Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 460 Prentsi raided by DPD Narcotics at 4:30P (6-11-07) THANK YOU! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

460 Prentis was raided today Monday (6-11) by DPD Narcotics Unit at 4:30 PM. They had 3 vans and two of them were full of the shitheads at 460 Prentis. They left here and went to Tomboy's. Not sure what scum they picked up there. Hopefully all of them

THANK YOU DPD!

Signed,

"Sick of Detroit Crime!"

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's fast work, I have a LIST of places that need to get raided.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll probably throw them in jail for a night or two and they'll be back by the weekend....

Jhartmich

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, one night is better than seeing those useless scum bags day after day. I'm sick of it! Too much invested to have thugs like that around!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They'll probably throw them in jail for a night or two and they'll be back by the weekend....

It'll depend on if they found enough on these guys to develop a legitimate case against them. Otherwise, they'll continue to harass them, in hopes of discouraging them from doing their "business" there.

(Message edited by tetsua on June 11, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6033
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! VICTORY OVER THE DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS. This is not their area to deal drugs. So they better stay out. Keep fight folks for this is your community, we keep it clean now, here and forever

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as I heard about this growing problem they took action. That's good.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3639
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! Now somebody needs to report this to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Forfeiture Unit!

A few successful raids means the slumlord will lose their property and it will be sold at public auction.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 614
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man! Where I gonna score my shit now, bitch!

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the landlord? Now that it is known that drugs are being sold on the property, can't some action be taken against the landlord?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice!

sincerely,
former prentis st. resident

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Great! Now somebody needs to report this to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Forfeiture Unit!

A few successful raids means the slumlord will lose their property and it will be sold at public auction.

GREAT$$ does that mean they will start taking property from landlords that rent to those illegal alien criminals also?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"GREAT$$ does that mean they will start taking property from landlords that rent to those illegal alien criminals also?"

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. Hmm. Sorry, don't feel too much sympathy for Landlords who obviously don't do a damn thing with their property but let it decay and fill up with drug dealers and crime.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great news. When the DPD performs about 5000 more of these raids throughout the city and the Courts actually convict these hoodlums will I believe that the city is actually serious about crime.

Amen!

(Message edited by quozl on June 12, 2007)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have much sympathy for this particular landlord. She has properties all over the city ranging from luxury apartments to commercial office space to these fancy digs on Prentis St. Her business model relies on deferring any significant maintenance at all her properties. Problems are fixed slowly and in a half-assed manner.

That said, she is in a tough spot at 460 Prentis. Even though Michigan law allows for a fairly quick eviction of tenants who use or sell drugs on or in a leased premises (no conviction is necessary, landlord simply has to file a police report), many of this strata of tenant do not take kindly to getting booted into the street. They have anger management issues (sometimes stemming from childhood problems with their fathers, and sometimes caused by career stress) and they have a nasty habit of burning down buildings as they are leaving. Not an easy situation for the landlord.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They have anger management issues (sometimes stemming from childhood problems with their fathers

I doubt most of them even know who their fathers are.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When the DPD performs about 5000 more of these raids throughout the city and actually convict these hoodlums"

The problem here is that the DPD can't convict these hoodlums - judges and juries do that - and in Wayne County, neither judges nor juries have much desire to convict local residents.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6035
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who take pride of their community will stand up the fight against any criminal activity. It's more than law enforcement to stop crime. That's why most Detroit ghettohoods needs more block clubs and community policing so that our people would live a safe enviroment.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When the DPD performs about 5000 more of these raids throughout the city

Yeah, because that is a strategy that has a great history of effectiveness. Shutting down drug corners/houses with raids, buy busts and what not is akin to mowing over daisies. The people who control that corner of midtown aren't going to give up that valuable bit of real estate just because the cops said so. It will disappear as the neighborhood continues to gentrify. But those small fries arrested yesterday or others like them will be back there soon, if they aren't already, as long as they have a place to set up shop.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"GREAT$$ does that mean they will start taking property from landlords that rent to those illegal alien criminals also?"

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. Hmm. Sorry, don't feel too much sympathy for Landlords who obviously don't do a damn thing with their property but let it decay and fill up with drug dealers and crime.

NO: I was dead serious. I have no tolerance or sympathy for landlords that break the law. If I have to follow the law so should everyone else and that includes those that harbour criminals.

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "Small Fry" was already back doing his "business" this morning at about 10:30. Red Car stopped in middle of 2nd/Prentis. Unsavory sort on bicycle went up to car window. Transaction completed in about the 15 seconds it took for me to drive by "Fry" and his customer. Funny since I too saw the cuffed ones lined up against the blue van yesterday evening when I was bringing my kids back home from preschool. Good luck DPD... and all ye who live/work/walk in those parts.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, It's funny but when I was growing up, my parents rented a house and took care of it themselves. They painted it every few years, mowed their own grass, fixed minor things etc. When I grew up and rented, I did the same. I don't think anyone ever asked us to do this, we just took pride in what we did. It seems that today everyone feels like they are owed something and no one wants to work for it.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacaden wrote: A "Small Fry" was already back doing his "business" . That was not one of the guys from yesterday. My lieutenant friend involved in all this still has them in holding. The ones from yesterday were still in jail.

Even in error your point is well taken: There are plenty more!

(Which led to my other post about why should I continue living like this?)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 912
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as another former prentis resident its all nice to hear this but it never seems to stop or even slow it down. couple years or year ago the spot was bethoven on 3rd and prentis. Is this the second building on the north side of street?

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked into the raid and 3 people were arrested. Narcotics took a gun off of one the subjects. They also recovered ectasy, marijuana and crack cocaine.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dpd_blue. I appreciate your work and your contributions to the community! I for one am for a strong aggressive police presence. I hope it continues in Midtown.

Thanks.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker:

Three doors down from the church (big white pillars).

Also, the bethoven is being torn apart as we speak by Scott (Traffic Jam), so no one is living there. Even so, there is no shortage of thugs in the neighborhood.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done, DPD! This is nothing but good news! So close to WSU and the Medical Center, this could be a good area once it's cleaned up. Don't stop there...carry on!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9404
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see a sting go after the buyers as well. I fiure with the traffic volumes the amount of arrests/tickets of th buyers could easily subsidize the salaries of an additional officer or two.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention seizure of property!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would like to see a sting go after the buyers as well. I figure with the traffic volumes the amount of arrests/tickets of the buyers could easily subsidize the salaries of an additional officer or two.

Interesting idea. Raiding and clearing drug corners/houses like these doesn't work. New people jump into the place and start selling almost right away after an arrest. But I wonder could the corners be cleared if the police started going after the customers? A day spent watching these transactions go down and have a few officers arresting the customers after they make the buys could discourage them from going there again. They more than likely know other places to go to get drugs with less of a hassle. Chase away the customers and there is little reason for the dealers to stick around.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Raiding and clearing drug corners/houses like these doesn't work."

False.

No drug house can exist in a neighborhood/community that does not tolerate it.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: Chase away the customers and there is little reason for the dealers to stick around.

Maybe, but most junkies would probably return the next day. If they think there is still a chance to buy it there, I don't thing they'd be discouraged for long.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"When the DPD performs about 5000 more of these raids throughout the city"

Yeah, because that is a strategy that has a great history of effectiveness. Shutting down drug corners/houses with raids, buy busts and what not is akin to mowing over daisies. The people who control that corner of midtown aren't going to give up that valuable bit of real estate just because the cops said so. It will disappear as the neighborhood continues to gentrify. But those small fries arrested yesterday or others like them will be back there soon, if they aren't already, as long as they have a place to set up shop.

My guess is that the only way to put a permanent stop to this drug dealing in a particular neighborhood is to install a few high-quality PTZ security cameras in conjunction with a police crackdown. This has worked in neighborhoods in Baltimore and other cities. The camera footage can be used as evidence to arrest buyers as well as dealers.

You could also wait for gentrification, which may eventually take care of the problem too, but who knows how long that will take.

Actually, the security camera solution would probably only work in neighborhoods which have some stable residents as well as drug dealers, Prentis is a good example. There has to be at least some potential for people moving in. In a truly blown-out neighborhood (say, the State Fair area), it might not make much difference.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Security cameras have a way of driving crime away -- to another neighborhood. Also, security cameras lead to a lot of "quality-of-life" arrests, which tend to fall disproportionately on the black or latino communities. (And will continue to until there are security cameras aggressively monitored by police that are installed in places where young white people hang out.)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow while i lived there that building didnt seem to have much drug dealing. The only ones i noticed when i lived there was the bethoven and the second building(walkup dealing ground floor) from the bronx(behind it) that i saw drug dealing. I use to live in the build behind marcus market and also lived in ABC. I guess the dealers left bethoven and went to that one.

Dougw

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, those points are probably true, but neither is a compelling argument against security cameras IMO. You'd have the exact same effect if one neighborhood rose up and managed to stop crime on its own through some other method... that crime would probably end up in another neighborhood. But you'd have one more crime-free neighborhood in the city, which would be a good thing.

Quality-of-life arrests falling more on minority communities is a problem which should be addressed by other means. But if it mattered, I'd be in favor of installing a few security cameras in areas where white hooliganism is more of a problem, say, near the stadiums where drunken tailgaters may occasionally cause problems.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow while i lived there that building didnt seem to have much drug dealing

I don't think it had any. i dated a girl for a few months who lived on the first floor, it was quiet as could be, and this was only about 3 years ago. I wonder if the building changed ownership since then.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE:
Security cameras have a way of driving crime away -- to another neighborhood. Also, security cameras lead to a lot of "quality-of-life" arrests, which tend to fall disproportionately on the black or latino communities. (And will continue to until there are security cameras aggressively monitored by police that are installed in places where young white people hang out.)

HUH??? ------- ..... cameras should be installed first and foremost in areas where DRUGS ARE DEALT OPENLY IN THE STREETS!!! The reason it may fall disproportionately upon the black or latino communities is because the city of detroit is incredibly segregated, but the city is where thugs are currently DEALING DRUGS FREELY ON STREET CORNERS!!

Any areas where white people openly deal drugs on street corners should likewise be monitored.

Blame the DPD for not suppressing or aggressing the situation. Then, when that doesn't do anything, blame the citizens for not uniting against thugs and dealers. Then, when that doesn't happen, I guess you can blame the dealers, but they are last because.... hey...... that's business baby! It's hard enough a make a buck in this state and/or city as it is.

Dougw

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, the only legitimate concern with security cameras are privacy issues. You don't want moving cameras that can point up into people's 2nd floor windows or other private realms.

I suppose there are other potential abuses that could occur, for example, selling or distributing footage of someone doing something embarrassing in public, without permission. That would be legitimate grounds for a lawsuit. Still, I'd guess that type of problem is extremely rare, I can't say that I've ever heard of that happening. You obviously need someone responsible in charge of the cameras.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the "blue light" cameras in B-more. You can see the light from a distance and even I became cautious of what I was doing. No speeding and stopped at the yellow light. Even if the actual cameras aren't installed, just put up the light and say it's a camera and people will be less likely to commit crimes.

As I got passed the blue lights and got onto the freeway in B-more, the "corner boys" were posted on the entrance ramp, just chillin' at 3:30AM as cars went by at 50mph... Funny as hell!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Security cameras can be an effective tool, although they are anything but a silver bullet and defeatable. Not to harp too much on The Wire here but pay attention to what happens to the security camera at the 1:10 point of this clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wFt VZroxiyk

There was also a Carlos Mencia clip I couldn't find that illustrated another point. It was about how if you put security cameras up in the hood you'll end up with stolen security cameras.

I think Gannon posted about a system a while ago where neighbors could put Internet video cameras up overlooking the front of their homes and make it so anyone on a certain list serv or something like that could check on them whenever they wanted. That seemed like a interesting idea and I wonder if anyone has actually done that?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drug dealers and users are not "scum" they are brothers; sisters; fathers; husbands; sons; daughters; grandparents. They are human beings who made bad decisions in their respective lives. Many of them need treatment and opportunities to make right with themselves and the community.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drug dealers and users are not "scum" they are brothers; sisters; fathers; husbands; sons; daughters; grandparents. They are human beings who made bad decisions in their respective lives. Many of them need treatment and opportunities to make right with themselves and the community.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Terryh, they are SCUM.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.