Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Guardian Angel Home Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone shed some light on a Detroit Catholic institution called Guardian Angel Home? The only information I have is the street address on the front of the building was 4232 but I don't know what street it was on. I think it might have been associated with the Felician Sisters but don't know that for sure. I would also like to see some photos of the structure if anyone has any. I know there some people on this site that are wizards when it comes to this old time Detroit history.

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

Guardian Angel Home was on St. Aubin in the same building as Felician Academy, an all girl Catholic high school. The girls who lived there were there because their families were unable to take care of them for one reason or another.

I believe that the living quarters were on the third floor of the building. The building also had a convent where the nuns who taught at the high school and St. Albertus grade school lived.

Margarite

Mortalman

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Margarite. I kind of had an idea that the Guardian Angel Home was in the vicinity of St. Albertus Parish. Did you happen to go to Felician Academy? Maybe someone will post a photo of the Guardian Angel Home/Felician Academy/Convent. Thanks, again.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a look in the Hall Of Fame section, under Old Polish Detroit. I think we covered it in there. The Felician Sisters' place was enclosed by a high wall, so not many pictures show anything, but there may be a couple in that thread, or some other thread in the past.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Academy and home were destroyed
in a spectacular 5 alarm fire on
11 / 03 / '69 .

Mortalman

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any pictures of the fire?

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Detroit used Seagrave Fire Apparatus
exclusively for decades.The walls around
the compound made access difficult. The
fire was fought from numerous Ladder Pipes
set up around the building.Seagrave used
photos of the fire to prove the reliability
of it's equpitment.Numerous newspaper photos
also exist

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.