Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » News bulletin -- Duh! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I subscribe to WDIV's news bulletin service (along with several others) to keep up with breaking news. Just now I got the following:

"Small Plane Lands In Pontiac Lake
"A float plane with pontoons on the bottom landed in Pontiac Lake on Friday."

Well, no shit, Dick Tracy. I suppose there's more to it than that, but it sure don't seem like any breaking news to me. Now, if a plane with pontoons on the bottom tried to land at Pontiac Airport, I suspect that WOULD be newsworthy.....:-)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it!

s

Small Plane Lands In Pontiac Lake

POSTED: 12:22 pm EDT May 18, 2007
UPDATED: 12:28 pm EDT May 18, 2007

Fly With 4 Over Small Plane Crash

A float plane with pontoons on the bottom landed in Pontiac Lake on Friday.

It is unclear at this time if the plane was landing or if it went down, according to Oakland County Sheriff's deputies.

There were people on board, deputies said, but no injuries have been reported.

Stay with Local 4 News and ClickOnDetroit.com for more information.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the same "breaking news" It must be a really slow news day. Inside the story it stated that the OC sherriff's office didnt know if it was a normal or emergency landing. Duh! it has FLOATS! is a small seaplane really that unusual that it merits "News?" Too bad KK didnt got to Hawaii, we could have got a BREAKING NEWS email every time he got another Mai Tai at the Tiki bar!

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a Ford Explorer was spotted doing 70 miles an hour on I-75 ... back to you Tammy

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the pontoons appeared to have broken and the plane landed on its side.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 316

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070518/NEWS03/ 70518025

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 has the story and picture. Yes it has pontoons but it looks like it crashed.

It's just so funny that WDIV published such a poorly written story.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On channel 7 it looked like the portside pontoon had collapsed. The portside wing was deeply submerged but seemed intact and in place. They said it was an older Piper Cub. No injuries.

Don't those pontoons also have wheels underneath for dry landings?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I never get my news from the TV. Your better off to monitor the scanner, or listen to AM radio, or just talk to a cabbie.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing about Channel 4 news that's been irritating me the more and more I notice it, is how they make an artform out of previewing a major, interesting story throughout the newscast, building the curiosity and excitement of the viewer all the way through to the end of the news. When they get to the story, there's not much more than a "yehp" in confirmation that the information in the preview is pretty much the whole story. ARG!

The Pontiac Lake accident is a perfect example.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I agree. Also, for international news, shortwave radio and select websites are far better than TV, IMHO.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shortwave is good too, but local SW is mostly God radio. Good choices Jimaz.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.