Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » O/T let's hear a cheer for Ilitch and Dombrowski « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a non-sports site but sports has a lot to do with the vitality of an area, especially a downtown.

For all the criticism Ilitch takes for his development activities, he and his hire, David Dombrowski, have done one of the best job of rebuilding a franchise I've ever seen in pro sports.

No where is this more obvious then in the draft where the Tigers continue to pull rabbits out of the hat.

It used to be that DET drafted really high so they could get the best prospects. Last year they got Andrew Miller probably the best prospect in the draft at #7 'cause Ilitch was willing to spend the big bucks to sign him whereas other teams backed off - too expensive. Yesterday at #27 DET got a top 5 prospect again as the Tigs didn't back off as did 26 other teams fearing they'd have to pony up a 7M buck signing bonus. Cameron Maybin was a steal where the Tigs drafted him.

And, of course, Pudge, Maggs, Polanco, Guillen, Rogers, Granderson, Bonderman, Sheff, Zumaya, etc.

What we are seeing with the Tigs is no fluke.

Great jobs Ilitch and Dombrowski!!!

To my mind Dombrowski is the best president/GM in pro sports.

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 08, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might have to argue with you. Ken Holland might be the best.

Hahaha. Hard to choose the best, when both are in Detroit. We win no matter who is best!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially when the team loses in the playoffs repeatedly.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I'm in a sour mood.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5363
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know Hans... we can all understand the sour mood but give it up to them. At least the Red Wings have tasted FROM the Cup within the last decade and are in contention for it year after year. Care to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan or possibly a Chicago Black Hawks fan? When was the last time any of those teams were even close to being in the finals for the Cup?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Lions fan will be without a championship until the Ford's sell the team.

Like father, like son. {{{sigh}}}

At 45, I doubt the Lions will win the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

James

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate Ilitch.
If Bush owned a baseball team, would you love him, too? Oh, wait...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.