Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit products (Sanders, Kowalski, Faygo, et al) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an Eastland Mall thread, we started getting off the topic of the shopping center and started reminiscing about Sanders. It got me to thinking about many local products that we grew up with or take for granted around Detroit, but are not readily available elsewhere. I moved to NE Indiana about 20 some years ago, but come back to Detroit regularly. When I do, I stock up on Sanders hot fudge, Burghardt's rye bread, Kowalski hot dogs, etc. Kowalski has finally made it to a local grocery store near my home in Indiana (the only grocery store around that carries it), but many other things are not available. I remember when Strohs was not even available outside Detroit and for many years Vernors had not gone national. As it is, Vernors is still not well-known outside Detroit. I can only name about a half dozen people in my area who have even heard of it, even though it's available in the stores where I live. I realize that many of the "local" products are not manufactured in Detroit anymore, but they did originate there.

Any other local products bring back memories that you don't often see in other places? Faygo? Better Made? What else?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican Mustard

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jiffy!

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can get Vernors and Faygo at my local super market out here in Northern California. I'm a regular at Sanders web page. Mmmmm....Bitter Sweet topping!!!

If you ask for ginger ale on Horizon Airlines (a regional carrier for Alaska Airlines) you get Vernors.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born in Detroit, however when I was around 5 years old we moved to Massachusetts and we would vacation to Detroit to visit family every year.

I thought Detroit was soooo cool, we would go to Northland all the time. Vernors (I think it was only available in Michigan at one time, was it not?)Sanders and on and on.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to surprise my dad and other family members here in Raleigh, NC with Burghardt's Bread. I called and ordered some to be shipped (figuring they would want it prepaid) they said "we'll ship it, you send us a check later". What a pleasure to do business with, and the bread was better than we remembered.

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to send Better Made potato chips to my sister in CA. I remember New Era potato chips before they disappeared.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still makes me sad that Koepplingers Bread (sp?) no longer exists.....

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kowalski's hunter sausages with yellow mustard(yum)

Club_boss

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still makes me sad that Koepplingers Bread (sp?) no longer exists.....

It was a sad day at our house when their Egg Bread was discontinued.

You could actually taste the egg in it.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wkl,I'm in Norcal,I've never seen Vernors or Faygo. What store has it?

My grandmother worked at Sanders for 35 years. She worked the chocolate candy line. They picked her when the supervisor went down a line of women and felt their hands. The women with the cold hands, no fingerprints in the chocolate, got the job.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year my brother visited from Germany and he couldn't get enough coney dogs while he was here.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't see too many Michigan Made stuff anywhere, these are our little treasures. Only 5 states sell Better Made products and 3 I believe sell Faygo Products (Including Michigan).

(Message edited by Urbanize on June 01, 2007)

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One year my company made up gift baskets for all our foreign offices - we filled them with Michigan Wine, Better Made Potato chips, Morley Chocolates, Sanders Hot Fudge, cherries, Detroit post cards, and a CD featuring songs by Detroit artists, among other things. And a guide with the history of each product/company. We couldn't figure out a way to keep the White Castles, Kowalski hot dogs, or paczki fresh tho, so they didn't get any of those items.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortress_warrn - The Nugget Market in Davis (just outside Sacramento) carries both. They don't carry all the Faygo flavors, but they usually have 5 or 6 flavors on the shelf in the old 16oz bottles. I've seen Vernors from time to time in the Safeway in Davis too.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thread.

I'm in Washington, DC. I've seen canned diet Vernors at Pearsons liquor store on Wisconsin Ave., NW in Glover Park.

jan

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Towne Club? That's a Detroit product right?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about Towne Club? That's a Detroit product right?"

You're speaking of the original one they stopped making decades ago. The imitation one is NOT a Detroit Product.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Win Schuler's.

James

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 834
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite "new" product/producer is the Garden Fresh line: chips, salsa, guac. Absolutely the best schitt. So good that Costco has picked up their tortilla chips and salsa and is now selling it across the Midwest.

One of Detroit's more recent SUCCESS stories!

http://www.gardenfreshsalsa.co m/

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Towne Club was from Warren.

One product that is rarely mentioned as a Detroit product is the Eureka vacuum cleaner. The company was founded in Detroit in 1909 but left in 1945.

Ookpik

Lighthaus
Username: Lighthaus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try buying squirt outside of Michigan or even places outside of Detroit. Go down south, they never heard of it. Whats vodka without squirt?

Kville

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first time I drank Squirt was at the home of one of my parents' friends. When it bubbled up my nose, their friends thought that was the funniest thing. Vernors had that same effect and now my granddaughters call it "tickle pop." We're working on getting the next generation of our family to appreciate that and other Detroit products, even though they haven't grown up there. My son does all he can to make sure they all get to know the city every time we come up - he always takes them on a driving tour, which kind of fascinates my wife & me because he was only 8 when we moved to Indiana. He wouldn't remember a lot of things personally from when we lived over near Chandler Park, but we did the same thing with our two sons by visiting a lot of the areas around the city every time we came up, which is every month or two.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great-uncle was one of the founders of Better Made, so we always had them around the house growing up.

My favorite is the Red-Hot chips!

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite chips are Better Made, but I have to give some greasy props to Uncle Ray's flavored chips: Coney Island, ketchup, dill pickle, and vinegar & salt flavors. I just wonder what kind of chemicals I'm shoving down my throat...

Club_boss

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Detroit, around the holidays I would send a few packages of Better Made to a couple of lucky relatives.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wki's comment about Vernors on Horizon flights is well taken. Dora and I flew from Seattle to Wenatchee and I was served a Vernors.

Squirt, Vernors, Hires, Royal Crown Cola and a host of other "classic" brands are controled by Cadbury Schweppes America Beverages in Plano, Texas. I can get most of the brands out here in the Pacific Northleft, as CSAB/Dr. Petter/7-UP has a bottler in Everett, WA.

www.brandspeoplelove.com/csab/ Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

is their website, listing the brands and histories of each.

It's going to hit 100 out here today. Sure could go for a Boston Cooler......

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Better Made. I never was a fan of the Red Hot Chips. The BBQ was always good though. In grade school, I usually bought the BBQ instead of the Sour Cream and Onion with my astro-pak.

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silvercup bread and Mills bakery

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there were a lot of breweries long gone. Pfeiffer's, where my grandfather worked and retired from. Other beers, Goebbel's, E&B, are some that I remember.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squirt is a Detroit product? Live and learn...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friends great Uncle was Cross from Better Made so he always had a variety of delicious snacks.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twin Pines!
Vernors, back in the day, was made with cane sugar, aged in wood, and delivered a kick when you drank it too fast. They should label the new thin "Vernors Lite." When we had the flu, Ma would warm it up in a pan, flat and hot. But, the best was a Boston Cooler.
The vanilla took the edge off.
Regards,
Koko

(Message edited by Paintnprint on June 02, 2007)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 940
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, man. The Boston Cooler. Back in your commentor's youth-- somewhat heavy weed-smoking days-- the ticket to bliss, after a night of toking away, was the Boston Cooler. Ach, aye.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit product memories:
-touring the Vernors plant on woodward (just north of where the Whitney restaurant is located now) and finishing up with a boston cooler.
-touring the twin pines dairy on East Outer Drive and finishing up with a rich chocolate milk.
-going to the Stroh-haus before going on the Stroh's plant tour and quaffing a pitcher with friends
-driving to school down gratiot in the morning and rolling down the window near French Road just to get a wiff of that Better Made potato chip aroma which would permeate even through car exhaust and bus fumes . It was always neat to look at the potato chips going along the conveyor belt in the factory front window.
-Sander's story: my uncles had a barbershop on Jefferson and East Grand Boulevard right next to a Sander's (I believe there is a Big Boy there now). During the depression Sander's would add more hot fudge to your Sundae just as long as there was some ice cream left in your dish. Many patrons were pretty crafty about utilizing this feature to maximize their treat.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squirt isn't a Detroit product but does have a Michigan connection. The soft drink originally comes from Phoenix, Arizona but a bottler from Holland, Michigan eventually bought the company.

Now Grilli's pop - that's a Detroit product. My Grandpa was the only one I ever knew who bought Grilli's. He would go from the suburbs down to French Road and pick up a case of Grilli's. 12 huge 32 oz glass bottles in a wooden case. Awesome.

Ookpik

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Bulldog Ginger Beer? The only place I remember having it was Bette & Jessie's Fish & Chips. Really hot ginger taste. I think it was made in Detroit.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brownie (atlas) root beer

E&B beer...Pollas market(Kelly Rd in Harper Woods) had sales on E&B on Thursdays... ..16 ounce bottles with a unique taste

Vlassic Pickle (a Michigan product)...not quite as great as grandma's but a good dill pickle

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulldog Ginger Beer?! Nobody has spoken those words to me in forty years.
My folks liked it as a mixer, and had four cases in the basement. My brother, six years older showed me a way to get a bottle out of the stack, punch a nail-hole in the lid, drink it, and return it to the stack.
Now, at the time I thought this was genius, but later it proved not so much.
"You two drank half of the ginger beer!" Ma yelled.
That was the exact moment when I understood how valuable Bulldog Ginger Beer Was.
I promised to never do that again, and didn't!
Koko

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Atlas quit?
They used to have it at the "Schvitz" (Oakland Bath House) when I went there in the mid-late 90's

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad, Instead of Vlasic pickles, try Raskin or Topor. Both are Detroit area products, both are salt-brine cured instead of vinegar cured. Great pickles!
dave

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh.. by the way... I eat Better Made potato chips now, but when I was a kid, before Lay bought them out, It was New Era in the big metal can with the Statue of Liberty on it.
dave

OOps! is wasn't Lady Liberty Just a nude lady.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/tradewindsantiques/item/AD27

(Message edited by dave on June 04, 2007)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this was a Detroit product or not, but the market in the neighborhood where I grew up had an Aunt Jane's pickle barrel. You'd just grab the tongs and fish out one of them monsters.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topor's banana peppers are GREAT!!

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Vernor's with milk? At the factory tours, you could get small bottles mixed with plain or chocolate milk. There was a method to the mixing, too, otherwise the milk might curdle. If I remember correctly, it was milk first then Vernor's poured gently down the side of the glass - kind of like a Guiness.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another recent thread mentioned Velvet Peanut Butter made in Detroit area.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm, when Vernor's was at the foot of Woodward you could get a glass for a nickle. The Cream Ale as they called it was seven cents.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4468
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great new Better Made chips flavor are Sicilian flavored... awesome!

Is Pepperidge Farms local or national? I (unfortunately) live 4 blocks from one of their outlet stores in SCS.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave,
Wow, thanks for the memory jog. My grandfather kept a big can of new era potato chips on the top of his dining room china cabinet. It was a real treat when he'd reach for the can and treat his grandchildren with those great tasting (just rightly salted) chips

Mtm,
vernors and milk...I do remember that. We even made them for awhile at home (probably not the same consistency as the real deal but nonetheless a real treat)

Kville

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043_stotter - you wrote: "I'm sure there were a lot of breweries long gone. Pfeiffer's, where my grandfather worked and retired from."

My grandfather also retired from Pfeiffer's around 1956. He had worked at different breweries over the years, but that was the last one he worked at. What year did your grandfather retire?

Is Awrey's Bakery still around? Weren't they located out in Livonia or someplace?

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe my uncle worked at Altes brewery. My father told me he always had beer in his trunk

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread!!!
Is Karls nuts made in the D?

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kars nuts were made in Ferndale.

(Message edited by Jman on June 05, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, forgot about Kars (briefly).

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kars is in Madison Heights now and they give tours
http://www.karsnuts.com

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Kubich(sp)sausage(Slim Jims). If I remember right they were on 6 mile east of Gunston. You would ring a bell and they would let you in. My uncle would send me some every Christmas.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had not thought about this in YEARS, but my Grandpa used to take me to Saunders at Northland when I was little, and we would sit at the counter and have hot fudge sundaes in the little metal cups, and water in the little paper cones in the cone holders. That seems like a million years ago....

Well, maybe only about 35ish, but still!!

Thanks for the memories!

~Liza

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE FAYGO! and Everfresh Juice and those subs in the gas stations made on Fenkell..YUM!

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can actually get Vernors at a store in Rochester, Minnesota. Couldn't believe it. Love that Sanders website. My husband loves it too, he is a real chocoholic, and skinny as a rail. He thinks the Sanders website is one of the best things about Michigan. Sanders chocolate from Detroit goes quite well with a Pearson's nut roll from Minnesota.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still get Sanders stuff in GP, luv the bumpy cake!

http://www.sanderscandy.com/gp store1.htm

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awrey's is on Farmington between 96 and Plymouth. That's where they make the stuff and they have a store inside to get some goodies cut rate too.

Scotty00
Username: Scotty00

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - none of you posters called soft drinks soda! You must all be from Detroit! Its a midwest thing..."pop"...right?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4515
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not necessarily a Detroit product, but it does appear to be a Michigan product...

Almond Boneless Chicken at your Chinese Restaurant.... believe it or not...

How many of you folks located elsewhere in the USA can get Almond Boneless Chicken at your Chinese Restaurant??

(Waiting for people to check their carryout menus.) :-)

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven -
Kubisch Sausage is now located in Shelby Township at 50400 Rizzo Road (586) 566-4661. Was just there the other day. Still great!

Prenkert13
Username: Prenkert13

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Atlas beverages pretty well, but thats because my moms family owned it. Still have the old bottles and crates. But defiantly Faygo, and Better Made chips. I have a cousin that moved to Utah and cant wait to visit out here just for the White Castle, which i dont think is a Detroit product, and the Faygo cream soda. And what about Jets pizza? There square/ deep dish is one of the best pizzas ive had.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 80s I can recall the Stroh's Brewery on Gratiot, Vernor's on Woodward, Joe Muer's on Gratiot, Blue Bird Bakery on Kercheval,
Silvercup Bakery (before my time, but the facade was still standing in the early 90s) on Chene, Hostess on Oakman (is it still open?), Wards on Gratiot, its west counterpart on Grand River. A&Ps were (still) virtually all over the city (I have a list at the top of my head that's too long to name). Wards on Michigan in Dearborn, and there was one on Southfield and I-94. I can recall Exxon, Gulf, Texaco, Boron, Clark, (Union)76, Standard (now BP) Oil spread thorough Detroit like brushfire-this was in the early 1980s-Going to Hudson's with my grandmother although only the first 5-6 floors remained open.
Crowley's in the New Center area, Dittrich furs is STILL THERE! Simmons and Clark downtown now surrounded by microbreweries, most 'greasy burger' joints have left the eastside but the westside STILL has 'em-Elmer's on Oakman and W. Chicago is a huge favourite of mine-going to Sears on Woodward with my old man in the 80s and going there after school in the early 90s when I got older-sadly it closed down along with the surplus stores including the one in Warren that reconditioned lawn/power tools. Pizza Papalis, although Red Devil made the better pizza, is THE best pizza to have (most of the time), Jet's good, too. Better Made is still running strong-I stay down the street from it-Gibb's Wine recently closed it's doors on Gratiot and Harper but its Pointe Plaza location is running strong as well. Has anyone tried Faygo's Centennial soda? It's more addictive than Artic Sun from the 90s.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit products (Sanders, Kowalski, Faygo, et al)

I thought Barry Sanders was an Oklahoma State product.
I need to go to bed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.