Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Today's Wall street Journal Section on Re-Inventing Cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the title of this thread indicates, the fouth section of today's WSJ is devoted to some of the issues of city reinvigoration. One article is about the relationship of crime to redevelopment.

There is a good mention in that article about progress in Detroit's Springwells Village. The writer is notably less enthusiastic about the gentrification of that neighborhood than he/she is about another profiled neighborhood in Washington D. C., (no Whole Foods Planned for us!) and the Springwells neighborhood advance seems more tenuous than the other profiled neighborhoods. Still, it is overall positive.

Hey, where is "Springwells Village? I can guess, but I've never heard of such a neighborhood organization.

I can't post the link and I hope someone else reading here can. The whole section was worth springing for a copy.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? They didn't say that the way to revitalize cities is with superblocks, freeway expansions and walled-off "campuses" with "green space" in downtowns? Boy, are they behind the curve or what?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Ha ha!

Dammit, I might just have to buy a copy. I just wish the money wouldn't go toward paying their editorial board....

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apart from the editorial page, the WSJ was ranked more liberal than the NYT. Hard to understand but that's what I read.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.