Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ford to sell Volvo? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4468
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think this is a good move? Ford could raise a good amount of $$ from this deal. Maybe even get rid of Jag as well?

What's your view?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Bus iness/Ford-eyes-sale-of-Volvo- cars-paper/2007/05/29/11802051 96839.html

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good move...they tried to grow their business in the 1990s by acquiring brands that either were competitors with their other brands (i.e. Jaguar v. Lincoln) or that belonged to market segments that they had little experience appealing to (Volvo, Land Rover, Aston Martin)...

A retreat back to the basics (a focus on building practical cars that appeal to the average, middle-class American) is probably their best move at this point

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All part of the Jacques Nasser days. Get rid of it.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard rumblings about this too. However, (and I haven't double checked), I believe Volvo has been a pretty good source of profit for FoMoCo over the years. But even beyond that, Volvo's safety expertise is highly valuable across all Ford brands.

I may not have this correct, but I view Volvo sorta as a 'near-luxury' brand like Acura, SAAB. I certainly would never put Volvo on the same level as BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus, or Lincoln, even though Volvo is a far stronger brand than Lincoln.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I would say keep Volvo, bag Jag. Jaguar has been a loser since Ford bought them way back when. Plus how in the world does Lincoln and Jaguar fit together? Sure Jaguar is "European" but I personally feel that doesn't mean beans. If Lincoln started to do what it used to, being American doesn't mean squat. It is the metal, not the brand that determines success. Jaguar has been starved just as Lincoln has. Keep Lincoln, make it truely American and top-notch instead of spreading development dollars across Jaguar and Lincoln.

On the other hand, Ford needs cash, and selling Volvo while it is worth a lot might make sense. But I worry that Ford is gonna sell off all the good, valuable stuff, and end up with all the crap that continues to generate crap profits.

Ideally? Ford already jettisoned Aston (a shame, and fine cars, but I can understand). Keep Mazda, they fit, are Japanese, and give them a fun-to-drive brand. Keep Volvo. Good profits, safety engineering, and good name. Also a good mid-level premium brand. Kill Mercury. Worthless. Jettison Jaguar. Competes with Lincoln and is a lost cause after almost 2 decades. Keep Lincoln but quit starving them and quit screwin around with their identity. American. Bold, brash, sexy, and powerful. Embrace that. Lincoln can still be relevant in today's world. Keep Land Rover. there will always be a market for premium, capable SUV's, even in times of high fuel prices.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I heard BMW looked into Volvo's books. Either BMW is interested (can't really see that happening) or they just took the opportunity to look at their financials for competitive reasons.... Probably the latter. BMW is a little merger-shy after the Rover debacle...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 995
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Volvo's the only partnership (also Mazda) that has been any use for Ford.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw in the Lions and you got a deal!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt they would sell Volvo. I believe they have been a profitable part of the overall Ford operation. Also, Ford designs seem to have benefited greatly from Volvo engineering.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems Volvo is getting more integrated into Ford than any other of the Nasser acquisitions. Ford would be better off dumping mercury, or making Mercury a home to imported Ford Europe/Ford Australia products

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd get rid of Millen first.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think selling Volvo would be a horrible move. I agree with selling Jaguar, the non-profitness helps no one. Volvos have greatly helped Ford along the way. However, they need to step up their game. Go green, look more at gas mileage, all that good stuff. Create an inexpensive, reliable, well-performing car, and seal your fate. Otherwise, continue plummeting into the land of no return.

Getting rid of Aston Martin was a horrible move on their part. It seems Ford just keeps repeating its mistakes.

Perhaps it should venture into making a few more half-million dollar cars (ie, Ford GT [poor gas mileage, but fast as hell]), sell those that can compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini, gain more international credentials, sell more cars, or in this case, sell less cars that cost more.

So there it is, the key to Ford's success: sell fuel-efficient, stylish, inexpensive cars domestically and sell fast exotics all over the world. Make billions, and give half to me. ;)

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope this doesn't happen, or I'll be forced to only use my a-plan on Mazda vehicles.

It would also kill my "Built Fjord Tough" joke.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BAD idea folks.

The Volvo purchase is one of the most successful, and profitable, ventures around. Ford gets alot of good stuff from Volvo, least of all brand durability, safety kudos, etc. Why would they get rid of it?

I say, get rid of the PAG, but NOT Volvo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.