Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Irving Theater Demolished « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove down Fenkell yesterday and saw that the Irving Theater, as featured here:

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2004/05-summer/09-IrvingThea terFull.htm

Has been demolished. I have no idea what is going it its place. Given the condition of the area likely nothing. However there are dozens of burned out and vacant buildings in far worse shape than what the Irving was in. Don't know why this one met its demise before the others.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It caught fire & was destroyed. This was on another thread.
By the way it's just as well it's gone- one less empty place for rodents & human trash.
FYI... I loved that place as a kid when the entire area was decent & livable. My family & I saw many pictures there-we lived on Burt Rd just a few blocks away. But then Brightmoor was a decent area many many years ago.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't Brightmoor one of KK's neighborhoods he's giving millions of dollars to?

The saddest thing is there's nothing you can do to stop the city from contiuously falling apart...

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny for some reason I was thinking about that theatre the other day, wanted to take a pic. Few years ago I dated a woman who lived on Chapel. Rough area.Many street prostitutes.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"dated" huh!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went steady with-sort of..on and off couple..not dated as in paying for sex..not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anyways what is the history of the theatre? What kind of films did it show?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh
In the 60's up until the the mid 70's it showed 1st run films like most neighborhood movie houses. Then it became an X rated place.I think it was converted into some kind of church some years back.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opened in 1927, seated 1025 people, was designed by the firm of Kohner & Payne, who also designed the Ramona and the RKO uptown (AKA "six mile uptown"). The facade was modernized in the early fifties with the addition of enameled steel panels. It had a two manual (keyboard) six rank (set of pipes) Robert Morton (brand) pipe organ, which left the building long, long ago.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there a couple of times in the 70's. There was a really good pizza joint right nearby that I frequented as well.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal, Would the Pizza Joint be VO's ? god I miss their pizza

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wykkidx:

Viola! Yep. that's it - VO's Pizza.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this Irving related to Irving Plaza in NYC? Same chain or whatever?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.