i am surprised how many have never been downtown. That said, many are out on the riverwalk now, and many go into greektown for lunch and group outings. It takes time for people to get used to working downtown, and there is constant turnover between this EDS site and others in Troy, Warren, Pontiac.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info. Kind of what I predicted. I'll just repeat the obvious: the Ren Cen really doesn't enable or encourage these workers to get out and about.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete is very dedicate to Detroit and Compuware tries to do the right thing by its employees - which is saying a lot in this day and age. The engineers get a lot of opportunity to move around - between departments and even internationally. They have lots of perks and benefits for their employees.

That being said, with all companies, your experience at Compuware will depend on what kind of manager you have. Sucky boss = sucky experience.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please excuse my ignorance, but can someone explain how Compuwares (CW) future may not be so bright? Are the rumors of CWs death premature?

And are'nt CWs frame tools for DB2 and TSO (File-AID, Abend-AID etc...) still prevalent among large institutions using big iron?

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette248 - Do you work there or know someone that does?
It USED to be a company that did the right thing. The last couple of years have not been good.

Slowly but surely the perks and benefits are being whittled away, just like almost every other company.

Managers can only let you get away with so much before they get called out on it.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CW's business would be really strong if the Detroit Public Schools had not chosen another, lower-ranked company over them for their latest revamp.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are forgetting the IRS Computing Center at Michigan and the Lodge, right next to the MGM Grand (actually, the MGM Grand is IN their old building). 1100ish employees when I left there in '97, almost all IT in some form or another. Maybe less now, but still sizeable, I bet...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3887
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If CPWR is on its last legs, its stock price is certainly not indicating that. While not at its dot bust prices, it has climbed steady from a low of under 3 to an 11.85 close yesterday. I have a very tiny position with equal amounts bought near the top and near the bottom.

So what does anyone who follows this think? Buy, sell or hold?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell, and buy when it goes back down to $9 dollar range.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.