Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 7 And Van Dyke [panoramic pics added] » 7 And Van Dyke [panoramic pics added] - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

99gprix
Username: 99gprix

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all! New to the forum, and I have a question. Are there any old photos of the 7 and van area out there? I looked at Virtual Motor City, and kinda came up empty. I see all of the Old Photo threads that are really cool, and wondered about my old neighborhood. I grew up on House St. one blk N. of 7 and East of Van Dyke. Thanks!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only photo I could find of the area. Looking west on Seven Mile.

7 & Van Dyke

wsu/vmc

Welcome to the forum. I used to live on Lantz & Terrel, right across from Queen of Heaven.

99gprix

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding? My dad was a football coach at QOH for a little bit. When did you live down there? I was there from 81-88. Had to go after a few bad things happened.

99gprix

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a nice place back in the day!

Here!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was nice back in the day.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the aerial of our old house (red dot, south side of Lantz), I lived there from around 1966 to 1978 when I joined the Navy, my parents sold it around 1990. I graduated QofH way back in 1972.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex lived in the old QOH rectory, until 85. Maybe somene knows her or her brothers, Margi Scally was her name. The house burned in around 87 or 88. It was on Rolyat.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't new home builders construct homes like the old ones? Small, brick homes with attic expansion capability? They are so pretty and last such a long time.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome 99gprix.You came to the right place to find photos, stories, and intimate history of Detroit. I have yet to see any one stumped. Some times the information goulash in just incredible. Re: Milk River query. So stick around, kick back and enjoy the time travel. Nice photo Hornwrecker.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 17, 2007)

99gprix

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! I really enjoy looking at all of the old photos, and it reminds me of some of the stories my grandfather used to tell us when we were little. He was a Detroit cop from 1945 till 1972. Most of the later years on the force, he had the gravy duty-Football, baseball, and hockey duty. That worked out for my dad and his brothers, as they got to be the ones who collected the footballs on the sidelines for the lions, and got to see almost every Wings game at Olympia.
And yes, some of the information here is incredible. Learn something new everyday!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

February 2007...
Look south down Van Dyke from the SE corner of Seven Mile VanDyke

Seven Mile and VanDyke Detroit

Drawback and turn slowly around to your right.

99gprix

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, sad to think that it looks that bad now. Or maybe it's because I haven't been down there in 5 or so years. Kinda bums me out a bit. :-( Wasn't there a McDonalds somewhere down there on 7? I swear it was east of Van on the S. side of 7. Am I right?

(Message edited by 99gprix on February 20, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could the look a like of the 7 Mile and Van Dyke Area.

THEN

NOW

All of Nortown district was once a mostly white filled with mostly Polish and Germans and Finnish folks. Now they are gone replaced by Black-folks and now a low-developed ghetto.

I wish that community is well kept up today with more mom and pop stores. But we folks in Detroit change and most of us move on and forget about the wonders of the city. We have left about our classic Detroit neighborhoods is our memories and photographs and 8mm film home movies.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SAD SAD SAD. From character to ugly signs and buildings.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bus transfer point for a northbound SMART bus can be quite a zoo at busy times of the day. Day-time shootings are not that rare at that corner.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 20, 2007)

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to the Nortown Bar on the east side of Van Dyke. Decent fish and chips and burgers.

Think it was south of 7 Mile?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, the Nortown Bar was North of 7 next to Lipke park. It had a maroon tile front, very deco.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we folks in Detroit change and most of us move on and forget about the wonders of the city. We have left about our classic Detroit neighborhoods is our memories and photographs and 8mm film home movies.

Danny, that is the most profound two sentences I have ever read on this forum. So true. It certainly applies to all of the old neighborhoods I knew as a child on the westside.

99gprix

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember everything about that area when I was little, but I do remember being outside, having a good time, and not worrying about anything. Now, you don't even see kids playing outside in my current area. (Shelby Twp) Let alone down in that old neighborhood.

I wish I had a scanner, I have some very old pics from that area up at my parents house, and those look completely different that those posted above.

Shame.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gang!
I had to join so I could tell my Nortown Bar story.

My dad, who was a regular there, because my grandmother lived on House street about half a block off Van Dyke, was at one of his Barstool Philosophy sessions there in the 50's.

Some guy comes in and says "They have this new camera that automatically develops the picture, You should buy some of this stock I just bought, Stan".

He didn't.

Of course we know how that went. Polaroid.

A year or 2 later the same guy says "Stan, they have this machine that makes copies of documents, automatically, I think you should get in on this"

Uh huh, Xerox. He passed.

He never stopped telling that story to me.
I think it bugged him a lot. I guess it's like having bought Google for 5 bucks, lol.

Anyway, I saw "Bullitt", "2001" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" all in their first run at the Nortown Theater.

Thanks for the pictures, all.
I'll start digging and scanning now.
Cheers!

99gprix

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was her address Larry? I was at 8072. See photo above with red circle. How long did your family reside in that house?

Larryinflorida

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I myself lived on Conley near Derby Hill and Farwell Field. But I don't have an address handy on House. I have a post-war pic of them all out front that must have the address if I zoom.
I'll try to get that posted.

It was about half a block east on House from Van Dyke. Januszczak was the name.

PS: Is it me or is "House Street" redundant?
Of course it has houses!

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an aerial from 1961 showing an overall view of the the Nortown area.

Van Dyke - 7 Mile aerial 1961

A closeup of the Van Dyke and 7 Mile intersection.

Van Dyke & 7 1961

C = Cunningham's
B = Nortown Lanes
N = Nortown Theatre

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today the biggest businesses in Nortown would be The Duchess, Secret City and Pretty Woman...that just sucks....I wonder what someone would think if you took them from 1961 and show them the corner today! but Detroit will rise AGAIN!!!

Larryinflorida

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swam in Lipke's pool a few times now that I remember.

I wish the DTE aerial photos didn't have that big slice missing in them in the 70's. Thats' my hood!

99Gprix, my grandma passed away in the late 80's and lived there on House since they were built.

I'm workin on that address, sounds close to yours.

(Message edited by LarryinFlorida on February 21, 2007)

(Message edited by LarryinFlorida on February 21, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mid 60s a rock band played at the Duchess, their name The Human Beinz.... "No Body But Me"
I lived at my grandmothers house on Spencer while attending Cass Tech. Took the Van Dyke-Lafayette/Grand River or Second Hamilton bus every morning.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the the industrial shop on 7 just west of the GTRR tracks? Logo on the front side:

D_ M_ C_ Co? One source I have says it was a branch of the American Can Corp (1967), but I have the feeling they were not the original tenants.

Psip

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeLorian Motor Car Co ? :-)

Psip

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was CanCo for years, or American Can. I think they made a lot of beer cans for Stohs. There was a military contractor in that area to.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably Detroit Metal Can Company, if I were to hazard a guess, but I won't.

Psip

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are right Hornwrecker, remember all the noise that came out of that place,, loud clanging all the time,, 24 hours a day.

Mike_from_gregory
Username: Mike_from_gregory

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such charm added over the years. (sarcasm).

Larryinflorida

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those in far-flung places, such as me are torn between "Remembering it as it was" and "Seeing it how it is". But I'm over all that. I am obsessed with photorecon of the wisps of old landmarks from above.

Tha's why it's a drag that this area has gaps in 2 years of the DTE aerial pix. I like to line those up in photoshop and size and register them, then do a slideshow with dissolves.

1981 is the peak of land usage, btw. after that, stuff really starts to go away!

99gprix

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida, If your grandmother lived there until the late 80's, my parents probably knew her. I seem to recall my parents knowing everyone on the street. I'll have to ask my dad if he remembers that name.

Gee, if you look at the 1961 photo, and the photos that are current, it looks like they de-forrested the whole street. The old pic looks like a street canopy of trees, while the newer ones look empty and give that "gray" dreary feeling.

Yes, I do agree that "House" st. sounds redundant. "I live in a house on house"

??? :-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that area is not nearly as bad as this thread is making is sound. the commercial strip is in rough shape, but take a drive down some side streets and you'll see several very well kept homes. it's one of the few areas in the city where you can see people walking the streets most hours. there are 2 grocery stores, a newer recreation center, several churches, a bakery, a fresh fruit market...etc. etc....within a 1/4 of that intersection. there is quite a bit of recent attention & money going into the area. check out the website and become involved http://www.v8gateway.com

Mikem

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes, I do agree that "House" st. sounds redundant.

At least you didn't live on Street Rd.

99gprix

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But thats Street Rd. Not Street St. :-)

Gtat44

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falcon Lanes?????

Psip

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falcon lanes was at Outer Drive and Van Dyke. On the North West corner.

Here is an interesting building next to the old Sinclair station at Van Dyke and E.Lantz. It was a doctors office.

Deco

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Todd's close? That used to be a cool bar nr 7/VD or was it 7/ Outer Drive. I used to go there for punk rock night.

Then it became almost exclusively gay and shut down shortly thereafter(late 80s, early 90s..)

A friend of mine got married at the Polish Century Club(now Serbian club) on Outer Drive in that area. I remember the composite photo of all the members(never seen so many plaid sportcoats). And I'm polish, so these were some loud fashions.

Gene

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip

Wasnt the Falcon Lanes a part of Ginos Falcon Show Bar located at Outer Drive and Mound? (Northwest corner)

What ever happened to Derby Hill?

Larryinflorida

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They bulldozed the track part that used to make my bike go 30 mph. All grown over.

Gene

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derby Hill what a place,

I remember the metal starting gate at the top. Still have scars on my knees from falling off my stingray at the hill. If your rims were out of wack it made for quite a ride. Good memories.

Larryinflorida

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep had a 5-speed Stingray too with a sissy bar.
Bought at Joe's Bike Shop.

I made a drag chute for slowing at the bottom of the hill out of a big plastic bag.=) I was nuts.

Larryinflorida

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

house st

99Gprix, I think grandma lived next door!

Small world.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd's was in the former Nortown bowling alley, east of Van Dyke on 7 Mile. The "B" on the lower aerial I posted.

Falcon Lanes was on the NW corner of Outer Dr & Van Dyke, now a Burger King (?). On the NE corner was an old super market, torn down around 1968 and replaced with a Standard gas station. The SW corner had a gas station, just south of that was Dee's Sporting Goods. On the SE corner was Crest Lincoln-Mercury, torn down around 1970 for a Shell station, I think.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember dee's sporting goods. My dad used to buy baseball equipment for are little league team there in the 80s. My grandparents live on grubner street at7 mile and van dyke east of the polish century club. They have lived in the area since the early 60's.

Larryinflorida

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A zoom in to the Dee's Sporting Goods bldg still shows "Evinrude Motors" on the side. My buddies worked there back then.

Larryinflorida

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dee

Also, there was a hobby shop to the left of it that I bought my model airplanes at.

(Message edited by LarryinFlorida on February 23, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker is correct, on the NE was the Gordon Food Store.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hobby shop was call Norm's.

I spent much of my grass cutting/snow shoveling money in that place. They also sold comic books, new and used, and penny candies; the only place in the area that sold Jolly Ranchers.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the first time I bought something there with an allowance instead of begging. Work=Stuff.

A Piper Cub kit with .049 engine.

My dad took me over to grandma's on house after Norm's to brag on me to her, and I started to assemble the plane there. Had it halfway built by the car ride home. hehe.

99gprix

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, Your grandmother would have lived across the street, evens on the south side, odds on the north. Did your grandmother have a little pomeranian dog by chance?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want Todd's back! What a huge fun dance bar!! and the owners were AWSOME to the gay community! God bless you both Bob and Dan!!!

Cliff19336
Username: Cliff19336

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, I'm a new member. Heard you reminiscing about the old neighborhood. I grew up on CLiff, five blocks from Van Dyke and about 1/4 mile north of 7 Mile. Van/7 used to be one of the greatest neighborhoods. Great ethnic deli's (Kowalski and Jaworski) sidewalk fruit and vegetable stands, the Nortown, the library, Nationals grocery, Norms where you used to pick up old issues of National Geographic and hard to find model planes and ships. Remember the old train shop that was housed on the second floor of a house just east of Van Dyke. I used to buy parts to my model railroad there all the time. Used to go to the Rumpus and the Duchess on Halloween when I was a kid. The drunks at the bar thought we were cute and emptied their change in our bags. You could see the girls dancing in the corner to. Quite a site for an 11 year old. Does anybody remember Tillies? It was a little hamburger stand on Van Dyke across from Lipke pool. Cops used to sit in the back room. Great burgers. Lipke pool was so crowded and loud in the summer that even more than six blocks away I could hear the kids screaming from my front porch. Great memories. Its all very sad now.

Psip

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum Cliff19336!
I had totally forgotten about that old guy who sold Lionel. I think he had the layout upstairs, right?

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, 99Gprix, I guess I got that address wrong. I did a visual ID on the house. It's that one.
Looking for dad's discharge papers. They will have that addy.

It would be an even number, yes.

99gprix

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, if you don't mind me asking, what was your fathers name? I do remember a bit about the neighbors, not a whole lot though.

If your grandmother did in fact live next door to my house, I know exactly who she is :-) Small world huh?

Username: 7051

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived on Bliss just east of Van Dyke (not sure of the address). They were the Stema's and lived there from the early seventies until about 1985.
My grandfather married Jane Nowak; she and her husband owned the house on Bliss and then her first husband passed away and she remarried my grandfather-John Stema. John then sold his first house on Yolanda to his son John Stema Jr. who lived there until the mid eighties.

My wife's grandmother (last name Heika) lived on Stotter in the same general (Outer drive and 7 Mile) area during the 70's and 80's.

My grandfather and wife's grandmother are still both living.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'99, my dad's name was Stan. Her name was Josephene.
My uncle, Dan took care of her a lot there also til she passed in 85'.

I remember that small garage in the photo. It was sub-car sized and the only one like that.

Gotta love the internet. The mathematical odds of me typing into this box and meeting someone who 1300 miles and 30 years ago I may have actually seen in person freaks me out at times!
Bravo!

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name of the old guy who sold Lionel trains out of his attic was Walter. His house was on Bliss, second house from Kempa (?) and backing onto Lipke.

I got my first Lionels as a Christmas present from his place, and bought many other cars there on my own. He also was an authorized Lionel Repair Station. I still have all of my Lionels.

There was also a hardware store farther west on 7 Mile, near Mt Elliott (?) that was also a Lionel dealer.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah but do you have the "smoke pills" for the locomotive?

Psip

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,, I have 1 bottle of the original smoke pills.
They still smell like Lionel smoke, I only put 1/2 pill in for very special occasions.
Smoke pills

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call your doctor immediately if your smoke trail lasts longer than 4 hours. Smoke trails lasting more than 6 hours may result in permanent damage. ...

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Larry and Cliff. Keep those memories coming ...

Mikem

Post Number: 3088
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walter Cerankowski? 8222 Bliss?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like the last name, Mike. I knew it began with a C.

Eastsidelady
Username: Eastsidelady

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. This thread brings back memories. I know that intersection well.

I grew up on Lantz between Van Dyke and Terell. My parents still live on the same block, Hornwrecker. I see the house on the aerial photo. Haha. The block is still in good shape from what I remember as a child (I'm 25). Everyone is keeping their houses up.

Anyways I went to Our Lady Queen of Heaven school from 86-90 when it closed. I remember that fire on Rolyat in 87,88. I remember looking at the burned up house during recess. I was 6 or 7 at the time. Scary stuff.

I never went to the Lipke pool, but I remember hearing a story about some boy drowning there in the 80s. I didn't know how to swim and wasn't really interested after hearing that.

And that old medical building. I made out with my then boyfriend (now husband) in the parking lot. :-)

Psip

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Eastsidelady. Nice to meet someone else from the ol' hood. I spent my teen years on E.Lantz in the 60s.

Eastsidelady
Username: Eastsidelady

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Psip. I'm happy to be here.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Eastsidelady, and thanks for the welcome Missnmich!

Fun thread. I see how this goes. One thought triggers another.

Glad I upgraded from mere reader.

Gtat44

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East side lady I lived in that house that burned, came home one night from a softball game and the firemen were just finishing up, very tragic for my ex-in-laws. They lost the house they had grown up in. My ex wife and I had been in the process of buying it from her father, we lost everything. He had not updated his homeowners since 1964, so we couldn't rebuild. The neighbor next door bought the property for $500 after it was razed. It was the original Rectory for QOH leaded glass windows throughout. I still remember the nuns next door to us towards Van Dyke.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44, I know that house. I used to hang around with Pat when I was in grade school with him, often playing baseball or football in the street there. I think I subbed on his DetNews paper route a few times, too. Street hockey was played in front of my garage, where we dented up the door completely and broke the windows.

Shyster
Username: Shyster

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi old neighborhooders yes the old area is not the same I remember walking those streets, me and my brother grew up on stotter behind the model bakery. Do you all remember the day that the House of Woods burner down? I am in the drive thru business and service many of the sites you see in the current pictures.

Gtat44

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker,
Pat Scally and his brother Mike was probably the best part of that family, I suppose I am a little bias seeing that the youngest (Margi) was my ex-wife. They never treated me like I was an in-law, just one of their good friends. You know the fire dept. blamed me for the fire, because I was the only one that smoked. But, Pat stuck up for me and told me that is was bad electrical fixtures in the basement. He still works for Edison and last I knew he lived in Northville.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I raced down Derby Hill in home-built car in about 1971 and then again in the mid/later 70's. The last time I was there, in about 1990, the track had been removed but everything else was still there. The flag pole along with the plaque that said something like: "Derby Hill - A gift from the Detroit News to the boys of Detroit - 1956. was still there. I'd be kinda pissed if the plaque was taken by scrappers. Going down Derby Hill in car that was built your father and grandfather is a favorite memory.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Derby Hill was built from excavated dirt from some expressway construction.

I always chuckled at the rule that the kid had to build the car themselves. In Detroit, it was not uncommon for the kid's dad to be a design engineer for the Big 3 and have the car at the GM wind tunnel, tuning the aerodynamics! lol.

Gman29
Username: Gman29

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Cunningham Drugs on 7 & Van Dyke. On Saturday evenings we would go to 7 & Van Dyke to buy a newspaper form the paperman standing on the corner selling The Detroit News. At that time it was only 50 cents for the weekend edition with comics and all.
There was a bakery across from Nortown Theatre that we used to frequent along with a deli. Oh what good pastries!! It was always packed on a Saturday morning.......sometimes a 1/2 hr wait.
The Nortown in the late 70's then changed to XXX and I remember the protests over that conversion from regular family movies to adult.

19134_stotter
Username: 19134_stotter

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 7 & Vandyke group
Grew up on Stotter with Brother Shyster
I'd love to go through the old house again
How bout the horror film shows on Sat. Matinee's at Nortown.Or the periodic live Magic/ horror show???
Spent most of the summers in Lipke pool. Always checked out the gruesome newspaper pictures/ articles posted on the windows at Pry Drugs on the way to the pool.
I remember Tillies (for burgers and the take out fish dinner in the cardboard plates), Van7's,and the soda fountain at Cunningham's drug store.
I remember taking television tubes to Cunningham's for my dad and testing them on the "tube machine."
All but forgot about Walt's on Bliss for train stuff.
the good old days

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's the Nortown where I used to go as a kid!!! I totally missed this at the bottom of the page. I lived at 18872 Buffalo & 7 Mile and went to St. Louis The King....with Geraldine Banka (Banka Collision). Dominic Sevrini and his brother owned Gino's Falcon. I knew Dominic very well. Dominic died about ten years ago. They own that country club across from Resurection Cemetary on Clinton River Rd. now. I saw John Brooks there a while back. Remember John Brooks? He was Mickey Dentons' manager. How could you forget. You brought up the Duchess. Remember Tommy Goode?

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 07, 2007)

Ccheski
Username: Ccheski

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag --

What years did you go to St. Louis the King? I asked a couple of questions about the school on the "East Side Catholic Schools" thread. I was there from 1961-69. Our house was at the corner of Dwyer and Lantz.

On another topic, did anyone from the 7 Mile and Van Dyke area go to the doctor's office of Francis Kucmierz (sp?). The office was on Van Dyke south of 7 Mile in a little freestanding building. What amazes me when I think back on it is that the doctor lived around the corner from us on Gable in our little working-class neighborhood. I don't think that happens much anymore.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ccheski-

I went to St. Louis The King from 1950-1955. From there I transferred to Pierce Elementary on St. Louis and Nevada. I went there from 1956-1958. (I usually say that I went to St. Louis from 1-8 just to save space actually). Then my parents moved out to Madison Heights and I went to Lamphere from 1959-1962. Pierce is no longer there. It stood empty for some time and then it was torn down. What surprises me is that Atkinson Elementary School is still standing and still open. I think Atkinson is at Hilldale and Fenlon (?). But, the projects on Nevada, between Ryan and Fenlon (?) have been torn down and re-built. Those projects were built for black veterans of World War II, and Atkinson was the elementary school where their children went. Black people ONLY lived in those projects for a number of years until around 1956 when they started moving out into the neighborhood. Don't ask. I was just a child and this was what I heard. If anybody else knows more, please let us know.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 08, 2007)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=185&categ ory=events
Those are the Sojourner Truth Homes (Projects).
Completed in 1941.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late '70's to present predominately black. Grandfather and uncle lived there.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents moved into 18872 Buffalo in 1949. It was time for me to start school. It was a new house 3 doors south of 7 Mile. My father was a musician....a trumpet player....and had played with Artie Shaw's band with Billy Holiday. He is mentioned in her book, "Lady Sings The Blues". He was in the band at The Shubert Theater when she came through town. He took her and her mother out for a drink. Some drunk, white guy, beat him up for being with two black women. He had scars on his face for the rest of his life. So, it wasn't us....glad to say. I deliver The Metro Times and subbed my old neighborhood before getting a permanent route. I get a warm feeling when I go down there. Atkinson school is still there when all the others have been torn down....except Van Zile (?). I do-wopped on the corner with the best of them.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 09, 2007)

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New member here. I remember as a child going to Jaworski' Meat Market at 7 and VD and a CF. Smith store there too. It had sawdust on the floor. Old Nick, the local ice cream man. Been to the Nortown theater so many times. They would show 3 movies sometimes at 15 to 25 cents. Playing baseball and basketball at Lipke park. The beautiful elm trees that lined both sides of the streets, making cool tunnels on hot summer days. Richards Drive In, I could go on and on. Do any of you remember some of these things?

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evening...
I grew up around 7mile/Van Dyke area as well from 70-82.

Psip

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome new members. Looks like we have quite a contingent from the Van-7 area. Sweet.

Elviswithteeth

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry..hit the send button to quick! Grew up on Robinwood and went to St Louis the King and graduated in 79. I haven't been through the neighborhood in quite sometime. Worked @ McDonalds on 7/Van in the early 80s. Folks moved out in 84. Great thread going on here. And what was that outside skating rink area called.. Didn't they have a large oval speed skating rink as well.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elviswithteeth-

I love your handle !!! Robinwood and what? I went to St. Louis The King, 1950-55. Remember the May processions? We used to go to Edgewater Park once a year on the bus. I could never sleep the night before. My ride tickets were always gone within the first hour and I would have to spend the other five hours walking in circles. I was down in the old neighborhood not more than a month ago. Stopped at Banka's Collision to see Geraldine. I met her husband and son, but she wasn't there. She went to St Louis when I did.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 12, 2007)

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ccheski

I went to St. Louis in 69-70, but I was only 7.
Remember the famous Zdybel twins?

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at Nortown in '70 or 71. Soon after, it went Porno, and they painted the side black, and had a purple line drawing of a ladys midriff or something, and a guys face over it, kind of with him sniffing it. Dignified.
Is Wilder Branch Library still open?
Anyone remember Sobo cleaners or Brickleys?

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilder Branch has a new (?) bldg on the south side of 7 Mi. The one that I frequented was on the north side. I am not sure when the "new" one was built. The question mark and the quote means that the new building is probably not new anymore. But, the "new" one is still functioning.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farwell Field on Outer Drive just west of Ryan had the Ice Rinks they had a Large oval Seed skating rink and a Hockey Rink with boards and nets. I spent many evenings there in the 70's.
About six years ago I heard about a sale that was going on up above the old Dee's sport shop. It was amazing! Piles and piles of old Flannel baseball uniforms and boxes of Real Hockey sweaters and boxes of Bowling shoes all made in the USA! I wanted one of the old Flannel Baseball jersey and I was told someone from St.Louis bought the whole lot of them. They finally caved in and sold me one. I never saw so many MADE IN THE USA labels in my life. If you drive by and look up you can still see the boxes of bowling shoes!

20043_stotter

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm one of the older posters, I'm sure, because as a young boy, I remember streetcars on Van Dyke. The turnaround was at 8 mile rd. I also remember Fox creek running NW from where Holy Cross Hosp. now stands.
The creek actually ran under Van Dyke about 30 feet north of Milbank and Van Dyke. You could actually cross VD by going under a bridge. It's long been filled up. I also remember a cargo plane crashed where Holy Cross Hosp. stands now. Does anyone remember Sherwood Forest? A big forest near 7 mile and Sherwood. How about Silversteins Army Surplus Store on 6 MIle, AKA McNichols. More later. I'm gonna name drop one of my posts to see if anyone of you might know anyone that I hung around with. Regards

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043 Stotter, did you know the Blairs?
Helen and Leonard. Their son ended up working for Pope John Paul II in the Vatican.

Elviswithteeth

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdee LadyinaBag...
I grew up on Robinwood about 1 block west of VD. Also went to St. Louis from 73-78. So you were there WAY before me. My father grew up on Bloom St and spent alot of time racing up and down Mound in the 50s-early 60s. So I'm pretty sure he has been in Bankas a few times since he was a GearHead!

Ccheski
Username: Ccheski

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Middleageguy --

I'm more middle aged than you, it seems!

I don't remember any twins except the Leja twins (Wade and Wayne) who lived across Dwyer from me. They graduated from St. Louis about 1966, maybe 1965. Tell me about the famous Zdybel twins. Maybe I'll remember something.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elviswithteeth-

Buffalo is 1 block east of Bloom. I probably knew your father. We lived 3 houses south of 7 Mile. Ask your dad if he remembers Sonny Marcinkowski. Sonny had a big "car" hang-out in front of his house with guys hanging around with loud mufflers and such. The Marcinkowski's moved to Madison Heights the same time that we did....in 1958-9.

Elviswithteeth

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LadyinaBag...
My father Ron Romanowski, passed away in 91. I know he lived south of 7 mile on Bloom (east side of street) He was a Hot Rodder in the Heyday. So it is possible you knew him. Short, heavy set build and dark hair. You might know the face if I posted a pic.

20043_stotter

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida. No I didn't know the Blairs.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elviswithteeth-

I was a little younger than that set. I didn't know your dad. We moved when I was 13. He would have known Sonny Marcinkowski. I remember all of the hot-rodders in front of Sonny's house. Your dad was probably one of them. Sonny was probably 5-6 years older than me. He would baby-sit for my sister and I occasionally. Sorry to hear about your dad. Every time I hear "I Want You To Be My Girl", by Frankie Lymon & The Teen-Agers, I think of that time. Cigarettes were .20 cents a pack. I used to run across 7 mile to the store on the corner of Caldwell and 7 Mi to buy my parents Pall Malls....five packs for a dollar. There was a bar on the corner of Moenart & 7 Mi. The building is still there but it has long since been closed. Do you remember Dennis Dutko, the Congressman from Warren? He got in quite a bit of trouble with alcohol and wound up going to jail and losing his seat. He later committed suicide. Very sad case. He lived directly behind me on Caldwell. He was a year older than me but we shared the same birthday. We both went to St. Louis. He wanted to be the first Polish Pope. I can remember on different holy days, before there were buildings on both corners of 7 Mi and Buffalo, we would go to the field on the corner and kneel in the thorns and say the rosary. We would go down there to catch butterflies as well....and bees. He would pretend he was a mad doctor and stick pins through flies heads. Too much television. Dennis went to my father one time to ask for my hand in marriage. I think I was nine and he was ten. My dad said, "Sure. And, why don't you take the rest of her as well". He would sit for hours in his back yard, swinging on his swing and whistling the theme from Flash Gordon. My dad would be trying to take a nap before going to work. He annoyed my dad so much with this that my dad got out his trumpet and played the theme from Flash Gordon out the bedroom window. I have a picture of all of us....Dennis, his sister Donna, Eugene Grilli, who lived on Caldwell and the alley, Alan and Ronnie Alward (next door neighbors), and my sister. Great memories.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 17, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.