Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wayne State University « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sbyman
Username: Sbyman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the relationship between WSU and Detroit?
In Baltimore John Hopkins has become this five-armed monster devouring real-estate constantly. And the students have no connection to the city.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 524
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exact opposite. MIdtown is WSU but without it the area wouldnt die, it would far less appealing.

Woodbridge, the corridor, and the new center all owe WSU a debt of gratitude.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the same time they are just starting to realize how important their intergration into the neighborhood is, and they're making significant strides in promoting a more urban mixed use neighborhood-oriented paradigm

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I agree. I forsee in the future WSU will be a top tier school because of its location in the city. First we must bury I-94 and re-connect the neighborhood. <313>

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a "top tier" university is a far stretch. Many of its graduate school are highly ranked and may continue to raise in prominence. However, I don't see its undergraduate reputation changing drastically...academically that is (though it's definitely improving). Rather, I see it reinventing itself from a commuter school into one better integrated into the city

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TechTown, Next Energy and the Medical School are pushing WSU into top-tier status. There are also lots of other programs that don't get as much publicity but are doing some very innovative things within their fields as well. It's not a far stretch at all.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. In the areas of research, WSU is definitely making strides to becoming a top tier university. Even in fields such as business and communication, they are focusing a lot of their recruitment on professors with a research background.

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the medical school is not even close to top tier status.. it needs to get in the top 50 rankings before we start talking top tier. I attend WSU-SOM and enjoy it, but let's be real here.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diggelicious, I am so sick of you whining about the medical school. Why don't you actually DO something to make things better instead of complaining!

Posted by Detroitnerd Oct. 12, 1999

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Wayne State (only then, it was Wayne University; the state hadn't yet taken over) in 1954-55. I really only have two memories of that period: (1) Old Main was an ugly building, and (2) parking was a nightmare.

Has anything changed?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936-

Only the drugs. They are deadlier.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ignorant

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Long regarded as a premier site for clinical training, the School has established itself in recent years as a major center for research, as well. Research initiatives by medical school faculty have risen to a base of over $175 million, elevating WSU to rank 25 th among U.S. medical schools, per the National Science Foundation rankings."

Detroitoriginal
Username: Detroitoriginal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU is doing a much better job at integrating to the neighborhoods, but that is a recent development. Historically, WSU tried to tear down many of these lovely neighborhoods including Woodbridge. The Football field was an extension of Woodbridge and they did tear all of that down.

Since they began working together and better valuing their plusses, things in Midtown have been hopping and it is a great place to be!

They have a shopping area going in on Third now. Has anyone been?

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to be a damper detroitnerd and downtown_remix, I was just expressing a well known fact for people who actually GO to the school. Yvette, that was a huge accomplishment(the increase in NIH funding), but in reality, that stat is skewed toward the Perinatology branch of the NIH at Hutzel.

Detroitnerd, how long were you waiting for me to post on that? Douchebag.

And yeah, downtown_remix, I comment on things that I know, not things that I speculate on. So unless you go to the school, work in adminstration, or have any substantial knowledge of medical schools in the United States, keep your mouth quiet child.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone heard of Stephen Ross and the Related Company of New York and Miami? Last year Mr. Ross gave $100,000,000 to UofM Business school.

He and all of his top staff are all graduates of WSU. He is a huge developer in New York City, Chicago, and Miami.

I had the chance to meet him at the Time Warner Center in New York, a Related Company Development.

I wish he would invest that type of time and effort in the city that got him where he is today.

His uncle, the late Max Fisher help put him through WSU and UofM. <313>

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Wayne as kind of two schools wrapped into one.

1). Graduate, professional, etc. are very competitive and hard to get into.

2). Undergrad - not as competitive and easier to get into.

At the undergrad level kids are probably more into what schools have the nicest campuses, best frat houses, best athletic programs, etc. etc. (thing which aren't really that important to grad students).

A 17 year old might pick a lesser school with a better campus, better athletics, etc. That isn't likely to happen in grad school.

Other schools, especially the research schools like UofM, and MSU (yes, I know WSU is in that research group) have very high standards for both the graduate (and professional) and undergrad. In addition to excellent academics UofM and MSU offer beautiful campuses, excellent athletics (not sure about MSU FB), etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

P.S. as an undergrad I almost transferred to a school (MSU) because it was a FB powerhouse at the time and that was important to me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.