Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Famous Detroiters' Burial Sites « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where either Fred Sanders or Dr. Clair Straith (the innovative plastic surgeon) are buried?

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither are listed on findagrave.com. I checked google.com....not much there.

I did find Dr. Clair(e) Leroy Straith's born and death dates. 1891-1958. Born in Ontario.

Nothing on Fred Sanders other than his opening of the first Sanders store in 1875. I'd guess he's buried well somewhere in Detroit. Woodmere..Elmwood...

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several famous Detroiters' graves are listed at findagrave.com. elmwoodhistoriccemetery.org is also a good web site.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irving Shapiro; Irving Milberg; and Harry Keywell; plus one other Purple gangster, the name evades my memory at the moment are interned at Macpelah cemetary in Ferndale.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie Wilson and Nolan Strong are both buried in Westlawn Cemetery in Westland.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crystal. I'm a sometime-contributor to www.findagrave.com and haven't been able to locate those two. I'd thought I'd ask the forum.

There's a good chance that Dr. Straith is buried in Ontario somewhere. Not quite sure if he kept his Canadian ties.

Fred Sanders is a complete mystery to me. He was from Chicago, originally, so he may be back there. I'll try the Elmwood site, though. Thanks for the tip!

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never come across Fred Sanders gravesite on any of my visit to the main Detroit cemeteries. I would expect that if he were buried at Elmwood, Woodlawn, or Woodmere, the knowledgeable tour guides would have mentioned it and I would have taken a photo.

Not familiar with Dr. Straith, so don't know anything.

Suggest that you try the Burton Historical Collection. Their Biography card index often includes the death notice, or a notation to published obits or articles in the Detroit Free Press, News, or Times. So if you can come up with a date of death, you could check the newspapers on microfilm to see if the obituary listed a burial site. (In Burton, often the obits are in the Reading Room File for that person or family; if you are not a Detroit resident, then it will cost the $10 daily fee to get the RRF brought up. The newspaper on microfilm alternative is more time consuming but less expensive.)

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: Dr. Straith was a plastic surgeon in the 1930s in Detroit who was appalled at the number of car crash victims with severe facial injuries he was treating. He worked with Walter P. Chrysler to create the first safety device (a padded dashboards and seat belts) on automobiles. His son, Richard Straith, M.D, worked on my injuries in the 1970s, which is how I know about his father. Originally on West Grand Boulevard, the hospital is now in Bingham Farms. For background, see: http://www.straithclinic.com/a boutUs/history.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame: If the Burton Collection doesn't lead you to the information you're looking for on Dr. Straith, try sending a letter (with stamped reply envelope) to the Straith Clinic, addressed to the Librarian or Office Manager, to see if they can help you.

P.S. I checked a couple of well-known biographical tools and could not find anything on Claire Straith or Fred Sanders. Despite their notable achievements, they evidently did not get noticed much outside this area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.