Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit blogman does it again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a wonderfully painted entry
http://detroitblog.org/

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also admire his evocative May 24 essay, still atop Detroitblog, about seeing
quote:

one of Detroit’s most amazing historical structures that lay thrown in a heap, discarded and forgotten as so much of Detroit’s history has been.

Just today, as it happens, this same talented writer-photographer earns mainstream media recognition.

Michael Lee, assistant managing editor of Crain's Detroit Business, writes in its daily e-newsletter:
quote:

Detroit has been a favorite subject for photographers of both old and more recent vintage.

That last link brings up the whole topic of what’s known as “urban archaeology,” and Detroit’s many ruined buildings make up, for better or for worse, a mecca for those who want to see the abandoned relics of days gone by.

One such explorer blogs and displays his photos at www.detroitblog.org/.

Now, make no mistake: I generally think the people who bust into abandoned buildings are destructive louts who accelerate the declines of the buildings they explore, and we don’t need any more of them.

For that reason, I hesitated to offer this link, because I don’t want to promote the practice. But the Detroit blogger is a thoughtful writer and good photographer who has some provocative things to say about Detroit and the state of its neighborhoods, buildings and environment. And he’s documenting an era that for future generations will come to be seen as a pivotal point for the city, whether it rises or falls.

Well-deserved respect, shared by many of us here -- less hesitantly or grudgingly.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another superb bit of writing by the blogguy. Good pics, too. Thank you, blogman, whoever you are.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.