Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jacobys « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been seeing the old owner's dad outside the place a lot. Anyone know if the ownership reverted back?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bell family are still regulars there, and have been known to lend a hand from time to time...

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old owner is in there all the time, always checking out things. I asked the bartender why he did this, and she said he just likes to know whats going on. Must be out of habit

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5292
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad habit to pick up in my estimation. I've always loved that place; it's historic, not too stodgy and just feels comfortable.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went there last week for the first time. What an awesome place! The food is excellent and the beer is great. You're right Smogboy, the place is very comfortable. I love Detroit and all that it has to offer, especially historic gems like Jacobys. I moved back to Indiana after spending 3 years in North Dakota and I plan on going to Detroit as much as possible to visit more great places like this.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5304
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you dug the place. Like I said, it's nothing frilly. It's just a good down home sort of place.

You'd almost expect to see the likes of Frasier, Cliff & Norm in that place!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I try and make it down for a good dinner and brew at Jacoby's at least once a month, and have been for over 3 years now. seems to be getting more and more crowded, which is cool for business, but sucks when you can't get a seat and you're craving German beer and a plate of their infamous potato pancakes!!!! I was depressed for a short while when the news article about new ownership and new menu came out a year or so ago. Thank God the food is still the same!

Btw. please bring back the spicy peanuts...

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food's still the same?! They still have schnitzel?! I've gotta get down there! I haven't been back in well over a year because I thought the menu had changed.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that the food portions were a little small and that both the food and beer were priced on the high side at Jacoby's. Has anything changed with the new owner?

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good morning:

i worked downtown in the mid 1960s through the early 1980s and had numerous lunches at jacoby's.

i stopped in before a tiger game a few weeks ago and seemed a bit lost.

either they have done some remodeling or my mind has turned to mush (bet on the latter).

i remember the bar being on the right hand side when you are facing the rear, but now it is on the left hand side.

does anyone remember the bar being on the right hand side??

thanks,

jim

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goirish, you are correct. The bar was on the right hand side. There was a fire in the mid 80's (I think) that caused them to re-model.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made schnitzel last night at home and it was delicious! Veal in small-town Ozarks is hard to come by. Made my homesick belly happy!
I thought the portions at Jacoby's were ample the last time I was there. Of course, 12 of us had appetizers, bottles of wine, etc. Yummy!

Raptor56

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

portions are filling. I'm always stuffed. Beer prices however are a bit on the credit limit side. would be nice if I could get out of there for under $50 one of these days. Still have a good time every time I head down there!

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boy's rouladen was too tough. They didn't cook it long enough.
That one waitress there is great. A real sweatheart, even cooked something for my friend after the kitchen closed

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go there a lot under the old ownership. I've been in there only a few times since. On two different occasions I walked out in a matter of minutes (once because they were playing dance music so loud you couldn't possible carry on a conversation with someone, and a couple weeks ago because I wanted to watch a Tiger game and for some reason the handful of customers were watching a movie). Jacoby's was never really a sports bar, but you'd at least think that they'd have the Tigers on. Normally I would ask for a change of channel, but I didn't want to upset "movie night."

Raptor56

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music is my only real complaint (aside from the disappearance of the spicy peanuts). Too often they crank it up so loud you can't hear the person sitting across from you. The genre choices could be a bit better too. Dance music just doens't fit well in an old German bar. Get some Rock music at least.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.