Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Scrapper Story of the Day « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From WDIV (Clickondetroit)

A man was killed Monday morning on Detroit's west side while trying to steal copper wire, according to police.

The man tried to steal the copper from a live electrical transformer at Longfellow and Long streets.

Police said the man was climbing up a ladder against an abandoned apartment building to reach the utility pole when he was electrocuted.

Police said another man was injured just a few blocks away when he fell from a light pole while attempting to steal copper wire.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/103630.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall a law suit in which we got involved a few years ago regarding the old Clark Ave Cadillac plant and when it closed and was being torn down.
Even though a barbed wire fence had been placed around the plant and "security" was there, a local youth snuck into the plant at two in the morning, climbed up a couple of stories and then proceeded to fall through an open hole two floors and thus became a quad. He landed on some material that actually cushioned his fall or he would probably have died.
A nice young man, 18 years old and a wheel chair was his home for the rest of his natural life. All that to try to take a few pieces of copper tubing which he had heard through the local neighborhood grapevine was "there for the taking".
I will never forget that kid at his deposition. It made you cry, regardless of the fact what his intentions were and which defendant you represented. ( I, as usual, had one of the 5 defendants). His lawyers sued everyone, all to no avail. I doubt if the settlement covered his medical bills and/or the atty fees. The Blue Cross lien was huge. They probably took most of the settlement.
The poor kid? I assume he still lives in/with his wheelchair.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Kid? The little crook got what he deserved. I will never feel sorry for someone injured during a B&E.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.