Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Overrun by wildlife « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pheasants, coyotes, deer, now turkeys

lol, some little part of me kinda likes this intermix (except maybe the coyotes) - sure beats the usual raccoons, opossum, and skunks

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, there are living in the woods behind my house in Farmington Hills along with the deer. I have never seen any Coyotes there but I know they are out here in the burbs.

I was leaving my girlfriends condo in West Bloomfield and there was a deer eating in the tiny field between her condo and Maple just about 30 feet from me. It was not even phased by me.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 371
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is kind of cool actually

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not unusual to see one or two deer during my bicycle rides through Riverbends Park in Shelby Twp. (south of 22 Mile and east of Ryan Rd.). During a ride last fall I spotted a doe in the thick brush and decided to stop my bike. It soom emerged and crossed the path about 100 feet in front of me, followed immediately by five more does. The Clinton River valley in that area is thick with 'em.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a tom turkey strutting around the intersection of 13 and Van Dyke last year, must have been living on the Tech Center grounds. Big ass bird, looked in the side window, as I drove by him in my Jeep.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If people keep clearing the land and building big subdivisions further and further out, the animals have no choice but to go somewhere. Sad state of affairs in my opinion.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw a group of about half a dozen turkeys in a field off Ford road last week

a year or two ago there was one that would walk along the shoulder of Ford - the nearby landscape shop put up a turkey crossing road sign for it

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 913
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If people keep clearing the land and building big subdivisions further and further out, the animals have no choice but to go somewhere. Sad state of affairs in my opinion.

What happened to the wildlife when the place where you live was built? Don't you feel bad for them, too?

Actually, the animals seem to be doing pretty well, despite the encroaching development. They are sticking around, thanks to the preservation of large areas of greenspace.

Tammypio

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of hard to feel bad for them when I didn't build this house 50 years ago. I guess what irks me most is not when people talk about actually seeing the animals...that's kind of cool really. It's when I hear people in the grand new subdivisions complaining that there are raccoons and possums and other animals eating their gardens or causing some issue for them. It's the people encroaching on the animals, not the other way around. Sorry, I am just not a fan of more and more development. I choose to live in an older home in an older area and not in a new subdivision with no trees. To each his own I suppose...I was just stating my own personal opinion.
Have a good evening.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, it's almost impossible to encroach on raccoons, opossum, and skunks - they live everywhere - we just make their foraging easier

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammypio, i'm with you on the McMansions thing. Everytime I take a drive north, there's more trees being cleared for new subdivisions.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 406
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you driving? everywhere I seen has had little or NO development for the last 2 years.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moross and 94. ; )

Oakland County. Rochester Road. M24. Ortonville. Just to name a few.

Tammypio

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just North. I used to live on the border of Wayne and Monroe county on Will Carlton Road in Huron Township (Flat Rock). When I moved there, we had woods and farms, corn fields, horses were boarded and in a corral....I'd see deer in the morning and early evening.
In the last 6 years there have been several "McMansion" subdivisions built as well as a car auction or something, fast food gas station and another mobile home development. The area was ruined for me.
I've seen the same thing happen the further you go up I-94 towards Port Huron. That trip used to be great being able to see forests and some farms. Now...subdivisions....

Has anyone ever read Dr. Seuss' The LORAX? This is a book I read to my students every year in my ecology unit. It has a great message and relates to what we're talking about....the Lorax speaks for the trees and the brown barbaloots, the humming fish and the Swomee swans who have to move out after a manufacturer moves in and pollutes the place, "figgering on biggering, and biggering and BIGGERING".

Thanks for agreeing with me Chalu64....

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sprawl of metro detroit is generally ugly and unnecessary. But hey, if people want to commute an hour+ to their job and enjoy their 1/2 acre/$150K house then so be it I suppose.

Regional Planning - Getting it done in metro Detroit

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week after leaving Dunleavys on Grand River between Farmington and Drake I saw three deer by the pond on the Hitachi grounds. A few weeks ago I saw two deer off of Haggerty between 7 & 8 Mile roads. Both of these areas are heavily populated with plenty of traffic, stay alert while driving because you never know if one of these creatures might dart out in the road.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 525
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Has anyone ever read Dr. Seuss' The LORAX? This is a book I read to my students every year in my ecology unit. It has a great message and relates to what we're talking about....the Lorax speaks for the trees and the brown barbaloots, the humming fish and the Swomee swans who have to move out after a manufacturer moves in and pollutes the place, "figgering on biggering, and biggering and BIGGERING"."

My favorite book when I was young!

But what can you do? You NEED a Thneed! In this case Thneed is a brand new house you can barely afford an hour's drive away from the city.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64 said:
Moross and 94. ; )

Oakland County. Rochester Road. M24. Ortonville. Just to name a few.

-I live in Brandon Township (Ortonville mailing address), and it's amazing how many new McMansion subs they are building-I'm 17 and obviously didn't choose to live here, but I'm liking it less and less as it becomes more suburbanized. Oakland Twp. is probably the biggest horror story in suburbanization and overdevelopment in Oakland County.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planning is limited in it powers and a lot of people dont seem to realize it. Planners can suggest plans but a developer or city council can argue and claim his rights to develop the land as he see fit. I cant tell you how many times that these outer communities are taken to court or threatened over a development. Not to mention just because the planners zone a community it is not their decision how it gets built. Plus the myriad of different communities each with their own agenda or leaders completely unaware of inteligent urban design. Most people dont even consider these thoughts I cant tell you how many people dont even know what sprawl is. Most people just want a bit of open space and to be away from the congestion or to get away from the minorities. Most People often dont consider the built environment when they move somewhere, unlike most people on this forum. Business, to many political entities not working together, and value are the bigger reasons for sprawl. A authoritarian regional planning agency would probably be seen as to much bureaucracy to most people. Besides as a planner I hate to admit that it seems as if there is to much planning in our world today. Most of Detroit was built without such foresight and look at how everybody views the cities design. Developers have to meet a lot of requirements and often government regulations force them to make such wide street with large set backs or massive parking lots. PLus today we have a capability to live lifestyles with 1/2 lots in the exurbs after years of infrastructure construction and technological advances thats why we can build big cities in the desert. (Please spare me all of the Oil culture and how it will all collapse on itself soon, I get it. unless you have a flux capacitor dont tell me what is going to happen in the future)
Most people enjoy the quiet and when a lot of people choose 1/2 acre lots as opposed to a 60x120 lot you will see a lot more development. Take note how far that the rural homes go into even Sanilac county where people build on 20/30 acres those people have houses on every rural road now. Im not giving an excuese for them it is their own decision...they have that right like it or not. Dont forget that Macomb today has more forest acres than in 1950 due mainly to abandoned farm land growing to woodland. I am not cheering sprawl im just trying to say im sick of hearing how PLANNERS are to blame, as they are ina PART of the very very complex problem......rant over

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jive turkeys in Oakland County.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin89, if you use AIM please give me an IM at spaceboykelly when you get a chance.

(Message edited by spaceboykelly on June 04, 2007)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Humans are overunning wildlife and the environments the wildlife lives in.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night I saw a fox at Tricentenial State Park. I couldn't believe it. I was walking back to the car after playing with my two dogs, then this fox just comes barreling out of the brush where the Dequinder Cut starts. He/she looked more startled than me and just froze in the middle of the street. My dogs (both BIG dogs) were going nuts, but I got them in the car. So we're just sitting in the car and the fox slowly walks up along the drivers side and gives me that confused puppy dog look, then he darted off towards the river. Weird.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good turkeys are expanding their range. They were almost exterminated in Michigan and they've made a great comeback. In outlying suburbs in Oakland County there's a lot of deer & turkeys. I enjoy seeing them when I go fishing out that way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.