Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Classic Traffic Signal of the Week (5-20-07) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took this picture last year before these signals at Jefferson and Chene were replaced. This is an Eagle Signal from the 1950s. Both of these signals are constructed from 3 individual castings that are held together with endplates and tierods. The reflectors inside are made from glass as well as the lenses. Towards the end of this signal's lifespan, it became difficult to see its indications against the downtown backdrop - it was recently replaced with modern LED units with larger lenses.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes. I worked out of the Chene street garage of the C of D for six years. 2650 E. Jefferson. The building was torn down about 1985, and a brick from the place sits in my back yard. I probably looked at that signal light every working day for over six years.

Looked okay to me. :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5333
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all bricks in Detroit stay in Detroit, eh.
Some of the bricks moved to Nevada. Hey, jjaba had a bunch of Studebaker bricks after their fire.
jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.