Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rare Detroit TV clips « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were a kid in 1963 you will enjoy this.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ Command_Performance_For_Nancy. htm

If you were around in 1947 you will enjoy this.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ wwj.htm

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5042
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ed_golick
I love your clips, brings back so many memories of sitting in front of that old B&W TV.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Time Tunnel" Ed, you're the man!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all that Ed. It was a real trip back in time. I was just 8 years old in '63. Fine job on the linkage too!

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed for the verification of an earlier post of mine about the WWJ (WWDT) broadcast from the old convention hall. Another thought, was the number of kids, and sometimes parents, watching TV shows with their noses plastered against a local TV store window, I know I did it.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the Studio to Transmitter Link parabolic dish antenna from WXYZ that came off Broadcast House.

A 4 footer with "ABC" and "WXYZ" on it. 7 Ghz. (had the 7Ghz transmitter too).

What a souvenir! That dish carried Soupy Sales to our homes, the Kennedy assassination, and so much more. Trashed it a few years back. Wished I'd didn't.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories. The first time I saw TV I was 11 years old, and the TV was in a store window on Grand River up around Schaefer somewhere. I still remember that a Felix the Cat cartoon was being broadcast, and I stood at that store window in amazement. It would have been the fall of 1947. The next year Dad brought home our own RCA 8-inch TV set, and the rest just fell into place.

Did I miss TV in my first 11 years? Hell, no. Radio drama and comedy was absolutely great. And I grew up being a news junkie, thanks to WW II taking place during my formative years.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ed. The DFM and the Artie Fields Orchestra was a quality touch. Great to see those old kiddie entertainers,who often "worked blue" in nightclubs during the same time period.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, OUCH.. I think those item came off the WXYZ live truck,, Chuck Phris is restoring the old WXYZ truck out in Ca.
http://www.pharis-video.com/p5 066.htm
He is looking for anything that might be from that truck,, old photo too.

Ed. FANTASTIC find! I see that was on 3/4, I guess someone had the foresight to xfer it while they still had machines for Lo Band B&W.
I am working on making my machine play LB Mono.
I have found some tapes that I think may be really important.

(Message edited by PSIP on May 20, 2007)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, maybe so. RCA 100mw Klystron on the back.
Those dishes were also the ones they had on a tripod on the roof of the mobile unit.

Maybe.

Psip

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Larry, those sound like the portable version. Since they had the call letters on it.
Too bad their gone. :-(

Ed, any idea what station broadcast or produced that program?

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like this one, actually.
The one roasting this hapless camera operator.
Wonder if he ever had any kids?

Psip

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are pretty safe around 7 gig, even the 2 gig live trucks are safe.. Microwave ovens are in a very narrow band of of 2.45 gig. For some reason, only that frequency seems to make things warm.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the United Foundation organization morphed into the United Way of today? I remember as a kid that UF letters with the torch but I didn't know what it stood for.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100mw + 20 db dish = 10 watts ERP. Not bad.

or maybe they were 30 db, thats 100w! lol.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 20, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,
Chuck Pharis is restoring his truck to the way it looked when WXYZ owned it. I supplied him with a vintage photo of the truck so he could recreate the WXYZ logo and paint job.

56packman

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tres cool

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed,
Thanks so much for that. I have sent out the alert to my Detroit friends for their amusement.
Of course Milky was a magic master, but I'd forgotten how really good he was, or maybe just couldn't appreciate it as a kid.
The Milky vid came through, but I couldn't get a picture with Sagebrush Shorty.
God, did I really just write "Sagebrush Shorty?"
Regards,
Koko

Ed_golick

Post Number: 632
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paintnprint,
I just checked the Shorty link on three different computers, and it worked.

Detroit really did have the best TV kid entertainers in the country.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clips worked well for me, Great clips !
Ed,
What can you dig up on OOPSY THE CLOWN, I've seen the one where he is on the back of a truck, anything else floating around?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 633
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
Click on the Oopsy banner on my site for an Oopsy clip. I'll have a nice Bob "Oopsy" McNea story on my website this summer.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed,
I'm on a Mac using system 9.2. Tried again, but no dice.
I need my Sagebrush Shorty fix.
Regards.
Koko
P.S. Is Sid Noel still alive?
"Morgus," to the uninformed.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about someone finding the Joshua Doore commercial? It's not on YouTube and I would LOVE to see that one again.

All together now,

"You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Doore. Joshua Doore..."

Psip

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When were the Joshua Doore commercials run? Was it in late 60s early 70s?

56packman

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1970-'71

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The one roasting this hapless camera operator. Wonder if he ever had any kids?

I heard he had one son...KARL.

Psip

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will keep my eyes open. You never know

Have you seen the Towne Club spot?
http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-5940705254603159897

Englander Triange
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8639373453682815847

(Message edited by PSIP on May 21, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paintnprint,
Sid Noel is still around. As of a year ago he was still doing a version of Morgus Presents in New Orleans.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i loved Bozo,,,,,,,,made kindergarten so much more fun

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Ed could find the VTR tape of the kid flipping Bozo the bird and telling him off, we'd have a true classic.

Not that it was nice. But it made good TV. =)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lar,
Urban legend. It never happened.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awww

BTW, For 40 years, I have been waiting to hear and see the Matinee Chimps do the "Red Rose Tea" spot.
For years, like yourself, I have searched the internets and came up with naught.

My mother would have to physically restrain me when it came on.

And now, in front of this computer screen, I am 5 again. hehe.

Bless You, Ed!

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 21, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry,
You made my day.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds a lot like "Salt Peanuts" by Charlie Parker too!

I didn't know that in '63 =)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey how does Psip know those were 3/4" dubs? The head-switching tear at the bottom?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't be 3/4 dubs. The original kinescope was filmed in 1963 from WWJ's 2" Quad tape. The transfer from 16mm to VHS was done a couple of years ago.

Psip

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, the switching noise. sure looks like umatic to me. I did't think of VHS, could be.

Wait a min. If they were made in 1963, it was recored on 2 inch. 2 inch Lo Band Monochrome to be exact. If those were VHS tapes you got, they most certainly came from either the 2 inch master or a 3/4 dub. I really doubt a kinescope was ever made. It was to late in the game. Kinescope died when video recording was introduced. Plus, I don't see any evidence of film artifacts.

Ed I am not calling you a liar, I am just surprised that kinescope was used in that time frame. If you had them transfered, you would know the source.

Side note, I am building a set of boards to play LB Mono on my machine. I will still have High Band ability also.

(Message edited by PSIP on May 21, 2007)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had an RCA TR-4 Hi-Band from the Archdiocese of Miami for a few years.
It too is at the briny depths now. =(

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 21, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, do you have anything left?

I have an Ampex AVR 2, and am looking for either a AVR 1 or AVR 3. All of them are sweet machines. Mine was built in 1976 and is in perfect condition. I can turn it on right now, and it will make perfect pictures. Head rebuilds are a little steep though, $2,500.00 if everything is OK. more if parts are needed.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it was one of those, " I have to move and this will have to stay" things, sadly. Was awhile back. 80's

Ed_golick

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,
In 1963, WWJ had a 16mm kinescope made of the special as a gift to Nancy Dykstra, the little girl in the film. A couple of years ago Nancy had a VHS transfer done directly from the 16mm film. Nancy tells me that the print sat unprojected for more than forty years, until she had it transfered to VHS. It's true, cross my heart.

Psip

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! in that case its proven. Whoever did that did an excellent job. Must have used a Rank or something of that quality. To bad she didn't get a Beta SP or at least a 3/4 with better quality.
On the other hand, if the film is still available, I would be happy to make a digital version.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kine probably didnt have much more than 200 lines of res so I doubt much isn't there on the dub.=)

oops, maybe not. that's "off air" b&w from a transmitter. In-Studio composite probably had 300-400 lines. hmmm.

Yeah, do a 2k scan of it! hehe

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on May 22, 2007)

Psip

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, I can't do that, but I do have a TP66 with a cam that claims 700 lines. The video looks pretty sweet coming off of it.

Fire me off an email. PSIPdetroit at gmail

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dispatch sent.

Yeah the 16 neg or reversal would have like 1000 lines.

But the resolution of the beam on the phosphor is what matters.

As long as it gets to digital!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.