Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bill Ford Jr. in the Freep « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something strikes me as really wrong with this - it's as if he lost sight of the fact that HIS company used to be the/a engineering innovator. As much as I appreciate Bill Ford Jr.'s personal touch, thank God they have an engineer back at the company's helm.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070527/COL06/7 05270678

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Brain Trust that determined how autos pushed themselves down the road used to be located in an Albert Kahn designed building in Detroit.
He's saying the development and entities working toward new propulsion technology are spread out and not centered where cars are made.

I strongly believe Michigan could position itself to have that back, and that the rings of design and manufacturing could again, spring outward from Detroit.

But ya'll have to seriously fire some politicians to do that. And I mean soon.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just why should Michigan be the locus for change? It's doubtful that Toyota would even have any MI facilities whatsoever if it weren't for the UoM being in AA.

And, BTW, Toyota just announced another (indirect) Indiana expansion. Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and points south are the expected loci for meaningful automotive manufacturing. GM and Chrysler will survive--but as smaller entities than at present.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money. Overpay them. It's worth it.

Silicon Valley became an electromagnet for PhD's that way.
And the manufacturing base was right up the road.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 27, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the meantime, prominent conservative writer Ben Stein gets it right:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05 /27/business/yourmoney/27every .html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=s login

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I said that the new Deloreans and Iacoccas were needed to make stuff we want.
Ben agrees.

The argument that a wind tunnel dictates shape for all makers, is true to a degree. But we will work within that parameter to make it sexy.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 27, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find enough fuel saving elsewhere and the wind tunnels won't matter

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.