Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Negative Approach « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably not a big deal to most people, but an early and influential hardcore punk band from Detroit, Negative Approach, is doing a reunion show, of sorts, on May 26 at St. Andrews Hall. Did anybody here see them 1980-1983?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did anybody here see them 1980-1983?

Yes.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NA and the Necros are some of the finest examples of Detroit hardcore, but for fuck's sake, NA playing in 2007. Are they serious?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southofeight: I guess you really *can't* tell no one what to do.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9437
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always suprised that Necros never made it bigger in the hardcore scene. I always enjoyed their music. These reunion tours though are getting lame.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat- Why do you find them lame? I'm just curious.
I've enjoyed the recent reunions of the Pixies and Dino Jr... never got to see the Pixies in their day.

The Misfits credit NA and the Necros for some of their success, saying nobody really "got it" until Detroit fell in love with 'em (thanks to NA/Necros). Too bad they never got to share that level of success.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may never have been that successful, but I think a couple of the Necros guys formed Big Chief, who at least had some measure of success for a while in the 90s.

Pam

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but I think a couple of the Necros guys formed Big Chief

Only Barry of the Necros was in Big Chief.

Southofeight

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Chief, now there's a band that flamed out in a fury. I dug those guys a lot, and still see Phil Durr (sp?) at some shows around town now and then. Anybody know what happened to Henssler, Mike Danner and the rest of those guys?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other Necros story would be Corey Rusk, who parlayed his place in the punk scene into Chicago's Touch & Go/Quarterstick record label.

Pam

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Big Chief, now there's a band that flamed out in a fury. I dug those guys a lot, and still see Phil Durr (sp?) at some shows around town now and then. Anybody know what happened to Henssler, Mike Danner and the rest of those guys?

You've seen Phil? I thought he left town years ago. I used to hang with these guys when they lived in Ann Arbor but lost touch. Last I heard Barry moved to Chicago. I saw Danner working at St. Andrews a couple years ago. Dancey lives in Detroit and does his art I believe. No idea what happened to Matt.

Beatsworking

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070525/ENT 04/705250387/1035/ENT

What a lame headline!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9443
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beatsworking. Reunion tours used to very rare and very select. Now anyone who had a band is planning reunion tours to cash in. Most of the time the tours are not very good. I have seen my fair share and the majority are not that great. The Pixies were a decent show but not fantastic. It seems that what made the bands great (the passion) is now gone.

Beatsworking

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about the passion... and certainly dislike the stupid reunions with 1 original band member. But... I also like to see bands like the Pixies get paid. I hate to see real, talented artists struggle when bands like Limp Bizkit are millionaires.

http://www.contactmusic.com/ne w/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/pixi es%20drummer%20hit%20rock%20bo ttom%20on%20reunion%20day

Southofeight

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Pam, it was definitely him. Still had the lit smoke in his mouth. It was at a Grande Nationals show at Woodward Avenue Brewers last summer. I didn't know the guy personally, met him on a couple of occasions though a guy I knew who I think roadied for them back in the Ann Arbor days, a tattooed fella named Buddha.

Big Chief was a band I really liked a lot. I don't hate the idea of reunion shows, but I do think a lot can be lost, skills-wise, when you play 20 years past your prime. I still might go though, to check it out and see if they can still hit it. People can have all of the White Stripes they want (which is a band I really like), but NA remains, to me, one of the best bands to come out of Detroit, ever.

I'm glad to see people still talking about them today, reunion show or not.

Pam

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah Pam, it was definitely him. Still had the lit smoke in his mouth.

Heh. I remember him once saying he was going to go buy smokes with his AMEX card. (Rumor was he was a "trust fund punk.")

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will not be sorry with the NA show, Brannon still has it. If you do not know he formed Laughing Hyenas and his latest band is Easy Action after NA split. Easy Action shows usually have a couple NA songs as an encore.

It will be fun seeing The Meatmen tomorrow too, even if it is just Tesco Vee and session players.

Barry form Big Chief is now a Jungle House DJ in Chicago.

Pam, did you know anyone from the Herb Tarlick's? If you do Email me.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, the Herb Tarlicks. I remember them. Hoo boy.

Pam

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, did you know anyone from the Herb Tarlick's? If you do Email me.

No, I don't think so. Never saw them play.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tarlick's hung at the BC house a lot. One of the guys went on to form Mouth, had a minor hit ages ago.

Pam

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Tarlick's hung at the BC house a lot

Maybe if I saw pics I could see if anyone looked familiar. If I see you at the picnic, I guess you can see if I look familiar. :-)

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw some of Negative Approach's set at the Touch & Go Anniversary party in Chicago last fall. it was pretty cool but i was distracted by the freakish presence of David Yow from Scratch Acid standing next to me. creeepy.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam are you going to the show tonight?

Pam

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam are you going to the show tonight?

No.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing it's going to be a bit embarrassing. A bunch of 45 year olds playing music made by 20 year olds. Don't do it John! You're ruining your legacy.

Ypsirocks
Username: Ypsirocks

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone I know who has seen them in Texas and elsewhere on this string of shows hasn't been disappointed. For those of you who are going, please post a review immediately.

Sadly, there are no California shows in the works and my already scheduled trip to Michigan isn't until June.

To wet your whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BRswJNBzb9k

Toolbox

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NA and The Meatmen were fantastic. The was a lot of pro video gear around, I am sure stuff is going to be on youtube already.

Tesco Vee was as offensive and crass as ever. The set was only 30 minutes long but packed with the good stuff.

NA did pretty much their entire catalog. Brannon can still scream with the best of them.

Ypsirocks
Username: Ypsirocks

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing on youtube yet. A couple of people have been posting old laughing hyenas footage which makes me even happier. rip larissa.

"you kids are outta site".

What covers did they do?

Toolbox

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borstal Breakout

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 953
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha. I'm surprised they didn't do early 4-skins. Brannon always wanted to be Hodges.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.