Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Article on Iraqi refugee influx to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article was just posted on Yahoo. It looks like nearly half of the Iraqi refugees are expected to settle in the area. It's an interesting article, and I hope that regardless of where they settle they find safe and peaceful homes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 70601/ap_on_re_us/iraqi_refuge es

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, down here in Charlotte, I ran into a guy a few months ago that was originally from Dearborn. He was explaining to me how much better Dearborn was before Middle Eastern people moved to the city. To me however, I think that Dearborn is a great example of an "arab-town" just as Detroit has a history of Mexicantown, Poletown, Greektown, etc. The different character of each neighborhood in Detroit is one of the things I miss the most since moving away. I say, let the Iraqi's in!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9251
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He was explaining to me how much better Dearborn was before Middle Eastern people moved to the city

Did he elaborate? Was his last name Hubbard? IT seems to me that in a region that is in the shitter in a state that is in the shitter Dearborn is one of the few bright spots. If all inner rings were like Dearborn I would be pretty happy.

I ma not talking about demographics of people, just the upkeep, population growth, investment, etc.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because history does not always mean better. However many times no matter how hard you try a stereotype just continues to get re-enforced.

For example the local paper prints the police activity for the week, it used to be a small section about petty crimes, buy lately it is all about robbery and other various crimes. And everyone seems to be about an African-American. So this little peaceful former almost White area now sees and influx of diversity and crime is starting to increase. Guess who get blamed.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No he didn't elaborate; he was ironically a gas station attendant. In my opinion, whenever people are moving into an area (regardless of where they are from), the are does quite a bit better. In the particular case of Dearborn, as you suggest, it might be much worse-off if there weren't Middle Eastern folks there.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4181
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what does African AMericans have to do with People of Middle Eastern Descent in Dearborn?!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn was better before influx of People Middle Eastern descent.

<any> was better before the influx of <any>.

See the correlation now.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4182
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am assuming that what you were using was sarcasm...

Jt1

Post Number: 9255
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see sarcasm. I think he was pointing out that some people allow perception to replace reality. That is often the case when a new minority group enters an area that has no diversity.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America was better before the influx of pilgrims.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember history correctly...did't the migration in Dearborn (of those dastardly) middle-easterners begin decades ago to work at the auto plants...yes I think this is all over the funny writing they have...or maybe the smell of shish kabob trying to mask the aroma of the River Rouge plants...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks!

Dearborn is doing excellent as it was long time ago under racist Hubbard and the Arab who build their settlements in Dearborn really save the East side W. Warren and south Dearborn business corridor from becoming a ghetto. They build new houses, mosques, social services agencies, more new businesses. They turn all od Dearborn around.

Dearborn is NEW MECCA, NEW ISLAM, and the Arab capital of North America.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I percieve the middle eastern immigrant community to be filled with hard working family oriented citizens.Cross the border into Dearborn from Detroit, huge difference. Given the opportunity, I would date and marry a middle eastern woman. For the most part, I believe it is safe to say that there is less animosity and contempt between the genders compared to the situation we have in America where there is clearly strong feelings of apprehension to settle down with a partner. Besides, the food is great. It is interesting to note there is a middle eastern restaurant attached to a strip club on Michigan Avenue. So the Muslims can't all be as socially rigid and strict as we may percieve.

Jt1

Post Number: 9262
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So the Muslims can't all be as socially rigid and strict as we may percieve.

Terry, I agree with much of your post but this sentence jumped out for a few reasons.

1. Not all strip club customers live in the immediate area.
2. Not all middle easterners are Muslim.

Now a humorous fact about that location. There is one La Shish that does not serve alcohol. That is the one location that is attached to a strip club.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to Dearborn all the time. East Dearborn is spotless and thriving. Warren Avenue has been transformed. I see nothing but success there, and it is obvious as soon as you cross Miller Road.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Iraqi immigrants to Dearborn is great news. At a time when many are fleeing this state like its a house on fire, an influx of hard-working, decent people seeking to make a better life will certainly help the region.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At a time when many are fleeing this state like its a house on fire, an influx of hard-working, decent people seeking to make a better life will certainly help the region."

Has been said already in different words: http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/shrinkage.aspx

Sure is one way to turn around a city with a shrinking population!

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in business in the area since 1979 . I have many Chaldeon customers and clients . They are for the most part wonderful , hardworking , family orientated people . It seems as if the male gender becomes westernized faster than the women do . I enjoy my interactions with them very thoroughly . All that being said , I have yet to meet an honest chaldeon . I don't know why that is , but , they seem to have much more larceny in their hearts than other races I have encountered .

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"East Dearborn is spotless and thriving"

Well, Dearborn is actually a pretty big suburb. And yes, there are very nice part of it. But there are also some industrial nasty ghettos in East Dearborn near the border with the city.

You obviously have not seen those areas Softailrider.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.