Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Book-Cadillac Construction Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stephenvb
Username: Stephenvb

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the opportunity to tour the construction site last week and snapped a few photos. It was dark, and I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm sure quite a few of you will appreciate just how much has changed on the inside of the building.

The scope of this renovation is humbling.

Visit Critical Detroit to view the photos.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! It's always great to see stuff as it is happening. I loved that piece of the cornice work in the 11th photo. Also FYI the 19th photo's description says "Times Square" but it is actually Capitol Park that you are looking at...

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that was completely gutted....nothing was left it seems.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they recreating the interior?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have seen and remember, they are trying to recreate the interior.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

atleast if their goin to do it... they might as well do it right...

nobody is goin to care if its new or old plaster.. as long as it looks the same... Personally im not a fan of black mold...

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to see the Italian Garden with my very own eyes.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This renovation is truly inspiring.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to remember to tag it in a photo as the "World's Largest Restoration Project"

Stephenvb

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the incorrect reference to Times Square. It's been fixed.

This project really is inspiring. I never walked through before the renovation, but walking through now, you'll notice several hundred steel plates on each floor. The steel contractors spent the first several months putting plates down (and anchoring them) over all the holes in the floor. When you think about the logistics for completing just this task on all 28 floors, you get a sense for the enormous hurdles in dealing with this project.

I personally applaud the developers dedication and especially all the contractor's efforts in seeing this project through after seeing what I saw last week.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 977
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to nit-pick, but if it's easy to make a change, "View up Griswold" should actually be "View up State".

Thanks for sharing.

Stephenvb

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. Thanks for pointing out my errors. I'd rather have the information correct.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the sub-basements were under water at one time...so much rust. Are they going to re-do the basement and sub-basements? It'd be nice to clean the walls and spray paint a couple of coats of white paint down there.

Stephenvb

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the guys I was with had been in the building earlier (under auspicious terms) and said that the entire sub basement 2 was under water. He could see the equipment, which looked like shipwrecks, under water.

While we were there, demolition crews were torching one of the units. I presume they all will be removed.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 982
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986 wrote, "wow, that was completely gutted....nothing was left it seems."

Some significant stuff (parts of original decorative ceilings, hunks of detailed walls) were actually left, but was all removed during the renovation. It was too damaged to repair, or too expensive.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. I should have said, "Some significant stuff...WAS actually left." Considering that I've corrected other forum members on their grammar, I have to be careful to apply the same standards to myself!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These were some excellent photos. The images of the mechanical room are shocking. Renovating that, I'd have no clue where to start.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4347
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Italian Garden and Grand Ballroom will be restored to some semblence of their 1924 interior. The main lobby will probably have some 1924 restorations, such as hopefully the ornate plaster ceiling that survived to this day above the drop ceilings of the 1950's renovations.

Other public spaces, such as the opulent Venetian Dining Room (modernized in late 1930's) will probably not be restored to their original appearance. But we'll wait and see...

But a lot of ornate plasterwork will be included in the restorations of the public spaces.

There are several companies around the country (such as Conrad Schimitt Studios) that specialize in ornate theatre and church restorations, that can recreate these spaces.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible pictures. As one of the naysayers when the project was first announced, my size 11.5 foot is firmly entrenched in my mouth. Seriously, thank you for the updates. As a former Detroiter who still takes great pride in the city I grew up in, I am in awe of this project and can't wait for other companies to start following suit.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the Italian Garden will not have the cool glass ceiling with lights that changed with time of day.

Stephenvb

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also got my hands on a 20 minute video from a 2002 contractor walk-thru. This video is incredible as it shows the pre-renovation condition (in 2002).

Does anybody have any tips for converting a Windows Media (.wmv) file into flash video (.flv) on a Mac?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome pics, fellah, I would like to see a beginning to end documentary on such an overwhelming project.Is something like that being done? Would have been a good idea for the discovery channel.

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would help you view a .wmv on a Mac, but I'm not sure if it can create a .flv.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/o therproducts/otherproducts.asp x?pid=windowsmedia

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing man, good stuff.

A couple observations:
in picture 28 of the Italian Garden, the original floor seems to still be intact. I would assume it's beyond reuse, but able to be replicated?

in picture 14 of new utilities rough-in, I'm a little surprised they're using PVC stacks rather than cast-iron. It was my understanding that multi-story commercial work will not allow PVC (for off-gasing in fire conditions), and for sound sake I wouldn't think you would want to use it.

POST-EDIT:
OK, I went back and looked at pic 14 again, there are indeed parallel vertical cast iron stacks adjacent to the PVC, I believe the PVC are only being utilized as vent stacks, so the sound issue stated earlier is moot. The off-gasing in fire however...

(Message edited by rrl on May 21, 2007)

Stephenvb

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't see the water lines well enough in the pictures, but it was all push-together (victaulic-type) pressure connections that have to be crimped to complete the joint.

It was exquisite. As an architect, I would consider leaving it exposed, it looked that nice. Well, maybe not the hot water...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.