Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Federal Indictment for former DPS Superintendent « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070529/UPDAT E/705290413
Of course, nothing like this could ever happen in Detroit. Right?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS employees have been saying Coleman was shady from the day he was hired. This indictment is not suprising news to us...

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in a few meetings with Mr. Coleman and he always seemed on the level, as though he wanted to do the right thing.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much about him, but I do know that many an indictment is the result of a vendetta or the career aspirations of a prosecutor. Think of the Detroit 18 and the Duke University Lacrosse team.

As the famous quote goes: most prosecutors could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich if they want to.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman came with Dr Burnley way back when as CFO. We based our opinion on him because of issues Dallas raised and his being fired from Dallas. When a CFO is fired and the circumstances aren't made clear, it raises many eyebrows.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As the famous quote goes: most prosecutors could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich if they want to."

except most prosecutors wouldn't waste their time getting an indictment in order to try a case that they didn't think they have enough evidence for to secure a conviction

there are exceptions to the rule, but this doesn't have the makings of one

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus: did you know that Rev. Martin Luther King was indicted once for his role in the Montgomery Bus Strike? In my life I've noticed that indictments (at least those that make the news) are often politically motivated. So I take it all with a grain of salt. The Duke University case prosector is who got indictments against three players seemed pretty professional too.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman seemed crooked to me when the local news surfaced of his alleged shady IT contracts awarded to his cronies who had little or absolutely no such IT experience. Now, his attorney claims that Coleman is so honest that no further local study about his alleged crookedness in Detroit is warranted.

However, IF Coleman is so innocent as his mouthpiece claims, then having studies in Detroit's DPS or criminal court exonerating him would tend to bolster his Texas criminal case. But, on the other hand...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like DPS was right on time in letting him go...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.