Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Summer Camp « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did any forumers attend summer camp in their youth? Where did you go and when, and was it a fun experience?
Me? Camp Sancta Maria (Gaylord)in the late '40s.. Good time(well,other than a few demerits for putting 50 salamanders in the counselor's bunk one night) and the camp is still going strong today.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure is, when I drive by there in the summer ,its full of kids. I never went to camp, we always had land Up North, that where I spent my summers, Mesick area

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Detroit Boat Club Camp in maybe 1980-1982? When I was 6-9 (I am 32 now).
I went to a camp called Willoway, I do not remember where it was, someplace in the OC, when I was around that age as well.
I went to Black River Horseback camp in 4th-8th grade (in Lexington).
My brothers went to Camp Tamackwa (sp?) and also, we went to Camp Michigania as a famliy for several years. Good times.

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Timbers in West Branch
And a few volunteer trips with Landmark Volunteers

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Tanuga in Kalkaska. Wanted to go to Interlochen, my mom said she wasn't paying for that. So I sent one of my kids instead, living vicariously!

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy,

I used to work at Willoway and now I'm headed to Tamakwa for a second summer.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to a 3 week program at camp crystalaire in frankfort mi for 5 summers. [rock might know frankfort as where the s.s. city of milwaukee was stored for a few decades.] it was a blast. i even went to the reunion a few years ago...

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp Ohiyesa near Holly, late 40's. Great time. Horseback riding, baseball, swimming.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to the CYO camp up by Port Sanalac back in the late 60's early 70's. The boys camp what just south of Port Sanalac and the girls camp just north.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the CYO girls camp up by Port Sanalac in 1970, 71, and 72. I was one of the older campers by the time I started there. Missed the juniors entirely.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 719
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CYO camp up by Port Sanalac and Divine Word Camp down in Perrysburg, OH in the 60's.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gordonwood Episcopal camp (formerly Camp Holiday), Ortonville, late '80s- early '90s. Lots of good memories.

Rsa-- I went on the tour of the City of Milwaukee after it was moved to Manistee. It was a Grand Trunk Western boat, then bought by the State of Michigan and moved to Frankfort in 1979, serving the Michigan Interstate ferries.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, many of those camps are where I have been spending my weekends with Indian Guides/ Indian Princesses in recent years.

Oldest daughter is off for a week at some camp up north this summer...can't remember the name. I do remember that its priced right and they haven't banned God from camp yet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.