Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » So much for keeping Lower Woodward Clean « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks douchebags!

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.. thats pretty lame.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's par for the course, but when I saw it today it really pissed me off. With all the work that has gone into fixing up the facades downtown someone had to go and S**t on it. The only saving grace is that no real work has gone into that building yet.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the DDA should really paint that over!

Get those clean downtown folks on it!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, that is a pretty big painting. It looks like someone took all of thirty minutes to do! Where the hell are the cops in this city???? That is what pisses me off the most. <313>

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's practically at street level on Freaking Woodward! Are you telling me that no one noticed?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. That should easily have been stopped.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4469
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, but it's art and it's so creative and blah blah blah. Whoever did that should be placed in jail for a month.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet we see the vid on Youtube soon...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its been up there for awhile... it really pisses me off. No one noticed this while it happens?? It's sick. World class city, my ass

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's kind of a sweet tag; a response to it's surroundings.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No tag is a sweet tag, especially if it is your building.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't agree with it, but at least it was on an abandoned building. Drawing attention to abandonment isn't necessarily always a bad thing either. It's probably what they had in mind. They could have tagged Compuware's granite, or the Guardian's facade. Again, I don't agree with it, but just trying to be objective.

It's been there for weeks. How about the building's owners? They're ALLOWING for this to happen.

(Message edited by 1805 on May 29, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing these assholes had on their mind was to deface other people's property

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taggers are vandals, period. They should be punished just like anyone who destroys private or public property. Those of you who think tagging can sometimes be "justified" are naive.

If a tagger wants to draw attention to him or herself, why not pay the expense to rent an art gallery or have a show on someone's property who likes graffiti? Maybe that person could become their sponsor and commission the tagger to do the work. If done on someone's property, the graffiti could be displayed on large canvasses attached to poles that go into the ground. They could advertise the event by calling the local TV stations to do a feature or put ads in the paper.

Oh, that's right. Taggers want to tag on someone else's property for free. Well, the least they could do is call the owner of the building and ask them how much it cost to clean the graffiti off, and then reimburse the owner for the cost. Again, that would mean the tagger would have to shell out his or her own money.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the second word on that? Not really great work, I've seen better. As for it being such a bad thing. There are alot worse things you can do with buildings. It's just paint. You would think someone set the place on fire from the way you guys talk about it.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I half agree with Royce and half with 6nois. I am strongly against tagging. Although the art major in me appreciates the work of artists such ask Banksy (google him). I really want the city to come up... and as delinquent as taggers are (this is where I agree with 6noise) aren't there A. worse things they could be doing and B. where the F were the cops?... keep it in the cut. Its like a my D is bigger contest with tagging and how blatant it can be. uhg...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois-
You have to go clean it off/repaint it.

Don't tell me its just paint. Fixing that "just paint" is a pain in the ass.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5551
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Fowler Building, right? I guess the proposed renovation was little more than a play, then? lol

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yet another reason to stay away from Detroit.....ya know, I havent said anything negative about Detroit in a while. I decided that my comments were uncalled for, BUT seeing that you all choose to continue to bash me every chance you get, I will return the favor by once again stating what a shit hole Detroit is.

We dont tag up here, how civilized!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it still there today (Tuesday)?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Luxury and Rio.

If you look at the fill, it's quite janky. Either they had a real short supply of silver or got spooked painting that spot. Probably took no more than 10 minutes.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The person behind this should be dealt with VERY harshly.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please report any graffiti downtown to the clean team. The more complaints they get, the quicker they'll react. http://www.cleandowntown.org/t eam.asp

It would not be hard to put a tag like that on any building downtown in the middle of the night. Have you people ever walked around the city after 2 AM?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

graffiti = shitty city, Cleo?

I see graffiti in some up north towns all the time. Clearly all shitholes.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo,

Tagging happens EVERYWHERE. Teenagers climbing up to the top of the water tower in the middle of the night to write something offensive or something that will convince their gf to have sex with them is practically a part of the "folklore" of small town America.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9287
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It would not be hard to put a tag like that on any building downtown in the middle of the night. Have you people ever walked around the city after 2 AM?

Often, walking biking or jogging through in the wee hours...and I've never seen any untoward activity, taggers or scrappers. I find it amazing, since I'm out those hours so damn much.

Fuckers are like shadows...

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The “Just Paint” argument is total bullshit. Try cleaning paint off limestone without damaging the limestone.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe MOCAD could open a gift shop at that location and incorporate the “tag” into the name/marquee. Seriously though, they need to clean that up ASAP or it will encourage more of the same.

6nois

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why exactly should I clean that off, I didn't do it, I don't own the buildings. And no matter what you say it is just paint. In this case it looks like paint on tile and I don't know what that other material is, possibly wood.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but they don't have grafitti in Detroit, right?

I saw this while driving past the other night... kinda amazing that someone could do that unnoticed on the central artery for the entire region, lol.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn if we can get that campaign reinstated from the 80's "Say Nice Things About Detroit" we would be ahead of the game. Tagging is so damn common, but here in the D everything that happens in other cities on a regular freaks us out. just clean the damn wall. Fortunately there aint been a business in that building since i was a toddler.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 996
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as general cleanliness, I was in from Chicago a few weeks ago for the Tigers-Cards game on Sunday afternoon. That stretch of Woodward was a shithole...looked like it hadn't been swept in weeks, though most of it was probably just from the hoedown the night before. Garbage everywhere, broken liquor bottles, empty pop bottles. You would think that after a major scheduled event like that, they would have someone cleaning up "Detroit's Main Street" before 1pm the next day.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske's slipping! Oh where art thou saviour?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This past Friday when I was on Woodward late at night-- after a game and a concert in CMP and with techno fans arriving-- the street looked very clean. I would have noticed something as I was sitting out there for a while. And there are pedestrians out pretty late...there was plenty of company til I left downtown at 1:30am.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus: The City could try putting garbage cans on all the street corners (for starters). It won't do anything for the truly lazy, but it'd be a start.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've often wondered how these people never get caught in the act. That took some time to finish and it looks like a ladder was needed.

I guess quickness is one of the qualities of these vandals.

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are garbage cans all over that stretch of Woodward, but it continues to get trashed after large events and especially windy days. Doesn't help that all those cans are rooted through regularly by the homeless or kicked over by the random crazy waiting for the bus.

That said, the Clean Downtown workers are there pretty frequently.

On the tagging front, a window on the vacant space next to the new Salad Creations was hit this weekend too. Not as major as the building in the pic posted above, but still frustrating...

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sort of grafitti gets done in every city I visit, just clean it up in a timely manner. Detroit doesn't not have the market cornered on people who abuse things for sure,it is how you deal with these problems that matter. I did get upset a couple of weekends ago on my downtown walks to see kids on skateboards continually jumping and riding the Compuware granite planters and edging their boards on them chipping them in the process, they didnt seem to care less, I mentioned it to them and they looked at me like I wasn't even there, they could have cared less. So, I reported it to Compuware Security. Cleo, my little town up north where my cottage is has obscene graffiti all over its buildings and sidewalks, kids have painted obscene faces on all sorts of public figures sign in the town, guess that makes up north shitty also. I think this abuse is actually more of a comment on society today and the lack of respect , not on Detroit alone.

Gannon

Post Number: 9297
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sh-h-h, you might shatter her carefully constructed false zone of isolation from reality.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that today when I went to salad creations. Someone used what looks like black shoe polish and started writing on a nice building. This type of thing should not be tolerated. Why is it that some people just act like a complete ass?

I'm a downtown office worker and I love being down here. The city really needs to pay attention to things like this. Better hope the media don't make this a big story if all this is left on the buildings by the weekend.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward: don't know about the garbage cans. I'll guess there are a total of two (for example down one side of Woodward) from Grand Circus to Campus Martius. Could be wrong, but it's pretty slim pickens. Noticed much of the same thing for the rest of downtown (campus martius itself not included, as it seems there are 4 cans per every 100 square feet of park).

Anyway, you hit on a bigger point here - the only time I see police down there (grand circus, where I live) is during Tiger games. And the occasional passing police car from time to time (granted, I'm not watching 24 hours a day).

I understand the budget sucks and blah, blah, blah, but what these stretches need are beat cops. Especially in area where you are trying to get people to live. Maybe the assholes smashing bottles, dumping trash, the homeless harassing people left and right, might think about it if they actually noticed a hint of law in the area. Just sayin.

And another thing, if that area didn't look so shitty half the time with all the homeless sitting around (in what should be a really nice park), and trash actually found it's way into garbage cans - maybe 1 or 2 of the 30,000 folks coming in to or out of a Tigers game, might actually like the area and think "Gee, there's police, I'm not getting harassed by all these losers, and heck, it's kinda clean" and even think how "neat" it might be to actually live in this area.

And I know, someone is certainly going to come along and say it's the suburbanites who do most of the trashing. B.S. Sure, some do. But they are not alone in that one.

[/rant]

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill,

I see those same skate boarders on the weekend skate boarding all over the nice railings and planters up and down Woodward. I said something to a group of them and they had that same look like they probably gave you.

Why aren't there any 24-hr police presence up and down Woodward besides just game days or events? A lot of this can be stopped. The city needs to really enforce rules about how people are to treat our nice downtown and its properties.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see tagging gone out of control, check out Rome. It's literally everywhere! I was astonished. I'm used to seeing it on overpasses and unoccupied buildings here but everything is fair game there, even cars. Something like that is a lot more than 'just paint'. It sets a negative view of the area.

I found an article that illustrates a sample of what I saw:
http://athomerome.blogspot.com /2007/01/un-american-graffiti. html

6nois

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know Bay City had a problem with skateboarders. The solution was a fundraising effort and the construction of a skate park, and the installation of skate stoppers. Detroit could do the same thing at minimal cost, but instead you'll just complain about the youth of this country.

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if Detroit could build a park for skate boarders. But they are damaging property. Those granite planters by Compuware and the railings around the flowers on Woodward look nice. I don't think no one is really making it a "complain about the youth of this country" issue, but to respect the property. I'm 24 and a worker downtown who wants downtown to stay nice for generations. Downtown looks nice with those additions. A chipped granite planter or sharp broken railing with dirt spilling out doesn't look nice at all in the near future.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about I invent a sport called Sledge Hammer throwing? We all see who can throw sledge hammers at city property from the farthest away. Hey, don't get down on me pigs! SLEDGING IS NOT A CRIME! my bumpersticker would say!

Gannon

Post Number: 9301
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sturge!

Yeah, I saw that early Roman documentary where they highlighted this extreme graffiti behavior...what was it...

...oh yeah, The Life of Brian.

The Monty Python troupe, some of the best documentarians ever in film!

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill, no, it makes your cottage town shitty, not mine, there isnt any graffitti here. People here have pride in our little beautiful town on the Lake

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo, you just love to shake the cage in here, dont you?

Instead of insulting folks, try some kindness. You sound lonely? Jane

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've often wondered how these people never get caught in the act. That took some time to finish and it looks like a ladder was needed.

I would be very surprised if a ladder was used to get up there. Notice the black mark above the "i" in RIO? I'm willing to put my money on that hole being their route on to the ledge.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.