Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Who Knows Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lighthaus
Username: Lighthaus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell-o,just found your site. Very interesting.
Born and raised in Detroit 1942, grew up in the Grand River Joy Rd. area. Have sister and brother
still living in area as well. Between the three of use we can take you down a long road. Just for openers, can anyone recall taking the ferry boat to Belle Island and where did you get on??
What was the name of the large lumber yard that burned down on Wyoming around Five Mile Rd. around 1950?? What was the name of the movie theater just one block south of the Riviera theater and what was the name of the clothing store next to it?? Finally for today what was the name of the bar on Grand River that Danny Thomas began singing at before he became a star?? Hope to hear from anyone with correct answers.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 722
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Lighthaus. I know the answer to your first question, but haven't a clue about the rest. I look forward to reading the answers.

Lighthaus

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell-o, RjK, Thanks for the vote of confidence, can't imagine how embarrassed one feels especially frist time on this site. Nice to hear from you. Will give answers in day or two, must give others time to reply.
More on Danny Thomas question, his real name at that time was Amos Jacobs I believe.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The theatre just south of the Rivera was the Annex, or "Rivera Annex" as it was sometimes known. Check out http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=480&typ e=5

56P-nose his old theatres

Lighthaus

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice going 56P. Now what is the name of theatre located on Grand River south of Maplewood north of Tireman.

Lighthaus

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi RjK, Can remember riding that boat with my father when I was probably 5 or 6 yrs old, nice to know that someone else remembers it. 56P was very good with Annex answer, If I remember correctly there was a drug store on corner of Gr. River and Joy Rd. then the Annex after that a department store named Maas Brothers.

The name of the lumber yard as Erv Rustic Lumber, I ran off with a friend to see it and parents had police looking for us, got a warm bottom when I got home. I believe its the same Erv Rustic now located on Farmington Rd.just north of Plymouth.

As far as the bar goes where Danny Thomas (Amos Jacobs) started singing at, was the Fernwood Bar located at corner of Gr.River and Fernwood on the SE corner, just 3 or 4 Blks. south of Joy Rd. I grew up in an apartment bldg. right across the street on the SW corner. Right across Gr. River on the North side was Bet & Jessies fish and chips. Had many of good meals from their.

Ok, new question, what was the name of the dinning car restaurant located about two Blks. North of Gr. River on Joy Rd. by the Riviera theatre? A great place to eat breakfast after Sunday AM paper route.

2) There were two bowling alleys in that area where you bowled on the second floor, there was a third one but a little further away, name them??

3) Further North on Joy Rd. there was a police station that was relocated to Livernois and Elmhurst, what was the name of the police station?

Anyone may answer.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3) Further North on Joy Rd. there was a police station that was relocated to Livernois and Elmhurst, what was the name of the police station?

The old Petoskey Station -- 10th Precinct -- replaced by the Livernois Station around 1960 or so.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 80s I remember going to Belle Isle and Grand Blvd. would tunnel under Jefferson to access the island (I miss that) was it in the late 80s or early 90s that it was patched up?

Lighthaus

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to be in the late 1980s, as I was delivering in that area in the 90s. But do recall going under same tunnel as I grew up. Do you remember DQ across Joy Rd. at Petoskey? If you do the dinner was just south of there, on the same side of street police sta.was on.

(Message edited by lighthaus on June 03, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, the old Petoskey station area has slipped from my memory. Remember Fromm's Hardware at Grand River and Acadia? Worked there through high school and WSU. Addy was 8670 GR.

Lighthaus

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that the same Fromms' across the street from the Fernwood Bar that I was talking about. Correct me if I'am wrong but was there apartments on the second floor over Fromms'. If so was not the side street named Beverly Court? What year did you work there? I lived in the apartments right across Gr.River from there over an auto parts store. Do you recall the grocery store right across Gr.River named Georges??

Ray1936

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Fromm's was a one-story building. It still exists, only now it's the office of the Trade Union Labor Council (TULC). Or at least it was a year or so back. Yes, it was near the Fernwood Bar, which was on the south side of GR, while Fromms was on the north side. Wasn't the auto parts store known as "Neds"???? Don't recall the grocery store, sorry. I worked at Fromms from 1953-55. Main store was on Woodward in Highland Park, but I always worked at the GR store.

Lighthaus

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If thats correct, then Fromm's was in the same block or next store to the North Western bowling alley were the alleys were on the second floor, thats where I bowled my first game. Then across the street on the South side from you was the Riverside storage bldg. which is now located in Ferndale at Nine Mile and Hilton. I'am still trying to recall the name of auto parts store, but I know they moved across Gr. River to north side and to the other end of same block across the street from the Baptist Church. On the other two corners was a Sunoco gas station and a drug store named Mitters.
Neds was further west on Gr. River by West Chicago where Nardin Park is located. Hope this brings back some memories?

(Message edited by lighthaus on June 05, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.