Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eastside neighborhood without a name « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citychick
Username: Citychick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone - I'm a former Detroiter doing a project on my old neighborhood. The area has never been given an official "name" by the city, but it is outside the Hamtramck border, between Mound Road and Mt. Elliot, south of 6 Mile (McNichols).
I'm looking for old photographs of the area, landmarks and such, (with owner permission and full credit to the owner)...places like Gamalski Hardware, Falcon Drugs, Genie's Weinies, White Elementary, Cleveland Middle School, Transfiguration, etc. If anyone knows or is from the area, it would be a big help.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family is from that neighborhood as well.

They never called it anything, but the Old Mill restaurant, which was on the corner of Carpenter and Conant, listed its location as Hamtramck Heights.

I always assumed that was tongue-in-cheek, though.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perch Dinners were to die for, too.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transfiguration does have a website that I will list below. It may not assist with your ultimate goal, but it is a possible start.

http://www.transfiguration-par ish.org/index.htm

Citychick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've actually been to the Transfiguration site, and an alumni site. I've also been to the site that features photos of some of the "ruins", like Gamalski Hardware.
Fish on Fridays at the Old Mill....I think there was a long wait...lol...but I remember them.

Dbc

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Old Mill brings back great memories. I was in college when they closed, but if memory serves me right, the menu was on the wall, no? Nevertheless, that place was packed-to-the gills (sorry, had to do it) on Fridays.

Also, their cole slaw was fantastic. We bought two huge containers of it for my backyard high school graduation party and showed my friends and neighbors in Canton a little Hamtramck Heights home-cookin'.

Citychick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dbc...you were from that area too? Can I ask what street you lived on?

Oh, and if there are any Genie's Weinies fans, they opened up their new location in Fraser...yummy!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 708
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citychick,

You may want to look at this website: http://www.cis.state.mi.us/pla tmaps/sr_subs.asp

It is the Statewide Search for Subdivision Plats in Michigan. It may take some hunting and time, but you may find what you are looking for.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Transfiguration is west of Mound Rd, it is not in the area in question. Yet, Paul Wrobel wrote his book, OUR WAY, 1977 describing a bit of the Polish American parish.

The area north of McNichols ( 6 Mile Rd) on Mt. Elliott was the old Village of Norris. The heart of it was Nevada and Mt. Elliott. Maps, etc are included in Don Binkowski,COL. P. W. NORRIS, YELLOWSTONE'S GREATEST SUPERINTENDENT (available at email: donb2007@mchsi.com).

Richard Gamalski died a while back after he moved the store to 12 Mile Rd in Warren.

Exactly what type of info are you looking for because neighborhoods generally developed around a church or some similar point of reference.

Citychick

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Concon - I'm basically looking for stories, old photos from people who used to live/visit the area, who remember some of the places I've mentioned, etc. I have found old pics of the area before it was fully developed, some featuring Gamalski Hardware from the early 40's, but they are only a slice of the store.
The main part of the area I'm inquiring about is so small, I've had to expand it the area West of Mound Road, where the schools and the parish were. I also forgot to mention the Buffalo St. Housing project - have some pictures of the projects in the early 50's. My father and his family grew up in those projects.
Quozl: thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out.

Citychick

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UNBELIEVABLE! I found it on my third try! It was known as the Eaton Land Company Sub.

Dbc

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citychick,

My Dad grew up on Gallagher just north of Lawley. Second house on the right (looking north) from Lawley. I was raised in Canton, and my grandparents moved out of the house in 1990.

I also had some cousins that lived just a few blocks away on Meade.

I'm very familiar with the neighborhood because I spent a lot of time there as a kid, and have nothing but great memories of the area. My family attended the recently-closed Our Lady Help of Christians on McDougall, and I remember their Apple Festival well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.