Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Salon on WSU campus open « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tabletop
Username: Tabletop

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salon X has finally opened on the WSU campus (in the Towers Residential Suites) @ 5272 Anthony Wayne Dr. They're open 10am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Men's cuts are $12, women's start at $15. They also have tanning and other various services. 313-833-5000.

I got a cut there this week. Nice place, cheap price.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a good, basic amenity to have on campus. Stuff like this makes Wayne a lot more livable.

One thing that I'm wondering about re: Wayne is the ability to purchase good food off-campus. I know that University Market (is that what it's called -- the place across the Lodge on Warren?) is there. Are the prices decent? If that place is decent in terms of price, then I would actually have to conclude that it is easier to get affordable food at WSU than UM. All the places around downtown A2 are small markets with high prices and stuff that never goes on sale. Meijer and other big boxes are all 10 minute drives outside of town.

Groceries...haircuts...coffee. All are basic quality of life parameters for a university.

(Message edited by mackinaw on June 01, 2007)

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Groceries...haircuts...coffee . All are basic quality of life parameters for a university."

When I went to Wayne, haircuts were optional. Many opted not to get one. ;-)

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 02, 2007)

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That market is kind of like your average Spartan store- the prices are fine. They do have a really fantastic international foods section, though, and the produce is pretty good.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that insight. Any solid grocery store is an asset.

Steve, I know what that's about.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw, that's a good point. i loved UM but we always had to coordinate trips to meijer or kroger with the entire house, and the guy with the explorer or truck almost always had to drive.

it's essential for students to have access to groceries on campus. (plus, they can stop at subway or that chinese place while they're at it).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the same as it is for me. You can also take a bus but you're limited to how much you can carry.

The addition of a grocery store on Cass or Woodward would really enhance the livability of Midtown.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! I may have to start getting my cuts there. Sorry suburban Bo Ricks. :-(

Jtw

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw -
What's wrong with Tomboy Market??

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2873
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not familiar with it. I don't live in midtown, yet.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a great haircut place on the ground floor of the Belcrest. I used to go there every couple of months or so to get a trim when I had a very short cropped afro.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtw
Tomboy's coolers are not cold enough, I think it was several months ago when all their meats were pulled after a health inspection. It's extremely filthy. They do have extremely cheap Kraft Mac & Cheese. I love all the drug dealers and drunks that hang out front. One called Red was really trying too hard to get a piece of ass out of my friend from New Mexico.

Jtw

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, luka, i was sort of kidding about tomboy. (i just didn't know how to put up a <wink> smiley!) i don't think any self-respecting person actually shops there unless they have no other options....

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

mackinaw, that's a good point. i loved UM but we always had to coordinate trips to meijer or kroger with the entire house, and the guy with the explorer or truck almost always had to drive.

Yeah the Kerrytown Market and the AA Food Co-op are in really inconvenient locations for U of M students. The Kroger on Stimson just off State is also way out of the way. And Traders Joe's on Stadium is practically inaccessible except by pack mule.

It's a wonder Michigan students are even able to eat.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One thing that I'm wondering about re: Wayne is the ability to purchase good food off-campus."

Isn't there some sort of (somewhat crappy) grocery store by Warren/Forrest and I-75? Seems to me I ran there a few times from CCS.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know that University Market (is that what it's called -- the place across the Lodge on Warren?) is there. Are the prices decent? If that place is decent in terms of price, then I would actually have to conclude that it is easier to get affordable food at WSU than UM."

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kerrytown is a farmer's market, which I love (being an Eastern Market fan), but it is not full service, and not an everyday thing. It can't take care of most of your needs. That's the problem more than its location. It's location is pretty good. Anyway, if throngs of students starting going there the townspeople would probably all have heart attacks, anyway.

Stimpson/State and Stadium are both too far from campus.

Jelk

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a very good regular old fashioned grocery store at the Kerrytown Market. It is in the same building as the Sweetwaters. And the Co-op is what like three blocks away.

quote:

Stimpson/State and Stadium are both too far from campus.

Yeah the pitiful Ann Arbor bus service makes it so difficult for carless students. Thank goodness the party store's offer reasonably priced kegs otherwise some students wouldn't have any nutrition at all.

University Foods is my regular grocery store so I have no complaints about that store. Still implying that Wayne State has superior grocery options to U of M because of University Foods is delusional Detroitism at its stupidest.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corridor also has Goodwell's, a great little [mostly organic] produce place. It's next to Avalon.

University Foods is fine... The "South University Village" plans include room for a fancy grocer.

Also, Leoqueen, that salon in the ground floor of the Belcrest still exists.

I'd curious to see the haircut output of Salon X.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same Salon X that closed a couple of years ago in Warrendale? I'd go there every so often to get my haircut. They had some great barbers, though the music was too loud.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bus service is great, Jelk, if you had read my posts earlier you'd have noticed that I mentioned it, but added that you can only buy what you can carry, and then lug that stuff off the bus back to your place (a few blocks in my case). Look, I've done this, just last week.

Like I said, the farmer's market isn't enough, and with regards to this other grocery store you speak of, I'll go check it out (I live off Ann St. nearby), but seeing as to how "organic" is in its description when I searched it online, I'm guessing it will be at least as expensive as the already-expensive White Mkt. on William St.

Spaceboy, let's hope that a grocer goes in that location. That would be fantastic.

Jelk

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The bus service is great, Jelk, if you had read my posts earlier you'd have noticed that I mentioned it, but added that you can only buy what you can carry, and then lug that stuff off the bus back to your place (a few blocks in my case). Look, I've done this, just last week.

The same can be said for walking to a grocery store. If you don't have a car you are limited to a couple bags of groceries which is plenty for the average college student.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd be surprised. If you're walking to the store odds are it's within a few blocks and you can go there every other day/as needed if you want. Taking the bus to Meijer is a 40 minute round trip bus ride plus however far you have to walk. This is not something you would want to do more than once a week when you're busy.

All I'm saying is that a national grocery store that can offer occasional sales is needed in downtown A2. Someone could pick one of the ugly 2-story office buildings or parking lots along Washington or Huron Streets and replace it with a grocery store, but no one will go out on this limb, even in A2, because the consultants are convinced that you need a suburban location with rich families as your customer base-- and plenty of parking on top of this-- to succeed. Everyone, even wealthy people, living in a downtown in this region will be underserved when it comes to groceries, because of various perceptions and the 'big box' mentality.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.