Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Motor Lodges « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Henry Ford has a rebuilt old cabin from an old motor lodge- detached motel rooms, essentially. I was told one used to exist on 8 mile. I believe that is how the row of cabins at M-24 and Heights Rd. in Lake Orion may have started out.Does anyone know where in the area any of these places were and if there is any hint they were there, or any (beyond the one in LO I mentioned)still existing in some form?

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a plot of cabins just north of the corner of Opdyke and Walton in Auburn Hills. They were torn down some 8 years ago, still in use almost up to that point. Though they were REALLY not a place anyone would choose to be. Recently a medical bldg was built there. No trace of the cabins remains.

They show up in the DTE aerial photos from 1949. They are also in a photo in the Detroit News Photo archive at WSU. Linkies not handy right now. If I find them, I'll post...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6272
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one in Windsor

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=326

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Henry Ford's "cabin" (locate indoors among the museum's car collection) was not "rebuilt," but came from a motor court/tourist camp located in the Irish Hills near the Michigan International Speedway. It was donated to the museum by owner Bernie Reinink - a distant relative. If you look closely inside, you'll see that the museum restoration of this building includes ants crawling around the furniture. How's that for historical accuracy? :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.