Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Independent Eyewear Retailer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kfowler
Username: Kfowler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to purchase my glasses at Bagley Optical. Sadly they are no longer in business (closed up and moved to CA). Does anyone have a suggestion of somewhere that a decision challenged person can go to select a fun/funky pair of glasses? [exam not required; knowledgeable staff a must]

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you are not averse to a trip to the suburbs, one of the best selections in Michigan can be found at Optik in Birmingham on Maple. Dr. Joe travels around the world for classic vintage frames...also new ones...but has a great selection. fun to browse as well.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House of Plastics in Royal Oak may also be a good option.

Kfowler

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks! i will give Optik and House of Plastics a try. primarily i'm looking for someone who knows their stuff and can offer good suggestions.

(Message edited by kfowler on May 30, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9326
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. William Koppin, Shades Optical up in B'ham.

Met him through Histeric, he noticed my vintage Matsuda frames from twenty feet away! He sounds like THE guy when it comes to unique and unusual frames, comes highly recommended by Histeric.

(248) 645-0075

He's a great fellow and an active investor within the city of Detroit.

ALSO, my usual optometrist, Ray Salerno, also up in the north country on Telegraph at 13 Mile...(248) 644-0644. He's got the patience of a saint, and service beyond what anyone deserves.

Kfowler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you need an appointment for any of these places? i will already have my prescription from my eye doctor.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Center Optical on 11 Mile in Madison Heights

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect to Gannon's recommendation, I know Bill at Shades, however Joe at Optik has the better selection of new and old as well as classic and one of a kind.

Gannon

Post Number: 9330
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't visited his shop, only met him in Campus Martius and got the recommendation from someone I fully trust...glad you have the eyes-on experience!! Thanks.

Kfowler

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you need an appointment for any of these places? i will already have my prescription from my eye doctor.

Gannon

Post Number: 9334
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K,

Sorry, heh. Made you ask twice, shit that's fifty percent of your posts so far...not a good welcome.

Lemme fix that. Welcome.

If you don't need the exam, it is unlikely you need an appointment to shop for frames...but it couldn't hurt to call.

The Salerno's close their shop for off-timed lunch hours according to the doctor's schedule, so you might miss them and waste precious gas and time.

Heya Rulez! You gots your fella's phone number?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess so.....but I may want a referral fee at this point.....

245 West Maple
Birmingham, Michigan 48009
(248).646.6699

Gannon

Post Number: 9339
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When all you've really earned is the charge they hit you with when calling 411?!

Just tell k where to send the cashola...hit up the doc for the bigger perk! (you only really earn something when they buy, though)

Kfowler

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks gannon and rulez.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.