Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Squatters wanted? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 435
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ran across this on craigslist. Do squatters have internet access to see the ad? Hhmm.

Documentary filmmaker seeks squatters for film

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Reply to: comm-336159355@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-22, 3:05PM EDT

Hi:

I'm a documentary filmmaker who's looking to do a short film about squatters and squatting in Detroit. I'm looking for anyone who would be willing to be subjects for the film – I can and will keep all identities anonymous, faces blurred, etc. Any level of confidentiality requested will be kept.

There is no pay involved in this, however, except for publicity for the cause of squatters in Detroit and across the country. I'm hoping to show the human elements and stories behind squatting, and how a place like Detroit could possibly benefit.

Please email me personally, and feel free to pass this on to others who may be able to help and steer me in the right direction.

Thank you.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 336159355

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Copyright © 2007 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

(Message edited by wash_man on May 26, 2007)

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine many squatters are checking Craigslist every day...

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd better go and sign up now, oh wait, what the hell do they mean by "squatter"?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 886
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either:
a) this "filmmaker" is too lazy to research the subject and look for squatters out in the field
b) there is such a scarcity of squatters that "documentarians" must advertise for them
c) both of the above

Regardless, it appears that this Michael Moore "wannabe" is determined to show us the "stories behind squatting" and share with us his pre-conceived notion about "how a place like Detroit could possibly benefit" from squatting.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows what he's doing? Talk about preconceived notions.

I know of a couple of buildings in Detroit that have been saved through "tenant action" and that could be considered squatting.

Used to be that in the event of utilities shut-off, the utility company would advise tenants on the technical legalities of squatting a building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.