Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jupiter Restaurant - 8 Mile and Kelly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Restaurant on the South side of 8 Mile Road just East of Kelly? It was a round building and I could swear that the name of it was Jupiter.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't that place it on the Eastland property? I don't remember any such building in the area. How long ago was it there?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember a drive-in type of restaurant on that corner in the 60s. I believe it was round thus it could have had a planet name (sorry, not sure if it was Jupiter). Across the street on the southeast side was the Michigan bank (built in the mid 60s. Kiddy corner one the north-west side in East Detroit was Biff's restaurant and I believe there was another bank on the northwest corner). On a similar note does anyone remember the farmhouse on Vernier (8 Mi) that was surrounded by Eastland parking lot. The guy who sold his property for Eastland had an agreement that he could remain there till his death.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Dunkenburgers? It was on the south side of 8 Mile, west of Kelly. It was open in the early sixties.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4358
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see from my earliest 1960's recollections...

SE corner a gas station with a 6 story Eastland Professional Office Building behind it.

SW corner a non-descript bank

NE corner a round cool looking "Jetson's" cartoon-like bank building (is this the building?)

NW corner... can't remember.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A gas station replaced a restaurant on the southeast corner (maybe jupiter). Michigan bank on the southwest corner. Dukenburgers was just west of the Michigan bank. Didn't Duckenburgers later become Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips?Yes, there was a "jetson's like domed bank on the northeast corner. Northwest had Biff's restaurant. Still can't remember the name of that restaurant on the southeast corner. I'll ask around and get back.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't around back then (A little before my time), But I did ask my mom once why most of the streets in Detroit at that corner were one way, going towards Kelly.

She told me there used to be restaurant there and there was a lot of cruising cars that would cut through the neighborhood, so the residents petitioned and had most of the streets turned into one way streets to stop the traffic.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the place that has the giant beams in the shape of an X on the roof? I often wondered what it used to be that required such huge beams on the roof. Does anyone know the place? I think it is or was a pizza place on the south west corner of 8 and Kelly.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm here

I believe the restaurant your mom mentioned was on the Detroit (southwest side) and was either the Duckenburgers or Arthur Treachers not the restaurant (name still unknown) in Harper Woods on the south east corner. I do remember when streets like Carlyle(sp?), Collingham became one way probably due to, as you mentioned, the cruising traffic caused by the local businesses.

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building on the southwest corner of 8 Mile & Kelly, with the "X" shaped beams on the roof WAS Arthur Treacher's later Seafood Bay. I worked for them from 1985 til their closing in 1996. A friend of mine who has been around the East side of Detroit for quite sometime told me this same building was the "Jupiter" restaurant as well as DunkinBurger and then Arthur Treacher's. The building now is a Used Car Lot.

(Message edited by TheDeadOfNight on May 25, 2007)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Debw858 original question...What was the name of the restaurant on the southWEST corner (the Harperwoods/Eastland side)? I believe it was replace with a gas station (maybe TOTAL) in the 70s.

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad -
My mistake - the restaurant that I am thinking about was on the southwest corner of 8 Mile and Kelly not the southeast. Sorry. I do not remember the name of the restaurant on the southwest corner. The only recollection I have on that corner was the 6 story Professional Building. I do however remember the restaurant on Kelly road between 8 and 9 Mile Road called Deacon Jones. We would always go there on Sundays after church.

Faircoma
Username: Faircoma

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jupiter's was the name of the burger drive-in on Gratiot between Eight and Nine Mile... East Detroit tough dudes hung out there- black leather, chains on wallets, girls with ratted up hair....all wearing black, of course....back in the day they used to hang out in the parking lot. it was THE place to drive thru the lot, although I remember a sign saying that you weren't supposed to just 'drive-thru'..sort of like DunkinBurgers ( Dunks) that was on the corner of Kelly and 8 mile....kiddy-corner to Dunks was that rounded off bank, so Jupiters wasn't on that corner.....

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Jupiter's on Gratiot between 8 & 9 too. When it first opened, it was a rename of a drive-in on Harper between 7 & 8 that was torn down when I94 came through. There were two adjacent drive-ins on that stretch named Rainbow Drive-In and Cozy Corner. My parents had a hardware store on Mack near 7 and we ate at one of those restaurants every night for a while because my parents had the store open late and my mom couldn't cook dinner. I remember my mom telling me that the car hops at the restaurant were probably asking each other "My God, can't that woman cook?" Anyway, when the expressway came through, Cozy Corner became Jupiter out on Gratiot. At first, it even had a sign attached to their main sign that said "Formerly Cozy Corner."

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I well remember going out to dinner at, was it Don's Chuck Wagon Restaurant at 8 mile and Kelly. Mid 1960's - '70's sometime. There was a cartoon-ish cowboy with a metal triangle on the signage? And a chuck wagon cart inside?

It was Kelly Road and not Gratiot, wasn't it? Does anyone else remember that place? I will always think that they had the best french fried onion rings ever!

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don's Chuck Wagon was on Gratiot just north of 8 Mile, on the right hand side. Directly across the street from Knapp Shoes.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! Thanks, Gtat!

Gistok

Post Number: 4413
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Kville, I'm a little mixed up about that drive-in between Moross & Vernier on Harper. I assume you are talking about a drive-in restaurant, and not a drive-in theatre, right?

Because along that stretch of Harper was the EASTSIDE DRIVE-IN THEATRE, which existed long after I-94 opened. Only in the late 70's or early 80's did it close to make way for a park and a Harper Woods seniors high rise.

Just checking! :-)

Kville

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, the drive-ins I mentioned on Harper were on the "west" (officially north) side of the street across the street from the old East Side Drive-In theater. The businesses on the current "east" (south) side of Harper remained intact, but the ones on the other side came down. The two that I mentioned were pretty small, but Cozy Corner did have inside seating. Both highlighted their "foot-long hot dogs," except that Rainbow's sign had "almost a" in very small print before the words "foot long." (Truth in advertising, eh?)

Gistok

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, thanks for the info! By the way (from another old thread on old bus routes)... past Morang what is today Harper Ave., was know as Mt. Clemens Ave. Harper original continued east where Chester Ave. today is.

It seems that when I-94 was built, they eliminated the name Mt. Clemens Ave., calling it Harper Ave., and what was part of old Harper Ave. became Chester Ave.

I had always wondered why the old Harper bus, and the Cadillac Express bus that followed along much of Harper, both routed onto Chester east of Morang, instead of following Harper Ave. along the freeway. That old thread (which had a pic of an old map) explained why!

Kville

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious Gistok - on that bus route map with Harper being where Chester is today, what happened to Harper when it got to Moross? Even though they intersect, by the time Chester reaches Moross, it is about 3 blocks from where Harper is today. Did Harper end? Was Mt. Clemens Av. the name of the street all the way out to Mt. Clemens the way Harper is today?

Gistok

Post Number: 4453
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, the map I saw only went to about 8 Mile, so I cannot exactly answer that with 100% accuracy. But if it was called Mt. Clemens Ave. until then, I bet that it was called that way all the way northwards thru SCS and beyond (to where ever Harper ends).

What would answer your question would be an old 50's map of SCS or whatever the name of the predecessor township was (Erin?) before 1950.

I do believe that Harper ended somewhere in Harper Woods, since Chester ends near Kingsville (2 blocks east of Moross), and then continues on again a block or two later as a non-descript side street for several more blocks.

Kville

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok. When I get up to Detroit later this month, I think I'll ask my dad - he remembers a lot of things like that. In fact, I wouldn't put it past him to even have a map from that era - he's a saver.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.