Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Vintage instruments group "Steppin' In It" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard this Michigan band perform? I read a review about them while back in Detroit and they sound like a rather unique group.

Last summer they were at the Xhedos Cafe in Ferndale but forgot to catch them there. How is the music scene at the Xhedos Cafe?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to see them every monday night here at the Green Door Lounge in Lansing. I haven't been in a while, but they still are the monday night band. My buddy worked with the drummer while we were in college. Very good band. Cool vibe.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steppin' in it played the Ark in AA several times (and is coming up this weekend)--nice mix of American styles, now enlivened by the vocals of Rachael Davis adding a sort of 1920s jazz flavor. Lots of fun.

Xhedos has changed ownership and name--has the live music been continuing there? I haven't been in since the change.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were at Last Years Festival of the Art's I picked up the CD. There Great!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great musicians.
Here's their website.
http://www.steppininit.com/
dave

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 868
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xhedos expired several months ago.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jimg! Go to the Steppin' In It website, go to the bottom of the Gallery page, and check out their version of "A Night in Tunisia". Different from most you've heard I'm sure. I like Andy's harmonica in this.
dave

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds a bit precious for my tastes....despite their Lansing origins, they sound/look like they do well in AA.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew the bassist while at MSU and always thought he was a wonderful musician. He grew up in SW Detroit, and if you've read "Fell In Love With a Band", you'd know he was close to Jack White as a kid.

I was out of town when they played Ferndale last year, but am making it a point to see them one of these days...

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't get past their name, it reminds me of the dog doo land mines I try to dodge when I take my dog out for a late night dump.....I'm usually "steppin' in it."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.