Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lost neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found this site this morning and it's fascinating. I am particularly interested in the historical info-the "then and now" photos and whatnot. I was curious as to whether had any info or, better yet, photos, of neighborhoods that no longer exist in the Detroit region. Quite a few trailer parks have dissapeared. Owendale Rd. in Troy is all gone-just a shopping center now where homes on acre lots once stood. Ditto the old rustic neighborhood in Madison Heights that was linked with Frank Lloyd Wright. I would be very interested in any information people could offer on neighborhoods/subdivisions/com plexes that are gone.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Hpgrmln.
Tell me more about the Madison Hgts. neighborhood. Where was that located? I don't recall hearing about that one before.

There are of course several neighborhoods in Detroit proper that are gone, or nearly gone, but that is due more to disinvestment/poverty etc. I think you are looking more for areas where eminent domain might have been used to plow over viable property, yes?

I guess the most famous Detroit neighborhood to go under the bulldozer is Poletown. You can read an account of that process in "Poletown: Community Betrayed" by Jeanie Wylie published by University of Illinois Press in 1989 (probably not still in print).

(Message edited by waz on June 05, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In chesterfield the Sebille Manor neighborhood which is on about 120 acres is going to be given away to the township as it is almost vacated now because the military is closing the housing there. It is on Sugarbush Rd and is almost empty now I want to get some pix before it is gone. There are talks of using the land for a park, a new library and possibly homeless shelters.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Frank Lloyd Wright subdivision was on 13 Mile east of John R, where a Meijer and some condos are now. It was a coop homestead plan, but iirc, it was put on the sidelines due to WWII and FLW wasn't actually involved with much more than the initial planning.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emminent domain or redevelopment.
Another one I remember is up in Auburn hills, as a case in point.The new Forester Square condos sit on what was an older neighborhood of houses on large, wooded lots. The west side of Adams had several houses up until almost M59 and there was a small subdivision of similar housing. One night I was driving through and noticed the entire area plowed over.
Ive also read something about a so-called "urban-renewal" project decades ago in Hamtramck where they took out a bunch of houses. I think it may be where those new houses are going up along I-75

Is anyone able to pull up an aerial view on Sebille manor?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work in Madison Hts. The subdivision was made up of three streets, Frank, Lloyd, and Wright as I recall (I'm not kidding). The homes were from an experimental design Wright came up with using prefab modules. Small, inexpensive, quick to put up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.