Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Downpour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a pretty quick and heavy downpour this afternoon, which caused some damage around Detroit. I was on I-94 when it hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5AHhw-_mS5A
The TV news stated many people lost power. Some may have to drink their beer warm this weekend. Mom nature can be a B.
(note: the vid may not be available right away, it needs to cook first)

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick and heavy downpour? Seems like a lot of homes in the Detroit area lose their power quite often. How often does this happen? Is the infrastructure that poor in the area?

I remember the blackout that affected much of the northeast about 4 years ago and last summer we lost power in northwestern Queens, which turned into a big deal. Residents here won't stand for this type of thing happening often though.

These are the only instances I know of in NYC in the last decade or so that I can think of. How often does this occur in Metro Detroit?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6273
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everytime it storms.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A quick and heavy downpour? Seems like a lot of homes in the Detroit area lose their power quite often. How often does this happen? Is the infrastructure that poor in the area?

High winds caused large trees to fall on power lines. (According to what I saw on the TV news.)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Aiw said.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6012
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what! Michigan get quick thunderstorms. In and out in a hour.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, from my experiences it is really hard to lose power in/near Detroit because of the weather. I can't remember losing power for more than a split-second since the blackout, and prior to that it was the tornado/straight-line wind/microburst in GP/East Detroit in 97 (or '98?).

If it's true that power is lost more often in Detroit than NYC, it's probably because we are closer to the midwest and receive severe thunderstorms more often, plus our landscape in the city is one of many backyards and trees along the power lines, leading to more potential for something landing on the power lines.

In Ann Arbor this afternoon all we got was a wind gust. Strange.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Queensfinest

Most of the power lines in Detroit are above ground whereas in NYC most are below ground. Being above ground makes the power lines a lot more susceptible to the elements but much easier to repair than lines below ground. Something like what happened in Queens last year is very unlikely to happen in Detroit...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B-Magnet...

Your wipers aren't even on fast. Detroit freeways and flooding, fine. Complain.

Start bitching when you can't see the road in the rain or past the the end of the hood of your car while driving 20mph in a blizzard in the UP with your hazard lights on. And your friend in the passenger seat is alerting you if he/she can see the snowbank or not on the right hand side.

I will give you an "Honorable Mention" for having to deal with the asshole Detroit drivers. I only deal with those from Pontiac to Lansing daily.

Cheers!

James

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asshole drivers are everywhere. Generally I get pissed off more often driving in rural Michigan.

I know that feeling about driving in *really* bad weather such as what is common up north in the winter.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love downpours like that because they erode all of my landscaping by overflowing my gutters.
Sorry, Southwest Detroit, that's dirt from my yard all in the street.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Asshole drivers are everywhere. Generally I get pissed off more often driving in rural Michigan.

Thank you Mackinaw, I'm glad someone said it. In Detroit people drive EFFICIENTLY and FAST. I'm fine with that because that's how I drive. In the country, people drive F150's with confederate flags on the read windshield, and they drive FREAKING INSANELY, cutting people off, acting like a dick hotshot, etc. That's not always the case though, sometimes, people in the country drive TEN BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt that what living in the country is all about?
No rat race. I would rather have them out there than here

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Jrvass. The wipers really were on fast! Because of oscilloscope effect, they only LOOKED liked they were on low... :-)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 658
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lost my cable and internet for the day because of the storm. Stupid Comcast!

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 782
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me ask you, in this great state, what are the chances of you being in rain, wind, snow, and sleet?

(trying to quote the annoying comcast commercial.)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamjab19, or a wreck?:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/Friday June82007106.jpg?t=1181389364
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/Friday June82007107.jpg?t=1181389390
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/Friday June82007108.jpg?t=1181389414

Jrvass

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet:

I do appreciate your videography skills none the less. I have troubles lately just keeping either my car or truck on the road in the E. bound I-96 construction zone from Webberville to Howell. Wind gusts vs. 75-90mph causes "skippage", for lack of a better word.

Thursday and Friday, it seemed like 1/2 the semi's were fish-taling across their lanes and the cars were crossing the white stripes into the median at will.

Praise the Lord for the inventor of the "rumble strips" on the sides of the roads!

To Ed:

I lost power an hour ago, on a sunny day! Same effect as losing cable, but worse. I have to reset all the clocks on electronic things.

James

Ed_golick

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being without cable and internet on Friday was was horrible! I didn't know if Paris was in or out!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick, like you give one flying f about her highness, the baby. lol

Jrvass

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Ed wanted to be in and out of Paris!

:-)

James

Ed_golick

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rimshot!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get in line fellas...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.