Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old address's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing all the photograph's of present Detroit neighborhoods, and knowing how it used to look, I have one question--- what has changed? For the most part the streets have the same names! the address's have remained the same! Was it the people that that caused this change?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing you can count on in life is, "Nothing Stays The Same".

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember is that in 1920 the City of Detroit changed their street numbering - for example, my 1905 home was built as 276 became 1424 om 1920.

Bob Cosgrove

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my old neighborhood (Sorrento, Fullerton to W. Chicago) over half of the homes have either burned down or been razed. All this in the last 25 years. The street name is the same, and the remaining addresses are the same, but it looks more like Berlin in 1945 than Detroit.

Was it the people? Sure as hell wasn't geologic forces.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same for my old area McNichols(Seymour) and Chalmers. Our house and quite a few of our neighbors are now vacant lots.

My Mom drove our street and was sick when she what it has become.

No one respects anything anymore, not even themselves.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community pride and self responsibility appear to have left the neighborhood.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we are getting some real answers to my question!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn from Gunston to Elmo is a disaster. Most of the frame houses are gone. The runway into the airport is layed out differently now, but an emergency landing on Whithorn would be a hell of a lot easier at this point.

Was it the people ? I think that Ray1936 hit the mark. Furthermore, I think the people that truly cared about the city reside at Mt.Olivet, Forest Lawn, Woodmere,etc. When the World War I and some of the World War II generation died a lot of the Detroit spirit went with them

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.