Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A radio documentary on the '67 riot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Doug_warren
Username: Doug_warren

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WILS AM in Lansing, MI is putting together a documentary about the 1967 riot to be premiered this July. To date, we have interviewed a number of Detroit residents, as well a members of the Michigan National Guard. We are currently looking for Detroit Police Department and Fire Department veterans to interview and gather their recollections of the events.

If anyone would like to take part or help us out with any leads, drop us an e-mail at the address below.

eblingandyou@tds.net

Thanks,

Doug Warren
Executive Producer - Ebling and You
WILS AM 3120
Lansing, MI

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad Martha Jean the Queen is no longer with us. She would have been a great resource, since she broadcast live throughout the riots. You might try and look up Jay Butler who used to work with Queen. I think he is at one of the religious AM's in Detroit.

As a sidenote, Doug, I was one of the people who launched WQHH back in the day. Glad to see it was sold to a real broadcaster.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great,

That's helpful Doug.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 914
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could we work on a documentary of the burning of cars after the 84 world series next? You know to truely learn from our past and move forward as enlightened individuals.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, let me apologize in advance for presuming to give you, a professional radio journalist, advice on a documentary project.

But anyway, please, please, please do not fall into the trap of other riot chroniclers and concentrate too heavily on the wistful Detroit remembrances of white folks who headed for Eight Mile after the riot purportedly destroyed their city. The '67 riot was a highly complex historical event that is easily susceptible to oversimplification when analyzing its causes and effects.

Good luck with your project.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia,
Coming soon to PBS

bubba

Doug_warren
Username: Doug_warren

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, I can promise you that it will be nothing like that. I am a Grand Rapids native and remember hearing my parents talk about the Detroit spill-over in West Michigan in July 1967. In my humble opinion, the '67 riot/rebellion was the most important and impactful historical event in Michigan since the end of WWII.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting source could be former Tiger pitcher Mickey Lolich. He was in the guard & was called up for riot duty during that time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.