Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Frenchie is back! but disapointed about Detroit's leadership! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all!

Haven't been around for a while (I was back in France for a little).

Remember when I raised the question of having Detroit promote is gritty urban techno image that is increasingly popular in France and all of Europe in general.
When in Paris, I had talks with a lot of DJs, prominent techno producers, etc. and they all seriously considered visiting Detroit, not only for urban techno tourism, but also for meditation and 'trying to invent new techno beats and sounds through Detroit's perfect techno setting".

I wrote to the Mayor's office a few months ago already about Detroit promoting this image and maybe setting a cultural bridge between Detroit and France (to start with).

I never received jack from anyone. I then resorted to calling, emailing, and never, ever the slightest answer.

I finally decided to see some people in Detroit (Detroit municipality and people close to the mayor supposedly).

The answer I got from these idiots is "yea, it's a good idea. Work on it and tell us how it goes!". I seriously came up with a 10 page paper about this project with specifics.

This is when I realized how bad, careless the administration is in Detroit.

Anyone down to help?
I really believe we could start something. In my paper I already have more than 100 DJs and big european techno names lined up for visiting Detroit (all friends or friends of friends whom I all met and talked to).

Thoughts how the city could sponsor this and make some $$$, but also have a great image abroad?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchie, it seems that no one on DY has any idea on how to help you.

Seems like a stretch to me to think that hundreds/thousands of Europeans would converge on Detroit for Gritty Urban Techno music conference; i.e. South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas.

I think you would have to present the total package to the Detroit administration as they probably have too much on their plates already.

If you keep working on it, who knows, you might find someone who can and will get on board.

I just wanted to reply since no one else had and you deserve at least one person saying, "good luck to you! Keep trying".

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, I don't know to whom you directed it, but the route should seem to go through some arts organization. The problem is that the city is cash strapped and all the arts organizations are seeing their public funding dried up with the current state budget woes.

I suggest you try contacting ArtServe Michigan. They could possibly point you in the right directions. It is all about getting to the right people who listen and understand and then inspiring them.

There was a big techno nexus between Detroit and Berlin in the early 1990's but it just sort of happened, wasn't a planned or governmental thing. Most people didn't know about it then or now. Some things happen when the stars align.

Good for you for trying and good luck.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to visit www.visitdetroit.com

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seems like a stretch to me to think that hundreds/thousands of Europeans would converge on Detroit for Gritty Urban Techno music conference; i.e. South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas."

This used to happen with the DEMF. I did a few afterparties and most attendees were from out of the country. This has changed dramatically for the last 3-4 years, for a multitude of reasons.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA Detroit's leadership is bad because they are not interested in French techno? Well I hear they Mayor is doing a cultural bridge in conjunction with City Council A FIRST EVER - pair Latvian Folks Singers (actually from Latvia) with Members of the First Ebenezer Baptist Church for a Blues song-fest. Apparently Latvians and African Americans have a strong connection overcoming struggle.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9424
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back Frencie, I owe you a drink or two.

You've got something here, don't file it away just yet.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.