Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Midtown Alliance meeting and increase of drug sales in neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am forwarding this message on to any of you who live in Midtown (Cass Corridor). Please join us at the Midtown Alliance Meeting this Wednesday.

Hello dear neighbors!

There have been a LOT of conversations this week amongst us about the surge in crime, especially drug sales. There is allegedly a new drug-infested building at 460 Prentis which is feeding this on top of the 3962 Second Ave situation.

All of us have noticed it. The increase in bicyclers and the general druggies hanging around. We ALL need to go to the Midtown meeting this week and let the police know that this is UNACCEPTABLE. As much support as we give them, they need to respond by being clean and cleaning house.

Is there anyway that we can get Narcotics there this week? If you have any MEDIA contacts, invite them as well. We need to see results NOW.

We have too much invested in this neighborhood to allow this to continue. Our homes are being invaded and this has to stop.

See you all at Mario's Wednesday night the 13th at 7pm for the Midtown Alliance meeting.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your not referring to those nice entreprenurial boys on the 2nd floor of 460 Prentis are you?

You may also want to address the heroin sales outside the Tomboy.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dpd_blue,

are you a DPD officer? If so, why don't you or some of your fellow officers "address the heroin sales outisde the Tomboy" if you already know about it?

I was trying to find a way to write that question that wouldn't come across as smartmouth when read, but my writing skills aren't good enough. Please no I wasn't trying to make a jackass remark, just an honest question.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 840
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from an article in yesterday's New York Times about cocaine:"Hidden in Plain Sight"

"The come-ons in the Casual Encounters section of Craigslist last week — or any week — are as plentiful as they are obvious (and cheesy). Using a variety of euphemisms that have been around since Jay McInerney wrote about Bolivian Marching Powder, posters invite others to join them for a line or a lost weekend fueled by cocaine.

The cheeky openness of these ads is hardly anomalous. While cocaine and drug abuse seem to have faded from the headlines, with coverage limited to the not-so-veiled references surrounding the exploits of waifish celebrities, it is still very much a part of the social scene, especially in New York.

Evidence of that is popping up in music, television and even theater. Indeed, for a generation that has not had its John Belushi to drive home the dangers of drug abuse, references and even use are open, casual, even blatant.

“You do see it,” said Noel Ashman, an owner of the Plumm, a hotspot near the meatpacking district. “We’re pretty tight at the club with drug use, whenever we see it we kick it right out. But it has popped up more than it did five years ago.”

And like the red flash of a Louboutin pump, it is easy to spot.

“It’s definitely prevalent in clubs, bars, parties — everywhere, basically,” said Cristiano Andrade, 26, a Brooklynite who manages a wine shop and goes out in the city once or twice a week.

Drug-abuse experts say the blasé attitude toward cocaine use is a result of “generational amnesia.”

“There seems to be less of a stigma about” cocaine, said Dr. Herbert Kleber, director of the division of substance abuse at the New York State Psychiatric Institute in Manhattan. "

Maybe cocaine sales are something we're going to have to put up with to be a cool, young D.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am under the impression that TomBoy's has been an issue in midtown for a long time. I am relatively new to the meetings. I moved to Cass Park from Capitol Park in October. Cass Park is a much better neighborhood.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

460 Prentis is owned by Cheryl Huff according to public records. She owns several other apartment buildings in the neighborhood. The tax bill lists 714 Parker as her address. Try a whitepages search and contact her to tell her you will be discussing the property at your meeting and see if she would like to attend. She also owns 468 Prentis.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park is a better neighborhood? that's surprising

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he was comparing it with Capitol Park, not exactly a crime-free area.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that...and while "safe" is a fairly relative word. Between the two I would have imagined Capitol Park safer simply because its proximity to the daily office/game/entertainment related activity w, however I imagine the bus station move will help that area immensely. Though admitidly I have little exposure to Cass Park. How safe of an area is that exactly? comparable to northern cass corridor, say around Cass/Willis? I had always thought it much less safe

Mbr

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Additionally, there is a blue Crown Victoria with four deflated tires near 460 Prentis that looked like it was going to get towed a few weeks back but never did. It has sat there for about 2 months. Might want to mention that at the meeting as well.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrol officers are discouraged from dealing with the dope trade. The hope is for the narcotics teams to do buy/bust with these folks in order to get longer convictions.

I recommend everyone stay on the Deputy Chief of the Central District, because pressure is the only way problems get taken care in DPD.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who's Detroit's Marlo Stanfield these days?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marlo:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vqU qkF2IDBI

I don't think these people are concerned so much about the Marlos of Detroit as they are with the Bodies.

Bodie:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b6K 5OuyFux0

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard the address on Prentis on my scanner several times. It was on the frequency used by WSU campus police.Apparently those are the guys you want to complain to. It may not be a DPD jurisdiction.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard on their frequency (WSU PD)that they are to do special attention drive-bys at that address, but DPD will handle the runs.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park, the crackheads leave me alone. II haven't had a problem since I moved here in November.

Capitol Park, being closer to the game, there are more people to rob, more people who have money to buy drugs, more cars to break into. I felt more like a target being a young female. I got in more fights down there.

Near campus, thieves know there are lots of stupid college kids to rob. My landlord is really cool, no nasty cockroaches, really clean and well maintained building, close to my job at WSU and downtown. My neighbors are nice.

Cops just raided the front of TomBoys. Wahooo!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9433
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the interactive dialogue.

As if they heard us...

Pics?!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why aren't the public allowed to take care of criminals themselves? They probably wouldn't hesitate to extend you the same courtesy. Tell them to get out, or go in guns blazin :-)

Actually I've heard that while most cities are getting safer, many suburban areas are seeing an increase in this type of activity. This is because city PD's have "figured out" how to take care of this stuff, sweat the guys, don't let up, etc. So rather than take the heat from city PD, a lot of them go to areas where the police are used to writing traffic citations and changing flat tires and aren't trained to handle gang and drug crime.

Maybe making their stay not quite so welcome in midtown would take care of the issues.

Either that or legalize the whole thing, regulate it, tax it, and all that good stuff. But that is a whole different discussion.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

460 Prentis was raided today Monday (6-11) by DPD Narcotics Unit at 4:30 PM. They had 3 vans and two of them were full of the shitheads at 460 Prentis. They left here and went to Tomboy's. Not sure what scum they picked up there. Hopefully all of them

THANK YOU DPD!

Signed,

"Sick of Detroit Crime!"

Mbr

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AND THE BLUE CAR IS GONE!

Jhartmich

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, I called on the blue car AGAIN yesterday to my cop friend who tagged it. He said it would be gone Monday or Tuesday. Glad to see it gone!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6030
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those DEAD (c)KRAK HEADS! are turning Midtown into their personal wonderland. You folks out there should start a neighborhood watch program and have community policing over there. If this drug sale persists it would be too late to Midtown around as it tries to go through gentrification. Stand up the fight for your communities even through you might have to risk your lives to do it. Me the Ghettoman and Street Prophets have risk their lives to protect and defend our communities from corruption and we will do it til the end.

Take back your communities from the perps.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6031
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhartmich,

A drug raid. that was surprizing. I say congraduations to the secret snitcher who snitch about those DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS. This is the first step of taking back our communities.

Building a better Detroit takes action NOT TALK!

Jhartmich

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: Can I move by you? lol I like your attitude. You seem like the ultimate neighbor! Where do you live?

Read my other post about convincing me why I should stay in this fu**ed up city. I am SICK of it! I want NORMAL people for neighbors!

Jhartmich

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. There was no snitching at 460 Prentis. The cops go there daily.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that Cheryl Huff is the building owner. She showed me a few apartments to rent several years back. I recall that her phone number was always listed in the Monitor in the "for rent" classified section. I remember it was 313-822-something, and she always had a bunch of apartments/flats available in West Village. Someone should give her a call and tell her that she needs to evict the dope pushers.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stringer Bell's are the real issue...not the Marlo Stanfield's

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Clay Davis'(corrupt politicians) are an even bigger issue than the Stringer Bell's.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I could not attend due to an out of town meeting. I heard the 13th precinct commander took alot of heat? True? Can anyone give an details about what was discussed? Thanks.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle (and everyone else in Midtown):

First and foremost, congrats on motivating DPD to deal with the drug trafficking in your neighborhood. I know first hand that this isn't the easiest thing in the world to accomplish and you should be proud of what you did.

As someone active in one of the other neighborhoods in Detroit, however, I can tell you that you will need to maintain a consistent level of pressure on DPD and the Mayor's office. If you don't then in a matter of weeks, everything you accomplished will be undone.

The folks in the Warrendale neighborhood on the far west side have been doing everything in our power for years to get DPD to take drugs and prostitution more seriously.

We do get sporadic interest out of them. For example, after two children were shot in their homes by members of a drug gang, there was a tremendous surge in DPD activity. They were everywhere - for about a week.

Once they went away, the drug dealers started creeping out of hiding. Within a week or so, it was as if nothing ever happened. We were still seeing scores of drug deals happen in broad daylight.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown Alliance (former Second Ave. Business and Merchants Association, if memory serves) has been pressuring the police for at least fifteen years.

Some years there are successes, many of them coincidence rather than cause and effect, but often that's not the case. It's not that it isn't an active association or that its members don't pressure the mayor or police, it's that the MA is operating in an almost completely dysfunctional city.

And until the city overhauls its police dept., most complaining is pissing in the wind. The same can be said of the mayor's office, city council, etc.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also was unable to make it, can anyone give us a breakdown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.