Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bullets Old Photo 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K. gang, this one is not too much of a departure from the fabulously entertaining B.O.P 1. It may even be on the same street for all we know. Please take note of the bumper-to-bumper parking. I don’t think Detroiters were much better drivers then, then they are these day, judging by the battle damage. Without further adieu:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E006.jpg?t=1180656077
(Mikem, could do that bigamizing thing for this one too? It takes me forever. Thanks Pal)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it seems to me they were better back then. At least at parking anyway! The cars may be bumper-to-bumper but notice how straight they are. Nowadays some people park 3 feet away from the curb and their tires are all askew. Great pic though, thanks.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 905
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says "Yorkshire" on the front of this building.
Here is a resized and color-enhanced version of the photo.

Yorkshire Apts.

I would bet that this was taken during WW II and due to the tire and gas rationing that was in effect, many people parked their cars "for the duration" and that is why they are parked bumper-to-bumper.

(Message edited by Mikeg on May 31, 2007)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic! Note the flat tire on the '40 Buick.

Ookpik

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6266
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked a copy of my 1921 directory, and there is no Yorkshire listed. Judging by the style of the architecture, the apartment was likely built 1925-29.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3338
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yorkshire Apartments
1800 Seward, corner of 12th

Another street filled with apartment buildings; next to the Yorkshire is the Lancaster (1792 Seward), and next to it is the Seminole (1784 Seward). Twenty-one apartments in the Yorkshire, 15 in the Lancaster and 15 in the Seminole.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of pigeons in the upper deck.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Mikem! Thanks for the work on the posting, Mikeg; my main comp is busted, and working with the number 2 backup comp is tedious. I don’t know if it is possible to find out, but could both apartments be owned/managed by the same person(s)?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't beat MikeM--don't even try!

DY super sleuth

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet 2

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shows my age, they all look the damn same to me lol

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A true Detroiter, you are 56packman. The next post is for you.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a body under the '41 Plymouth?
And don't tell me those cars are randomly parked. They had to have been driven there,one right after the other. No way anyone is going to leave til the first car at the front of the line or the last one in line leaves first. Way too tight to manuever your way out.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Mikeg: "I would bet that this was taken during WW II and due to the tire and gas rationing that was in effect, many people parked their cars "for the duration" and that is why they are parked bumper-to-bumper." As for the ‘body’ it looks more like a paper bag, or tree branch with no bark under closer inspection. Or it could be the muffler, who knows…

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.