Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Going to see Earth Wind and Fire tonight! WAA HOO!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are your favorite venues or concerts you have seen in the area? I'll never forget being at Pine Knob back in the early 80's when J Geils taped the footage for one of their videos while I was in the audience, sitting in a very close pavillion seat. That was a total blast!!

And who can forget sliding down the hill in the rain, or bringing coolers and being allowed to picnic before the show on the lawn. Ahhhh - summer concerts!!!

~Liza

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Springsteen- The River Tour, the year escapes me but just awesome. First of three of his concerts that I have seen over the years. Four net hours of pure rock. Exhausting!

Lizaanne

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! That is one long show!!

I think my favorite group to see live is Hall and Oates. They are amazing live performers, and very under rated for their ability to totally belt out soul music like crazy. Would love to see them again.

~Liza

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories of concerts at Pine Knob, including Earth, Wind and Fire, August 1975, just after a huge thunderstorm went through the area; Electric Light Orchestra, September 1976; several Chicago concerts; Huey Lewis & The News; Phil Collins; America; Hall & Oates; Pat Benatar; George Benson; Men at Work; Doobie Brothers; Steely Dan; J. Geils; Asia; Barry Manilow; The Beach Boys; Tony Bennett; etc. Pine Knob was a terrific place to enjoy good friends and great music.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to just park in the lot and listen to the music and drink beer. Sneak up the hill.

The Lochricchio's and the Mob owned it before Bill Davidson and the Palace did.

James

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first few Lollapaloozas were pretty amazing. I had gotten tickets from some friends in the music industry and they were amazing pavillion seats. It dawned on me that this would also be an ALL DAY concert event filled with a myriad of some of my favorite acts- it'd be best if I had gotten my own personal space as opposed to clawing for a spot on the Pine Knob lawn.

It was a long day of some great acts and it was also a social scene as well running into friends who had also gotten tickets as well. Great shows with great memories at Pine Knob.

Even when the lawn got torn up and tossed up on stage during the Ministry set. I can still feel that slab of turf that hit me in the back of my neck- to which I heaved forward towards the stage as well.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful evening for an outdoor concert at just about any of the local venues!! Wish I was there!!!

Lizaanne

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show was OUTSTANDING!!! There must have been over 100 people in the walk way below the hill all doing the Hustle at the same time - it was beyond cool! And such a gorgeous night - it couldn't have been more perfect for an outdoor show. And afterward we stayed in the parking lot till all the traffic cleared, tailgating with our left over picnic stuff from before the show, and dancing and singing to the 70's channel on Sirius Radio.

What a great evening it was!

Looking forward to Kenny Loggins in August now!

~Liza

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.