Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ben Stein still has faith « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Ben, everyone's saying Detroit needs to make 'green' cars...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05 /27/business/yourmoney/27every .html

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Ben forgets is that "Detroit's" average labor cost of $2,000 per car only includes the wage and benefit costs paid to those who actually work in the plants that make the components and vehicle. It does not include the costs of those sitting in the "jobs bank" nor the health care costs for the two retirees being "carried" by each active worker.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lilpup, for posting Ben Stein's column. I read it this morning and thought to myself that it would make a good forum topic, and would have posted it myself if I knew how.

Stein is a remarkable person. I enjoy his NYT columns, his weekly appearances on Fox News' Saturday financial programs, and his commentaries on CBS' Sunday Morning show. He's got a remarkable amount of common sense, and a unique style.

His father was a prominent economist, as was he. He also became a lawyer. Stein was an economic advisor to Nixon, and became his most influential speech writer. He was also an actor in his spare time and had a great role in Ferris Bueler's Day Off; Stein was the dour, monosylabic teacher -- "Beuler? Anyone?"

Has made a fortune as a stock picker and is a recognized expert on investing. Hence, his weekly appearance as a financial commentator on Fox News. (He lives in San Diego suburb Rancho Santa Fe, close to a good friend of mine. Rancho is the most affluent community in the U. S.
Good for him.) He's also a great social commentator. His commentary on CBS' Sunday Morning show this morning was typical. He focused on "redemption" as illustrated by Barak Obama's commencement speech this week at George Wallace Community College in Selma Alabama. Only in America.

Although he is a conservative on most issues, he has a well developed liberal viewpoint on many social issues. For example, he is in favor of higher taxes for the rich.

And, he really is a champion of Detroit made cars, a frequent topic of his commentaries.

Thanks again for posting the link.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn good article. Huzzah for Ben! Thanks for that link.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the many problems that has brought on the decline of Detroit automakers is the rise of science of aero dynamics following the oil shocks and CAFE standards.

Adherence to those demands has has tended to reduce every car to near look-alike status. As a result there are very few stunning design revolutions like the fins, fast backs and tons of chrome days where the new year's model actually looked like something new.

Witness how Cadillac almost destroyed its brand by using the same body model as a Chevrolet - the Cimarron I believe it was called.

In that situation, other things like handling, durability and fuel economy [things Germans and Japanese cars excel at] gain precedence in buyer's decision making.

Now it will take something like harnessing fusion energy to liberated design from aero designs and return us to the fifties.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tolyatti, Russia, sounds like an American city I know.
http://tinyurl.com/328nn7
quote:

"Our city is a monster standing on a crutch. The crutch is Avtovaz. If that's taken away, the city will just collapse."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.