Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mitch Albom Sucks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but this guy really blows.

Let me paraphrase an Album entry.....

"little quip"

Blah blah blah blah blah

"little quip" Part 2

blah blah blah blah blah

"little quip" repeated again part 3.

blah blah blah, some stuff that never happenend (like him saying X and Y were at the Pistons game when they never were)

And finally the grand finale.... "little quip" #4.

This guy is about as original as my morning brown. Its the same every time. And the fact he tried to pawn off an article that was false, like he had been there when he wasn't, and nobody really seemed to care makes it even worse.

I don't care about Tuesday's with Morrie and the Five People You Meet In Heaven, Mitch Albom is a phoney, and he seriously blows.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 890
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would agree. I am no fan of him and Drew Sharp thats why I get my sports news elsewhere.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, didnt your mother tell you not to pick on scabs?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what...the dude is not a good writer...however, he is competent. He writes about sports…as far as his books are concerned…Uhhhhhh, look at the audience. Is Tuesdays with Morey written brilliantly no…It’s the story/reality of it that makes it seem readable. All he did was tell the story….It’s abundantly clear that Album is not a gifted writer…he simply tells stories. In terms of being a writer he is Flip Murray and/or Nefi Perez.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No....Rob Parker sucks.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9263
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81,

If your morning browns are all the same, you don't have enough variety in your diet.

Mitch has been on this game for a long while now...it is only natural that his delivery would get stale. His celebrity has increased...so jealousy against him abounds, and he gets passes on many of his trespasses.

Oh well. Sucks to be the easiest target in the arena after the teams leave.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's fine by me. Sure portions of his stuff are ridiculous, but overall its well done.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about old news.

Aren't these complaints kind of dated?

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into Morris Peterson and Mateen Cleves at the game last night and they said the same thing.....no wait I made that up, my bad!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albom hasn't had anything interesting to say in at least 15 years. A sports columnist who doesn't follow sports? Brilliant!

To continue the piling on, his radio show is downright unlistenable.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly, Oakland University's Communications Department no longer allows their students to intern at Albom's radio show because of the "abuse" that prior students have suffered. Apparently Mitch likes to scream and throw things when he gets mad.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Albom has an ego as big as all outdoors. I just don't like such folks. That aside, he writes well, but I don't read him any more after his fellow Freep employees blasted him a year ago or so.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9267
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't be surprised about that intern abuse.

I've heard the story a dozen times from my friend Duffy King...who plays guitar in the Bugs Beddow band...of how Bugs got under Mitch's skin. It never gets old. Of course, Bugs is one of the most entertainingly confrontational people I've ever seen in action...but I digress.

Apparently there have been years of brewing bad blood between the Bugs and Mitch, tempered by professional courtesy and perhaps the fact that most times they worked together were on the flipside from last call.

One morning they were to play on the show when Mitch laid down some very specific rules. When On Air, it was HIS show, he ran the gig and directed when anyone could make a sound.

During a commercial break, Mitch took a telephone call, during which something possessed Bugs to clean out his horn in Mitch's general direction. Mitch completely lost his mind. When the expected bitch session commenced, Bugs had his loophole. "They weren't On Air" at the time.

I don't think they've been on the show since.

Mitch apparently can be a little Napoleonic occasionally...I've never liked all those basic extreme flavors mixed.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had hair like that I would be self-conscious and Napoleonic too.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd really like to see the top of Mitch's ears sometime...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Album's writing is definitely insipid and trite. That's the worst of his offenses. He's simply a bad writer. But the fact that he's a liar and an egomaniac on top of that, just makes him a lousy excuse for a man.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can talk about his ego (HUGE) and definitely criticize him for his "scabbiness", but one thing you can't deny is that Albom is one hell of a writer.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FICTION WRITER.....

Ffdfd

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

one thing you can't deny is that Albom is one hell of a writer.

I can and will vigorously deny that he is a good writer.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch Albom is a writer in the same sense that a mudpie is a confection.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's decent writer for what he does. He comes up with the occasional nice turn of phrase. His stuff is, on the whole, readable. Hemingway he ain't, but he tells the story.
I recall a jazz-related entry years ago which I found compelling.

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand how the freep likes to plug him in wherever in the Sunday paper, and all his columns seem to be the same, whether they are sports, editorial, local, etc.

Way too emotional for a sportswriter. What do you think I'm supposed to be crying or feel touched after reading your column? No it just makes you sound like a momma's boy.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh spare me all of you.Whether you or I like his writing does not mean anything.He is an accomplished writer.

Gannon, I did his show a couple times. The 1st time he was a bit "animated" but that was directed at Rachel and the comedian (name escapes me) who both should be thanking him to the ends of heaven as neither of them had any business being on the radio let alone a venerable staion like wjr.The 2nd time he was very nice.

It is his show so any problem anyone has wiith him is pointless _ IT'S HIS GIG!!1

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch Albom sucks, this is not news. Mitch will continue to suck on our local printed page and on the airways because we are so desperate for celebrity in this poor city, any scabby hack will do.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I guess he's accomplished. He's got the best sellers and columnist awards, no doubt. Obviously, some people like him.

But to me, he like Eddie Murphy. He was a unique voice in his early days, became isolated, then remained commercially successful but not relevant. Mitch can hang out with real sportswriters on ESPN, he can hang out with real writers in that rock band, and he can hang out with real schlock-meiters on Oprah, but he is a fraud.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Oldredfordette....Was/is Susan Whitall a scab/hack as well? She bugs me almost as much as Mitch Pabulum....ooohhh, I worked for Lester Bangs.....yadda yadda yadda....get over it already. You had your revival with Almost Famous. Let's get some new journalism blood in the music sections of our local papers (same goes for you, Gary Graff)....and by new blood I don't mean the remaining members of Broadzilla and Crud.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he is a prime example of the Peter Principle at work. He is stretched too thin with all the things he does at once.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't particularly like Mitch Albom. I also don't like it when a writer constantly makes a paragraph out of single, short sentences.
Like this.
He wears it out.
However, even while I don't think he's some God among normal writers, I think it is absurd to state that he is a lousy writer. That comment makes the commentor appear to be foolish.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrulz, you should at least know something about people you so flippantly trash on this forum...Susan Whitall is a Union Steward and bagged groceries rather than cross the picket line during the newspaper strike. She's also a damn good writer with a hell of a lot of knowledge about Detroit music.
Trashing her writing is one thing, but attacking her is pretty shitty - especially as you don't know the facts.

(Message edited by jimg on May 23, 2007)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting that Detroitrulz would ask ORF if Susan is a scab.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5176
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to journalistic integrity?

I fault the Freep as much as I fault Mitch when he did that bogus story with Mateen Cleaves & Morris Peterson. If it was anyone else other than the Freep's perceived golden child, they would've been broomed out of town.

I was never a huge fan of his writing style and I was even more turned off when he blatantly fabricated a story like that just to meet a deadline.

Lost of respect to the profession.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly I think he has always sucked. He kind of annoys me with his goody goodiness, which somehow seems fake.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does he remind you of the class snitch in elementary school? Wonder if he was?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan Whitall is no scab, but a proud and tough union member. She stayed out until she was called back, and supported her union brothers and sisters till the lockout was over. Now she works to ensure the News remains a union shop.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mitch Albom Sucks"

DUH!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I thought all of the libs loved him. You learn something new every day. I think he sucks too. He is condescending prick and egomaniac. His sidekick, Kenny, although he sounds like a nice guy, is an idiot.

It seems I remember that he had some other moron that would call in and he would actually do the show over the phone. That was really lame too. The worst part of all of course is his show pre-empts the last hour of Sean Hannity!

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on May 23, 2007)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11583
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry people, but come on, he's writing about sports. Sports are games, games are what children play. His readers, including all of you, are mostly grown ups who lack the skills to play games for a pay check to make a living.

I would argue that all of you people take sports WAY too seriously. It's nothing more than entertainment, something that some of us enjoy more than others. I love following local Detroit sports, but aside from that, I couldn't tell you squat about any other team in any of the major sports out there. While some may mock this fact, I simply laugh to myself, as I honestly have never understood those so obsessed with sports. My line of thought is simply "root for the home team," and that's about the extent of it. When Detroit teams are out of playoff contention, I seldom watch the championship games...except for the Super Bowl, which I watch for the commercials and wardrobe malfunctions.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super-
It isn't the sports writing that makes it bad. Who are those other dudes? Terry Foster? Tom Wojonishdisdnfkski? All them seem to be decent to read.

Mitch's articles are bad no matter if it is sports or not. They're just incredibly predictable and boring to read. Then add to it that he made up a story puts him down a few (hundred) pegs. And on top of that, nobody seemed to even care or do anything about it! Journalistic integrity is probably the biggest golden rule in the biz, and he violated it without any consequences.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5178
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, I understand he mainly writes about sports and such but even as a writer- he's still a journalist. He's supposed to document the truth out there- even if he puts an editorial spin to it, it still has to have some measure of truth to it. When he totally fabricated that story is when he lost his integrity with me. It had nothing to do with his subject matter- it had to do with him shirking what some could be considered sacred- losing the audience's trust.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5179
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch should've been canned from the Freep and became a fiction writer. At least in that realm, I could respect him somewhat.

And the Freep's backing of him makes me question their integrity as well.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, you seem to be arguing that there do not need to be standards of excellence in areas that you do not have much interest in or knowledge of.

Frankly, Mitch fancies himself more than a sportswriter, and writing about sports is only a part of his "creative" output. Slate magazine nailed it in this article last fall.
quote:

Mitch Albom is a fabulist all right, but not just in the journalistic sense. Albom is literally a teller of fables, a peddler of shallow morality tales for the masses. You can see it in his risible sports writing, and you can see it in his best-selling books. A representative of Starbucks, which will sell For One More Day as part of its new books promotion, told the Los Angeles Times that the chain wanted its literary selections to be "deeply felt." Albom's writing is deeply felt, and dimly thought. He's a huckster evangelist for the soccer-mom set.

http://www.slate.com/id/215053 5/fr/rss/

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think his radio show is a breath of fresh air on WJR.

Too bad they cut him down to two hours for not towing the right wing line of the station.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.