Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Where to move too? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, all.

I'm looking to get a few opinions from people out there. As many of you know (or perhaps not), I currently live in EEV. I am looking at moving in the near term and am torn in a few directions.

The first would be to move from EEV across Mack into GPP and save my income tax dollars (one possibility), however, my wife and I still like the city and its communities so we are also considering Indian Village, Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest.

Boston Edison and Arden Park are still in the running, but at a distance. I know many people live all over the place and so I'm hoping some of you will throw our your opinions of these areas, especially if you live in any of them. We like EEV well enough but are looking for a larger home, hopefully with a larger yard.

I've lived in Detroit for a while so I've "scouted around" in these areas many time, but other opinions would be a welcome read.

Cheers!!

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Copper Canyon area of the city: Borders are Joy Road, Warren Ave and Ann Arbor trail. Lots of city employees and retired cops are still there. Still nice stocks of home although not as huge as the area you listed above. Very active community association, www.farwestdetroit.org

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at Green Acres and Sherwood Forest. I've been in GA for 17 years without even a small problem - great neighbors. Also a short trip downtown and to all the freeways; Ferndale is a walkable distance.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also live in GA. You should take a look here. Great neighbors and houses and very active community assoc.

Austinb1212
Username: Austinb1212

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliver and Llyn,

Could you please e-mail: austin at esquirepropertiesdetroit.com

I have a house listed on Renfrew in Green Acres for $184,900.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Near Palmer Woods, you might want to also look at the neighborhoods north of the University of Detroit Mercy. Did you consider that area?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4529
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I thought Copper Canyon was right at Moross and Mack across from St. Johns?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9376
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherwood Forest and Green Acres area people that I know love their area.

University Disctrict may get you more home/yard for the dollar and I see potential there but my guess (with no facts) is that there may be more issues.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian Village has some very big backyards.

Some houses in the Joseph Berry Subdivision have some nice sized lots as well.

Virginia Park in the New Center has some BIG ole houses with nice sized backyards.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, since I live in Boston-Edison, I highly recommend it! If you want the combination of proximity to downtown and a large, gorgeous house, then you can't beat it here.

Actually, you're getting in at a good time (unless you're also trying to sell a house). On my block, a house just sold for $79,000, one is for sale for $39,000, and one is up for auction in a couple of weeks with the starting bid at $10,000. It's horrible for me, considering I paid close to $200,000, but for someone getting in now it's awesome.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in EEV, There are a few large homes for sale on Outer Dr. in EEV...I think on the corner of Waveny and Outer there is a larger house. Those houses in BE sound tempting, though.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherwood Forest gets my vote. Had high school friends that lived there. Always loved to visit!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look into Woodbridge too! It's close enough to walk to most things you need (restaurants, grocery store, post office,) and just a super, friendly neighborhood with beautiful, well-kept homes and the occasional fixer-upper still available.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be surprised if you could find a larger lot in Woodbridge than in East English Village. Nice neighborhood, but it doesn't sound like what Gildas is looking for.

(Message edited by BearInABox on June 09, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"University Disctrict may get you more home/yard for the dollar and I see potential there but my guess (with no facts) is that there may be more issues."

I grew up in this area and there weren't any issues to report, the housing stock is just as good and with so many foreclosures in the area now is a good time to buy.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Grandmont is nice...but the homes are smaller like EEV (my sister in law lives in EEV and loves it as well).

I would suggest Sherwood Forrest - it is really beautiful. Homes are larger - easy access to Oakland Co. and HWYS. Grosse Pointe is ok...but the taxes are high there and with your NEZ breaks you will do better in Detroit on a new purchase. Plus we know people who are losing their butts on homes they over paid for in the late 90s and early 2000s that are itching to get out of GP.

SO I recommend Sherwood Forrest. It also has near ZERO crime - the streets are so curvy no one can get or out! And he architecture is stunning. IF we moved that is where we have dreamed of moving.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 645
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be the specific zipcodes to hone in on for Sherwood Forest and Green Acres ?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas,

You haven't replied to any of these posts so I'm curious what you think. We lived for a while just north of U of D Mercy, in the "University District". Combination of (mostly) single family large homes, built in the 1920s for the most part, and a few duplexes and split-up houses. Very nice area, houses mostly have a detached garage and nice size yard. Take Seven Mile west from Woodward and turn left down, say, Birchcrest or Muirland or Oak Drive, to get a feel for the area. This is all east of Livernois.

Mostly owner-occupied, with the usual City problems (high taxes, some burglars active) but nice neighbors and a beautiful setting. The quality of these homes is unmatched by anything built today except in the wealthiest 'burbs, if they even come close.

Professor Scott

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in East English Village/Morningside for 25 years. Except back then, we just called it "Detroit."

Grosse Pointe is for white people with little to no soul. It's true. Green Acres and Sherwood Forest really seem like the place to be -- if you wanna stay in the city. Maybe Lafayette Park, too. University District seems too close to the hood. I live just a few houses north of 8 Mile & Livernois in Ferndale now. Not bad; not bad. But if I had money, I'd give Huntington Woods a try. I played softball there today, and it seems like one hell of a livable community. That is, if you like nice parks and safe streets and friendly neighbors and good public schools.

I guess Ferndale if you have no kids, and Berkley or Huntington Woods if you do have kids. I'm sure they'll be some folks here who'll urge you to stay in the city.

But not me. I was lucky to get out of there alive. There's simply no contest. If you want to live a decent life around these parts, the suburbs -- white and soulless as they usually are -- are the most sensible place to be.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess Ferndale if you have no kids, and Berkley or Huntington Woods if you do have kids. I'm sure they'll be some folks here who'll urge you to stay in the city.

And some folks will tell you that Huntington Woods is too close to, as you put it, the hood, and that Berkley is going downhill so get out while you can and Ferndale is full of gays.

quote:

There's simply no contest. If you want to live a decent life around these parts, the suburbs -- white and soulless as they usually are -- are the most sensible place to be.

It's no contest, everyone who lives in the city is not being sensible?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when some of my neighbors in Hubbard Farms started having kids, they moved to Greenacres/SF/University District...probably some good foreclosure properties available now...but plenty in the Pointes, too.

Personally, I think that if you are going to live in the city, the closer to downtown, the better.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd just had enough of the break-ins, drive-bys, car thefts, wild animals, shitty neighbors, unplowed streets, burned-out lights, shuttered storefronts, and on and on and on. So for me, it made sense to give the suburbs a try. So far, so good. Sure, I have some deserter's guilt, but it's dissipating steadily. Moving back to the city, to me, is simply asking for trouble. I was just "Ol' Man Trouble, leave me alone. Go find someone else to pick on."

Everybody's got a breaking point.
I'm not risking life and limb and sanity anymore just to say "I live in Detroit." It just ain't worth it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every day I work on my yard and look at the piles of crap in my neighbor's yard, come home to a busted in garage (so I have to replace a window, lawn mower etc), or get hassled by some crack head who is also a professional landscaper who wants $100 to pull weeds for 15 minutes, or look at the alleys filling up with shit I have to agree.

I am getting close to my breaking point too. I'd love to be able to stay in the City, but I can't afford to live in a $300 k neighborhood and also pay for my insurance; so I am stuck in a neighborhood watching it decline around me.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,
I grew up thinking the Mack/Moross area was "copper canyon".
But working on the west side for 17 years it sounds like that there were quite a few "copper canyons" in different sections of the city.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So for you bitchy a'holes. Just LEAVE. Get out! GO! Why do you stay, when you are in the 10% or less minority who complain. I was out with about 50 Detroiters last night on a boat cruise. ALL were so positive and happy in their city. It only takes a few to bring a lot down. SO GO!!! LEAVE! Detroitplnner...let it foreclose. IF Detroit is soooo bad you will never get your money back.... GO!

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So for you bitchy a'holes. Just LEAVE. Get out! GO! Why do you stay, when you are in the 10% or less minority who complain. I was out with about 50 Detroiters last night on a boat cruise. ALL were so positive and happy in their city. It only takes a few to bring a lot down. SO GO!!! LEAVE! Detroitplnner...let it foreclose. IF Detroit is soooo bad you will never get your money back.... GO!

Yeah, that'll show 'em, and it'll help Detroit, too. The 10% minority who complains causes all the problems around here.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Grosse Pointe is for white people with little to no soul." -Harpernottingham.

Yet you go and make a plug for another suburb which shares many of the same attributes (plus some gayness) of GP, which you are so apt to disparage. I can show you vast sections of GP (sometimes neighborhoods of 15 blocks or more) which are just like Ferndale, except for the homes are better taken care of (and you get access to better schools and parks and better access to Detroit). Okay, so there are large areas of Grosse Pointe with mansions and rich people. Does it make the rest of the cities soul-less and white? Think about the crap that your saying.

Gildas, I would recommend Indian Village, but I think my official recommendation will be Grosse Pointe Park, thanks to HN. Go get a nice house in a nice neighborhood with parks and good schools...just don't be surprised when you lose your soul and never see a non-white person ever again.

Both of those notions are fallacies.

Seriously, though, there is a buyers market out there, especially for big, old houses. Now's the time to buy in any of these areas.

Good luck, Gildas.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 10, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont, I've not left yet. I'ved lived in the City proper for 40 years and I've never seen the neighborhoods in such bad shape. I am frustrated because these days I can't even get the ear of anyone; including that of my elected officials or fellow public servants. Its almost as if no one gives a rats-ass.

To be fair, I would have no idea where I'd move to, nearly every suburb is showing the same problems that Detroit shows.

So why am I the bad guy? Is it because I expect the City to keep property owners in check, or is it because I have invested in the City and keep my property up?

Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen brother!!!!

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 433
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HN- You sound like a real ass.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "HN- You sound like a real ass."

You think I'm bad ... you shoulda seen my neighbors.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7932
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HN, you sound like a great neighbor. Glad you recognized what you could change and what you couldn't, and acted accordingly.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Gildas ... sorry for all the tangents, man.
Good luck, wherever you end up.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 978
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, I find myself wondering why we cannot, simultaneously, profess our affection for Detroit and admit-- in a pissed off, complaining fashion-- that it is still, in so many ways, badly, severely, depressingly f'ed up. This reminds me of the old "America: Love It Or Leave It" bumper sticker. The implication was that, if one had any complaints, one should get the hell out. Nonsense. Another frequently expressed opinion is that, if one is dissatisfied, yet is not spending all of one's free time in a tireless effort to improve the situation, one is a no-account loser who, again, should get the hell out. More nonsense. There are plenty of Detroiters who have their hands full, working full-time trying to make ends meet, as well as raising children, and they do not deserve to be regarded as lepers, pariahs, or whining malcontents just because they really don't have the time to attend to the work which they are paying the city good, hard-earned tax money to attend to. My neighbors should be able to come home to a dwelling, and a neighborhood, where they can feel reasonably comfortable, and at ease, without having to work another eight hours per day doing the kind of work that their tax dollars should be, in some measure, going a long way to pay for. If you want to applaud those who stay here and do what they can do to improve the situation, that's cool enough, but it isn't fair to hurl manure into the faces of the folks who became tired and discouraged, got fed up, and took themselves, their families, and their tax dollars to a place where they believed that all three would be better off.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I agree with your post - 95%.

HOWEVER: Whether in Detroit or elsewhere, it starts at home - and it starts with baby steps. Crap in the yard? Shut off TV and spend 15 minutes a day walking your property until it is GONE.

Mowing, trimming, sweeping up - it doesn't take long, do a little at a time - but folks, if you never go out there nothing gets done - and I'm hearing folks on these threads say they have neighbors who never appear to venture outside.

Can't care for a house? Don't buy one.

Sorry to say, but in "the old days" when all those Detroit lawns were manicured, they were done with hand mowers, hand clippers, and whoever did it went inside to NO air conditioning, NO microwave, and a black & white TV with 4 channels and a marginal picture.

Yet street after street was kept up. How'd that happen?

Don't know about your neighborhoods, but I don't see teenagers mowing lawns anymore - or dads, for that matter. More and more folks have lawn services - then complain they don't have enough time.

Back to the point: If your neighborhood starts to look like the majority don't care (or even more than 4-5) get out while you can.

Re the city issues, that's another story - but methinks that the streets that look like the residents care about their own homes probably get more attention than the streets that look like dumps. It's human nature - "if you don't care, why should I?"

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a BIG ole 19th century home in that absolutely gorgeous section of West Canfield street between 2nd and 3rd avenue that is for sale.

There is also a BIG ole 19th century home in the East Ferry District that is for sale. It has a large yard.

Look on one of the real estate websites (like www.realestateone.com) for information.

Gildas

Post Number: 974
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

Sorry about taking so long to weigh in on all the comments (very appreciated). Over the weekend I had some time to drive around a look at the neighborhoods in question.

Overall we liked all of them for various reasons. I think we would have to find just the right home in Sherwood Forest, many are for sale, some with the yard we are looking for, but with a house that lacks the character we are interested in.

Palmer Woods has great homes, but with extensive front yards and what seems to be small back yards, looked around a few properties there and I think I could get more house / yard in Indian Village for the money.

I have a few promising candidates in IV with double lots and one with a triple (but a poor location). Talked to some residents and they said the "under seige" aspects of the surrounding communities is half-true.

The residents said that things are great compared to the 70-80's and that crime has dropped drastically. I'm not sure how true that is, but this came from people NOT selling thier home, so I do put some stock into thier comments.

GPP is nice and in a area I'm familiar with, as for the "white and lacking soul comments" I'm fine with that as I am white and according to some on these threads likely lack soul.

I'll trade soul for education any day, nothing to "keep real" at this end.

For me, it seems that the time to buy is now and a year or two down the road, as our market continues to tank. Our thoughts are to get the house we want to be in for years / decades and IF Detroit comes back strong, we will be in a house we like and ride the appreciation wave forward.

I guess right now, I'd be leaning to IV. Boston Edison does not have the large lots, not that I've found anyway, unless I want to spend $900,000 on up for the 10,000-13,000 sq ft. monsters (which we did look at) but that is a lot of space to heat that I'll never use. It's just the two of us, so something under 5,000 sq ft is MORE THAN enough.

I would actually prefer 3,000-4,000 but that is hard in some of these areas. My chief concern is the taxes, not even insurance because my rates for homeowners / auto are pretty good. But that property and more so income tax. Writing a few thousand dollar check to the city is like writing a check to someone that just mugged me. Its just not right.

Our hope is that the city continues to drop the rates (which is the only real incentive they got to lure in new residents) You cannot place a greater tax burden on a dwindling population and expect them to stay put.

So it is a roll of the dice, we buy a larger, more expensive home then our EEV one and hope positive change happens, or we say the city is screwed and we should save our money and buy outside the city.

Right now, we are inclined to say in Detroit. We really do love the homes and the communities where we are have been great. No real crime to speak of, or in our case, no crime at all.

Master, I'll have to look into the Ferry District, I think I know the house your talking about, but I am unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks for all the info, and please feel free to throw out more comments.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas, have you considered a coop in Lafayette Park? There are a couple of one-story townhouses currently on the market. The one story units have a private, walled courtyard. They range from 2-4 bedrooms and all have full basements.

http://homes.realtor.com/prop/1082702961
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/1080677386

Townhouse

Residents of the neighborhood consider Lafayette Park itself to be their own backyard, the largest backyard in the city.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas (or anyone else),

My wife, children(school age) and I have lived in the University District for about 8 1/2 years (moved from Ferndale). We have been very active in the neighborhood association most of the time we have been here and like the neighborhood. In regards to taxes, we have the new NEZ. In regards to schools we have been using a diverse charter school in a nearby suburb (this school had the best MEAP scores of any Oakland county charter school).

I have intimate knowledge of two properties in our neighborhood. The first would be a for-sale-by-owner (a very good friend of mine) farmhouse style home (think Corktown style) which is about 1200 sq. feet and is fully renovated(top to bottom). One great thing about it is the 1/2 acre fenced lot that it occupies. He would be willing to sell FSB for under $100k. This is definitely the least expensive home in the neighborhood which is fully renovated! YOUR taxes on this will be under $1,250 a year (not even including the new NEZ)(currently $800-900). Energy-wise it is well insulated with new windows and a new 90+ furnace/ac plus all other updates(roof, bath, kitchen, siding, concrete, garage, paint, electric, plumbing, etc.
If one day, more space is needed this house may be rented to U of D students. It was rented(before the current renovations) at $925/month for 4 years without a single month's loss of rent.

The second house is a personal favorite of mine. It was on our neighborhood's first home tour in 2001. I would purchase it today if my house could be sold(we can talk about this also). The owners sold 3 years ago for $290k and the present owners lost it to foreclosure. The house is 3,700 square with all major updates (roof, boiler, electric, refinished hardwood floors, etc.) and has a ton of great architectural features which are untouched by less-caring hands. MIRACULOUSLY, the house only needs a good interior cleaning, a couple of granite countertops in the kitchen, some paint,etc. Under $4,000.) If I were buying it I would have new windows installed for energy efficiency(about$17,000 for high quality, architecturally correct and made-in-Detroit windows!) I have access to the house and can show it to you. I can also point you in the direction of the financial entity that it can be purchased from. It dropped in price from $169 to $159k and can probably be had for between $120 and $140k.
I have researched the tax scenario and it could be as high as $6,500 with the NEZ for a new owner, or as low as $3,500 if a new taxable value appeal is successful (due to a much smaller selling price than in the past).

Anyone interested in these or any other general neighborhood questions can call me (cell)248-514-9811.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE AS I AM NOT AN AGENT, ONLY SOMEONE THAT CARES ABOUT MY NEIGHBORHOOD AND POTENTIAL NEW RESIDENTS!

As you know, the UD has the NEZ tax cut this year.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HarperNottingham, if those were your cross-streets while living in tha D, I don't blame you for being a little bitter. I'm a few blocks down Harper (EEV) and know what you're talking about. It's not the hood, but the hood's not far away, and the hoodrats have cars and a lot of time on their hands. 'Nuff said.

Gildas

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an update, we will be looking at some homes in IV next week and we liked the walkable aspects of Ferndale, in many ways its how Detroit should (and could) be.

So based on input from this thread and other sources we are also looking into Ferndale, Birmingham, etc.

Walkability is a key thing for us, as is a desire to be away from the "hood"

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other walkable, character-laden communities include Plymouth, Northville, Wyandotte and Milford. And other long-established "centers" from horse and buggy days like Romeo and Holly though these are obviously farther out from the central city.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the communities/suburbs in the Woodward corridor are very walkable. Since moving to Berkley a few years ago, my family was able to become a one-car household (previously had two cars) because SO MUCH was in walking distance. Birmingham was a great, walkable community too. My favorite, though, are the homes in Pleasant Ridge (many of which have very large lots, so you may want to check there, too.)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas, what city do you work in? I'm wondering how short you'd like to keep your commute.

I wouldn't venture past Eight Mile.

Gildas

Post Number: 977
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

I work in Warren and live in EEV. I like driving against the flow of traffic and want a minimal commute.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HarperNottingham, can't agree with you totally by any means.. I lived in Huntington Woods for three years, it was a great place and a real nice group of citizens no doubt, but moved back downtown after three years about a year and a half ago. Both offer many conveniences the other has no conception of. Moving back to Lafayette Park was neither senseless nor asking for trouble. Infact, it was the best move I have made because I live with people who think the same of Detroit as I do, just a great bunch of people of all types and ages committed to the city in which they live. The housing stock is unique and reasonably priced, with parks and downtown conveniences at our finger tips. We do not live lives where we fear for our safety or are inconvenienced by any means,infact, the options available to me for entertainment, socializing, and education are abundant, most could live anywhere in this metro area if they so chose . I am happy your move gave you what you needed, your needs I am sure are not the same as mine, but please remember that to each their own.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you probably don't want to be west of Woodward, Gildas. Warren is obviously expansive but anywhere in Detroit's east side of GP your commute will be under a half hour. I'm guessing it's probably 20 minutes from your current place. You'll always have good surface street options like Van Dyke or Gratiot + Hoover if you lived in IV.

You don't have to answer, but I am wondering: are you moving from EEV because you are just looking to upgrade, or is something there pushing you out?

Gildas

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

You are correct in that my commute is about 18min, door-to-door, which I love.

Nothing is pushing me out of EEV, in fact I like the area a lot. I will probably be around a worse area in Indian Village then EEV. In both places the through traffic from the ghetto rats sharing their bad taste in musical attitude (I mean rap) will be equally annoying.

I am looking for a bigger house, but more so a larger yard for some of our outdoor activities.

Found a cool looking place in Ferndale today as well. Not sure exactly where we'll end up, but the key is looking around.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.