Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Researching old houses in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought an old house in Detroit (pre-1900). What are the best resources to find historic information/pictures/records on the house?

It's had a couple face-lifts and I'd like to restore it to more of it's original look and pictures are probably my highest priority.

Any help is appreciated!

-DH

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what area? I am thinking within the blvd inner ring? Corktown or woodbridge? Best bet would most likely be the burton or local cdc. My dads house was 1929 so I am not sure about pre century. But I bet the burton would be your best bet.

Detroithabitater

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an 1895 Corktown house. I heard there are photo archives in Lansing for all houses in Michigan during the depression EXCLUDING Wayne county. So sad. I'll check those libraries. Thanks.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I heard there are photo archives in Lansing for all houses in Michigan during the depression EXCLUDING Wayne county.

Is this true? Would they be at the Library of Michigan in Lansing?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 520
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroithabitater, check with your Corktown neighbors. Most likely, whatever research tools and sites they used would also work for you. Welcome to Detroit.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of people I know in corktown. You renovating the one on bagley? I commend you I took a look at it, but realized it was too much for me to take on. I will try to stop by and chat with you after work one day, I am over on leverette. Neighbors are definitely the best resource. I know it would be a stretch but check with Francis Grunow at preservation wayne.

Love how you cleaned up the yard. Also check with the local architects in the area who know the area, over on bagley and labrosse towards downtown. Just walk the neighborhood you will find somebody who has been here for quite some time.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre-19000 homes may be more difficult to research than those built thereafter.

The City of Detroit Clerk has title abstract records, which probably will cover your home, although they charge to use them.

You can research previous owners using City Directories. These go back to the 1850's. A good repository for these is The Burton Historical Collection in the Main Branch of the Detroit Public Library.

In the latter half of the 20th Century City Directories were only issued every few years and ceased c.1973. In 1941 and prior they were every year with none during war or in the later 1940's.

Burton also has old telephone directories, but these won't be of much help since they're arrnaged by subscriber's last naem not addresses.

However, Bresser's Telephone Directories, which are arranged by house number and street came in in the late 1940;s and are published annually.

Bob Cosgrove

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the deal with the dog that is always in your backyard? is it yours?

Detroithabitater

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info guys.

The archive information for houses other then wayne in michigan during the 1930's i think can be found at http://www.michigan.gov/archiv esofmi
a friend picked up some info for me.

Urbanoutdoors, email me at scott.robichaud@gmail.com

-dh

Victorianrose
Username: Victorianrose

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also looking for information on my mother's 1929 7 mile/Gratiot home. I would like to find photos and any other info on the house. So, you think the Burton collection is the way to go?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still a fee for non residents to use the Burton Historical Collection? $100?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this same issue times 16 or 17. I'm doing my parents genealogy. A book and videos of their old 16 and 8mm movies. 1/2 the homes are in Detroit and 1/2 in the suburbs.

I'm going to go to the current owners of the homes and interview them on video. Ask to take a tour of their "lovely" homes. The worst they can say is "No".

The oldest rememberances will be from my 90+ cleaning woman when I was a child. Her grandparents were slaves and she picked cotton in the south as a child. Memories like that need to be preserved.

She used to push me around on the vacuum cleaner when I was 2 or 3. "C'mon Willie, get in the plane! We're going to get some ice cream!"

"OK. I'se getting in the plane!"

She still tells me this story, 42-43 years later!

James

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For one-time users of Burton: $10 daily fee for non-Detroit city residents if you need materials retrieved from the basement. For preliminary research, using only the card catalog and/or books on the shelves, it doesn't cost anything.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THe last I knew there was a reciprocal agreement with Birmingham and maybe a few other suburbs that let them use The Burton without charge.

Bob Cosgrove

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.