Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » FBI gets contractor for its new corktown field office « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/fbibuilding9507.a spx

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So underwhelming. Architecture so bad it has to be protected from public assault?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apart from the grass surrounding the building it looks like One Kennedy Square. People on this site will bitch and moan if the government or other private or public groups develop inside or outside of Detroit. If they build inside the city then it's in the wrong place and it's ugly. If it's outside the city then they are abandoning the city. I'm sure the F.B.I. is not that concerned with the architectural significance of their building as long as it serves it's purpose. I stand by my opinion that development is development and it is GREAT for the city.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So underwhelming. Architecture so bad it has to be protected from public assault?

What do you want for $99,871,024

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't that bad! Plus I am sure it has to be designed for protection versus beauty.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, this article has no new news in it, whatsoever. It's a reposting of the data in the Freep and DetNews blurbs. So, what this is going to turn out to be is a replica of the discussion already had on this subject.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$99,871,024 is such a funny estimate.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100 million for this sort of product is just sad.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not generally the kind of person that thinks "any development is better than no development", but I'm curious why people think this development is worse than the current pair of empty buildings that sit on that site?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The development is good because it is basically the FBI expanding in the City. No doubt that's good. The question is how they use the space they acquire. You could even ask why they can't just move into the existing high-rise, which has been used for government purposes before (right?)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5542
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, and all the rest, see the debate that happened on the other thread.

Link to FBI Building Discussion

Again, this is a complete repeat of another thread.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 21, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never could understand why the FBI could not have built something close to or even connected to the McNamara Building. There's a whole stretch of gravel parking lot along Michigan that could have probably given them the same square footage that this chosen site is giving them. Even with a set-back there could have been room.

Also, why close off Sixth Street? A compromise could have been to reroute Sixth along the Lodge Freeway. That street has been the main north-south route to get to Michigan from Fort for years. Too bad this had to happen.

Finally, all that grassy land in the rendering is just a waste of space. For something in Downtown Detroit that has that much green space and is not a park is a waste of space.

BTW, if that's Tiger Stadium in the background, then the rendering is showing an open Sixth Street, or is that apparent street supposed to be the south bound Lodge?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, this article has no new news in it, whatsoever. It's a reposting of the data in the Freep and DetNews blurbs.

This article contains information that I have not seen in the News or the Free Press. For example, the daily papers did not mention that Brooklyn may reopen or that parking will be preserved along Porter. These are important issues for neighborhood residents, Eph McNally's and Most Holy Trinity Church. It's obvious that the Model D reporter understands these issues while the News and Freep scribblers are clueless.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, why close off Sixth Street? A compromise could have been to reroute Sixth along the Lodge Freeway. That street has been the main north-south route to get to Michigan from Fort for years. Too bad this had to happen.

Right on Royce. I don't know how the folks who live on Sixth will ever get along without the rumble of the Nemo bus parade 128 days a year.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least Eph's will make a killing feeding the construction crew. Someone should try and reopen Porter St. Station right quick. Those dudes are going to be thirsty, too.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Porter St. station got nailed for serving after hours.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.