Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Downtown Restaurant Suggestions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I will be staying overnight in Detroit Thursday, sort of tagging along with a friend on a business trip. I am definitely planning on dinner downtown and would appreciate some suggestions on places to eat. Something that's classic Detroit. Also, I'm trying to plan something to do at night and would like some suggestions. I am really big into Detroit history. So, something we could do that would incorporate seeing and enjoying some of Detroit's history would be awesome.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5054
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Start at the beginning, Roma's in Eastern Market arguably the oldest restaurant in Detroit.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're downtown and are on foot, I'd suggest Mosaic in Greektown. Roma's is great, but not quite as walkable.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5055
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Mosaic as well.

I've tried the search function to find the numerous threads on this subject with no luck, sorry.

Oh hell, I just noticed you'll be in town Thursday, join up with us at the Well for the FSC, no food there but you can order to-go next door at Ted's (AKA Baltimore Lunch) and bring it over or just stick with liquid carbs.

Just look for a group of people who never seem to stop talking and join in, we always appreciate a new face.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/10041.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy John's.

Just kidding.

A place like Roma, or several other places in E. Market, would show off a lot of Detroit history, but unless you want a 15 minute walk or 5 minute drive, these aren't in your downtown range. The walk is very do-able and safe if you're up for it.

A walk up Woodward to Da Edoardo Foxtown Grille clearly shows off Detroit's historic Merchant's Row.

The restaurants in Harmonie Park and Greektown are all good choices and in historic areas.

Finally, what could be better than something like Sweetwater Tavern or Jacoby's on Brush in Bricktown? Both are historic venues. I think the food at Sweetwater is amazing.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whitney did some great renovation. You dont get more history that that place.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rattle Snake Club? Caucus Club?

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So much to choose from. I appreciate it. Jams we may see you down at the Well!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're staying in the central business district, stay to places within walking distance. Some CBD suggestions include:

Jacoby's: German bar with german food and brews. Great atmosphere and lots of history dating back to the dawn of the 20th Century.
www.metrotimes.com/metropolis/ restaurants/place.asp?id=1718

Sweetwater: Great BBQ and the best wings in the city. www.metrotimes.com/metropolis/ restaurants/place.asp?id=5442

Sweet Lorrianes: Great, eclectic menu and not too pricey. www.sweetlorraines.com/Detroit .html

Cheli's Chili: The Pistons will be playing Thursday and this would be a great sports bar to watch it from. Although this place tends to become Taylortucky nation on busy home game nights, it has solid food and is an overall great place. www.chelischili.com/detroit/ho me.html

Pegus and just about any place in Greektown: You can't go wrong here. Great food and great vibe. www.pegasustaverna.com

Park Bar/Cliff Bells: Cliff Bells is a beautifully restored old speakeasy that features quality jazz acts. The Park Bar, adjacent to it, is a lot like a loft with friendly staff and owner (Jerry is a great guy) and awesome food. The shawarma is awesome. www.cliffbells.com and www.modeldmedia.com/features/B elanger81.aspx

American and Lafayette coney islands: This is the best place to go to finish off a night. These two coney islands are world famous. www.americanconeyisland.com/hi story.htm

There are plenty of other places that would probably work out well for you within walking distance. If you are feeling adventurous and want to drive outside of the CBD, try Slows, Dakota Inn, Mexicantown, Hamtramck or Cedarland in east Dearborn on Warren Avenue. Best of luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.