Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The incinerator question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you asking questions about the incinerator, there will be a public meeting held at WSU this Thursday from 9-12. Only one of the contracts expires in 2008. The other contract goes I believe until 2020. If you cannot view the pdf, let me know and I can e-mail it to you. Make your voice heard on the issue.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

application/msword
doc2.doc (29.2 k)

Lukabottle

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please delete the document I attached. I am having difficulty posting the pdf. It says its too large.
E-mail me of you would like more information at ah9191@wayne.edu.

The public meeting is for stakeholders who are concerned with the future of solid waste management and disposal in the City of Detroit.

The meeting will be at McGregor at WSU.

I can e-mail the agenda out to you.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9290
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luka - Is there any means to get your voice heard beyond that meeting? I suspect that most of us have to work at those times.

Is there a direct contact in the city to write to. I don't think an e-mail to KK and CC counts for much in this day.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a question: Why did they put the Incinerator in that location?

Lukabottle

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I will find out. My boss is going to let me attend.

I believe they don't advertise these meetings and have them during the day intentionally.

PussyGirl313, I will see if I can find out. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this board may know.

The incinerator does tours of some sort. If people are interested, I could find out more information.

Between volunteering t Recycle Detroit every weekend, working on my Masters, and working full time, I didn't have much time to post on the last incinerator thread. If people are interested, I could dig up the history and the current state of the contract involving DTE, Marlboro, GDRRA, etc.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luka, do you know if the recommendations in this council task force document are being considered by the stakeholders?

http://www.ecocenter.org/Detro it_solid_waste_plan.pdf

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope it closes!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I see the word "stakeholders" one more time, I'm going to scream. Except when referring to people owning stock or shares, you never used to hear that word until very recently, and now it's in every damned press release and article about anything. Why can't people just use "concerned parties" or "interested parties" or "vested interests?" "Stakeholders" sounds like a surveying crew, or people fighting vampires.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The key takeaway from the agenda is synergy for Individual Dignity Entitlement.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw, I am not sure. I know Rosedale Recycles, Recycle Detroit, and others plan to be there.

The steam contract ends in 2008. The electricity contract ends in 2025. I met up with a friend to get more background last night. We are actually in a buy back process with DTE and Phillip Morris who own the incinerator. I am under the impression that DTE was kind of forced into the contract. The City sold the incinerator due to the high cost of maintenance, quality controls, and construction costs owed to the Bank of New York and I think she had told me Comerica. My notes are at home so forgive my errors. She and I are going to the meeting to learn more. There are a lot of gray areas in the budget regarding the budget. It is not clear if it can be shut down.

PussyGirl313, I was told that location was chosen due to it's central location. It had to be built relatively close if the steam heat was going to be used to heat downtown and WSU. I believe WSU is no longer receiving the steam heat.

GDRRA’s will be holding their Stake Holder Strategic Task Force meeting to discuss their future plans of the incinerator. We at Recycle Detroit are requesting to have Council representation at this meeting.To my knowledge, Joann Watson is the only member ever to attend but I could be wrong.

I will keep you updated. Don't forget to come to recycling. The higher are numbers go, the more ammunition we have to show there are alternatives.

Christina

Col_kat
Username: Col_kat

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any info on the meeting that was held today at Wayne State?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a related note, is there still recycling in Midtown? I haven't seen the dumpster in quite some time.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was denied entry. Unfortunately I did not reserve a spot. I was also told you were only allowed in if formally invited. I apologize if anyone else had a similar experience. The memo did say public meeting.
One Detroit Yes Forum member got in. I am sure he will let us know what happened. I will be reviewing a tape of the meeting hopefully over the weekend.
I am currently in scheduling time to meet up with the president of Recycle Detroit to find out what was discussed. As I review with her, I will type up a review for you all.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown Recycling moved to 1331 Holden Street (Holden and Trumball). It is now known as Recycle Here. I will be volunteering there this weekend from 9 to 3 on Saturday. It is also open Wednesdays from 10 until 2. Please see Recycledetroit.com for more information.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I've always heard: locating the incinerator there (along with the destruction of Poletown) was CAY's revenge for the razing of Black Bottom/Paradise Valley.

Urban myth or based in fact? YOU decide...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.