Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Universities: No extra fat to cut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070530/NEW S06/705300310
quote:

Universities: No extra fat to cut
$95.3-million hit to funding could mean tuition hikes

May 30, 2007
Leaders of the state's public universities say that the $95.3 million in deferred payments and cuts in state aid dropped in their laps Friday are based on a faulty assumption that they are sitting on large stockpiles of cash.

But those assumptions have left the universities scrambling, with officials at many schools calling meetings Tuesday to figure out how to respond to the Legislature's moves to close an estimated $800-million gap in the state budget by targeting funding for higher education.

judging to this:
http://www.aaup-aft.wayne.edu/ pdf/Newsbriefs/NB_2007_May_Swi m.pdf
Wayne has plenty of fat to cut in administration salaries

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at a university computer store. I saw department heads come in at the end of the month and drain their budgets on PDAs and all sorts of "useless" stuff, just so they wouldn't lose any funding the next period.

I also noted that every single administrator on campus had a brand new Dell computer with a flat panel LCD - this was several years ago when they were still very expensive.

Don't tell me the universities have "no extra fat" to cut. They absolutely do.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to work at a university computer store. I saw department heads come in at the end of the month and drain their budgets on PDAs and all sorts of "useless" stuff, just so they wouldn't lose any funding the next period.

I also noted that every single administrator on campus had a brand new Dell computer with a flat panel LCD - this was several years ago when they were still very expensive.

Don't tell me the universities have "no extra fat" to cut. They absolutely do.

Yes, because computers account for the vast majority of spending at universities.

Dammit--you'll do your research on an Apple IIe and like it!

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They ought to use some of that $13 BILLION from the lottery. That's a helluva lotta money.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think of the millions of dollars MSU spends to pay off the contract of their old football coach every three years or so.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lottery money can only be used for K-12 education. And $13 billion since 1973 is a drop in the bucket. They only contribute about $600 a year to MI schools, not even plugging a small leak in the bucket.

I didn't see anything from the AAUP website showing there's a lot of fat to be cut.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On this website, anyone making over $100,000 is a criminal.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah private schools!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, Athletic Departments are usually self-supporting.

There are always a lot of classes and degrees which could be eliminated.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we eliminate education degree programs. Michigan can't hire it's graduates so why should we subsidize their matriculation?

Danindc

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The_rock, Athletic Departments are usually self-supporting.

That's not true at all. I would say that self-supporting athletic programs are the exception, and not the norm:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer /business/20070515_Most_Divisi on_I_colleges_have_to_subsidiz e_sports__NCAA_finds.html

quote:

There are always a lot of classes and degrees which could be eliminated.

Sure! Why keep programs that make a university well-renowned, help provide a world-class education, and generate returns for the state, when you could otherwise pass more short-sighted tax cuts?

_sj_

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or stop other areas from creating Public Universities because the other suck the pot dry with useless and redundant degree programs and classes.

While also limiting areas who would like a public university to be denied.

You do not rob Peter to pay Paul, when times are tough you cut back and when times get better you spend again, I guess that lifetime mentatility we have in this state seeps into everything.

If you searched the Internet I bet you will find more than 22 boasting a self-supporting athletic department. I can think of four in the area, UM, MSU, OSU and Penn State all spout off about being self supported.

Danindc

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Times are tough in Michigan because the State has spent the last 12 years cutting as many taxes as possible instead of investing in itself. If the State of Michigan won't invest in its future, why would anyone else?

_sj_

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

either way, times are tough and cuts need to be made. Sometimes they are hard.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about all the duplicate degree programs?? Do we really need Oakland and Beaumont opening a medical school?? How many MBA programs do we need in the Metro detroit area?? On it goes

Danindc

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yeah, that's brilliant. Demand for higher education is higher than ever, and you're going to eliminate programs to save money that was cut from the budget because John Engler had a beef with paying taxes. Anything else you can do to discourage educating the populace?

With attitudes like this, it isn't surprising that Michigan is the Mississippi of the Midwest. At least Mississippi will be building cars for a while, though.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Dan, you honestly think that there's no way universities can spend their money more wisely? They're already perfect? Sure.

Danindc

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to spend wisely when you're deprived of funding.

That's akin to asking a poor family why they don't eat better.

Track75

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Huh??? First, they're not deprived of funding. Do they want more, yes. As it is, UM only owns half of the buildings in AA, they could use more funding to buy them all.

Second, most people/businesses/institutions find that being short of money forces them to make better decisions than when they're coffers are so full that they're dreaming up new ways to spend it all.

Third, your analogy is just dumb.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tell that to the MI industries currently going through restructuring.

I don't see how the universities aren't getting it? If the people providing your income are scrimping to get by, how do you think you can get away without tighten your belt?

Danindc

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, good luck with that. How many more years you gonna wait to see if that strategy works?

You'd think you would look at Ohio and see how well their lack of funding for higher education has worked out. I guess that's too easy, though.

Track75

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The universities "can't" cut back. We "can't" look at state/local gov't employees' pay, benefits and pensions.

The competitive world of business is always dealing with these pressures. The insular world of government and public educational institutions don't face real competition and claim they can't be more efficient or adjust to a changing economy. BS.

Danindc

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you tell a university researcher that there's no competition in their line of work. Just let me know when you plan to do so, so I can watch.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is too much competition for university researchers, maybe the universities are graduating too many researchers. Maybe they should work on graduating professionals the economy actually needs. No, we'll just throw more money at the universities so they can hire more researchers. ( I thought a university's business was teaching students, not hiring researchers.)

State Universities themselves are competition free. We have given them a cushy world that doesn't force them to be more competitive.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc -

You must work for the government. Why do you need 10 MBA programs with all the overheads in a 30 mile radius?? Why not make 5 bigger programs.

I know it is hard concept to understand

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.